Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What Can Leopard Client Do That Leopard Server Can't?

What Can Leopard Client Do That Leopard Server Can't?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 01:37 PM

I'm thinking of getting OS X Server for a machine already running Leopard and serving content in my small business. Looking through Apple's site, Leopard Server looks great, but I wondered what the client system can do that the server can't? On the surface, it looks like it's just regular client leopard with some great server add-ons. Is that true? Does it omit any functionality? Thanks for the thoughts!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 12:17 PM

More-or-less it is simply an add-on. But in practice you wipe the computer and start from scratch. Trust me, you don't want to try to hack around with 'Server. And you also do not want to be running 'Server as a desktop computer.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
More-or-less it is simply an add-on. But in practice you wipe the computer and start from scratch. Trust me, you don't want to try to hack around with 'Server. And you also do not want to be running 'Server as a desktop computer.
Sometimes there are a few Apple programs that check to see if they are running on Server and refuse to run if they are. Something about "inappropriate use of server resources" (note it does NOT say this, but by blocking execution of those apps this is implied).

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 02:46 PM

Very interesting. Thank you for this info. This server would at most pull up a few web pages and other files for playback, and otherwise would be simply serving, so it sounds like it should be ok. Does anyone have any more details? Thanks!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 08:38 PM

NB: You can do any simple server tasks on client version as well. They just don't have the same management tools. You can add free third party software to do more, if you wish, but would be hard pressed to match Apple's management tools in terms of ease of use and integration.

Personally, I'd never buy server version, as client version does everything I need, and I don't need a fancy GUI to do it with. But for non-expert users, the server version would be a big help.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 19, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
And you also do not want to be running 'Server as a desktop computer.
Why? We have a machine running server at work that is also used daily as the office managers desktop computer. 99% of things work exactly the same as on a non-server.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 10:19 PM

If you don't need a real server, why not use the client version?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 10:33 PM

The client version works fine, but the superior access control, iCal server, wiki server, and time machine spotlight indexing (among other things) would really be nice.

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 08:36 PM

iCal server is open source (Darwin Calendar Server) and will install on almost anything with the prerequisites installed (haven't tried it myself yet, but do plan to). Many freeware wiki's are available too.

paolomazzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
iCal server is open source (Darwin Calendar Server) and will install on almost anything with the prerequisites installed (haven't tried it myself yet, but do plan to). Many freeware wiki's are available too.
I've got exactly the same problem: Leopard Client runnin on a new MiniMac as server for a (very) small office.
I really don't need a server but I need a Wiki, an iCal server and some help for the rights management...

Can anyone suggest some software to use intead of installing the Leopard Server?

thanks guys,

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 12:17 PM

iMovie used to refuse to run on server - I don't know if this is still the case though.

I have installed an run the iCal server on Leopard client - it's very easy to do if you are familiar with unix-ish things, although configuration was a complete mystery to me.

You could download and install Media Wiki quite easily, although I don't think the user experience will be as nice as Apple's offering.

To be honest, if you're in a business that it's probably much more cost effective to just spend the moderate amount of money that server costs, than to waste you time (=money) fiddling with open source apps that will ultimately not feel as polished and integrated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
I've used it a fair bit, and delegation doesn't work optimally without an Open Directory server right now according to the developers, and OS X Server as I understand it makes configuring an OD server fairly easy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by paolomazzo View Post
I've got exactly the same problem: Leopard Client runnin on a new MiniMac as server for a (very) small office.
I really don't need a server but I need a Wiki, an iCal server and some help for the rights management...

Can anyone suggest some software to use intead of installing the Leopard Server?

thanks guys,
You can use any Wiki you like (Mediawiki is the one that drives the Wikipedia), iCal server can be installed on client or any other Unix OS (see my last post about delegation), and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by rights management and what your goals are there.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 05:31 PM

OS X Server can't (or won't) run iLife applications except for iTunes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yep. The iLife applications all check to see what they're running on and refuse to run if they see they're running on Server.

I don't understand why, because there's no technical reason why they can't run.

krove
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 08:48 PM

Bonjour printer sharing doesn't work out of the box. You have to turn on the built-in printer server.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Yep. The iLife applications all check to see what they're running on and refuse to run if they see they're running on Server.

I don't understand why, because there's no technical reason why they can't run.
Shall I post a screenshot tomorrow of iPhoto/iCal running on our server?
We're not talking xserves, are we?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2007, 12:12 AM

Why on Earth would you want to run iLife on a server anyway?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2007, 12:56 AM

Sometimes there are a few Apple programs that check to see if they are running on Server and refuse to run if they are. Something about "inappropriate use of server resources" (note it does NOT say this, but by blocking execution of those apps this is implied).
I don't think this is the case any more. Used to be in the Panther days but not anymore.

stukdog
Dec 1, 2007, 10:10 AM

It sounds like the Leopard client would work fine for what you want to do. The only limit would be that only 10 people could connect using AFP. (Though you can use FTP and SMB to get around that.)

In our data center, we have about 400 Macs running as servers for different people. The overwhelming majority of them just use the client. Out of the box it can do a lot, and if you need something like Mail or DNS there are 3rd party apps that make it real easy and can be had for under $30.
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I don't think this is the case any more. Used to be in the Panther days but not anymore.
iLife checks to see what it's running on and if it sees Server it refuses to run.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why on Earth would you want to run iLife on a server anyway?
Let's say you have a home network that you want to configure with advanced options not available via Apple's GUI under OS X client but are very easy to configure using OS X Server. So you install it on one of your machines.

Since it's not an internet server you might still want to be able to use that computer as a regular workstation as well.

The real point is that Apple shouldn't make those kinds of arbitrary decisions for the user. There is no technical reason for iLife not to be able to run on OS X Server.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by stukdog View Post
It sounds like the Leopard client would work fine for what you want to do. The only limit would be that only 10 people could connect using AFP. (Though you can use FTP and SMB to get around that.)
Also sshfs, which I think is even better than both.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2007, 03:51 PM

iLife checks to see what it's running on and if it sees Server it refuses to run.
06 and 08 do this? That would be a bug.

Forum Links
Forum Rules