Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > CD-RW drive in a tray loading imac?

CD-RW drive in a tray loading imac?
Woehrle46
Jan 4, 2003, 05:00 PM

I have been looking into upgrading the cd drive in my tray loading imac, but all i could find specifically designed for it was a $200 drive that could only burn at 16x. I have seen faster and cheaper cd-rw drives commonly advertised in best buy's ad, yet i am not sure weather or not they are compatible with the connectors inside of my imac.Now my question is, if i were to modify the imac's case would i be able to connect a faster internal cd-rw drive?
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Crimson
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2003, 07:16 AM

just do a search on this forum, you'll find details on how to add second drive to your iMac, follow the directions, but with CD-RW... You'll need a power-splitter cable or separate powersupply for the drive (Old SCSI-box) and IDE-cable. The CD-RW will be slave to main HD, and the cable will run out from the iMac's side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules