Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Help! My iPhone 3G is dead!

Help! My iPhone 3G is dead!
helios410
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 02:21 AM

My iPhone 3G is getting "No Service" from AT&T after I attempted to quick-pwn my phone. I downloaded a clean 2.1 .ipsw update, and restored my phone, but still no luck. I also tried "reset network settings" in the settings menu.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? And additionally, if I take the phone to AT&T or Apple, will they somehow know this problem occurred through quick-pwn, even though the phone now appears to be completely at Apple's default settings?
( Last edited by helios410; Sep 14, 2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: more description of problem)

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2008, 08:36 AM

If you take it for service (either by mail or to an Apple store) you'll want to wipe it out entirely.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2008, 11:15 AM

Did you download iTunes 8? If you did, that update broke the jailbreak.

helios410  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 11:34 AM

I did install iTunes 8 - but I did so before using the quick-pwn for the updated 2.1 software.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2008, 12:23 PM

I can't remember where I read this, but I am pretty sure that iTunes 8 broke quick-pwn.

helios410  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 12:28 PM

iTunes 8 does break quick-pwn for 2.02, but the Dev team came back with an update to get around iTunes 8 that is for 2.1. This is version I installed.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/4998...r-2-1-firmware (New window)

UPDATE: Apparently my phone is fine. I went outside with it to take it to the Apple Store, and I got service within 5 minutes of leaving my apartment. I guess with the 2.1 update, I am now not getting coverage in my apartment, and that is why I thought there was an OS problem.
( Last edited by helios410; Sep 14, 2008 at 03:12 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules