Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple's Cook: 'Big plans' for 2014 that 'customers are going to love'

Apple's Cook: 'Big plans' for 2014 that 'customers are going to love'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 22, 2013, 05:38 PM

Apple CEO Tim Cook told employees of the iPhone maker that the company has big things on queue for 2014, fueling speculation that the next year could see multiple new Apple product families introduced. In an email obtained by 9to5Mac, Cook wished Apple employees a happy holiday season and thanked them for their contributions to the company's ongoing successes. The Apple chief also devoted space to discussing Apple's recent efforts toward encouraging diversity. One sentence, though, is likely of the most interest for Apple fans and investors: the one dealing with what Apple has planned for the near future.

"We have a lot to look forward to in 2014," Cook wrote, "including some big plans that we think customers are going to love."

Cook typically remains silent regarding Apple's plans for forthcoming products, carrying on in the tradition of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. Asked by analysts during a quarterly conference call what investors and consumers could expect from the Cupertino tech giant, Cook has only said that observers could expect "surprises," beginning with this year's launch of the new iPhone 5s and iPad Air and carrying on "throughout 2014."

Current speculation regarding Apple's plans centers on two rumored devices: a wearable "iWatch" device and the ever-rumored dedicated Apple television. Multiple patent applications and company acquisitions seem to indicate that the company is working on one or both products, but Apple has not revealed anything on either rumored device.

Also possibly in the offing is a refreshed MacBook that could replace the 11-inch MacBook Air. Connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that Apple will roll out an ultra-slim, clamshell form factor device that may pack a Retina display. That device is also said to be slated for release some time in the next year.

Cook devoted more words to detailing Apple's efforts toward increasing diversity. Apple as a company, Cook said, is standing for what it believes is right.

"We know that equality and diversity make our company and our society stronger," Cook wrote, "so we've urged the U.S. Congress to support workplace protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. We are also laser focused on our contribution to several environmental initiatives and we will increase our efforts even more in this area in the future."

Apple has continually backed efforts aimed at decreasing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender. The company has also pushed for reforms on immigration, reforms that Cook says will not only have a positive economic impact on the United States, but are also "the right thing to do."

cashxx
Dec 22, 2013, 06:31 PM

I'm worried about an ARM laptop coming out from Apple. I don't want to see it, but keep seeing references to it over the years.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2013, 06:54 PM

If it ran a full OS X, and ran it well, why would that matter?

I don't see that happening, though. There's no point in switching OS X to yet another architecture for a market that is going to become increasingly niche as iOS devices replace the mainstream.

azrich
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2013, 09:32 PM

IF Apple's own ARM variant replaces Intel chips in any Mac computers you can bet your sweet bippy that it'll be without compromise. Apple knows how to do transitions like that like no one else.

Personally- I don't give a *&^% which CPU/GPU is in my machine. I care about how it performs now, power consumption (for portables more than desktops), and how long it will last.

The merging of OS X and iOS on the desktop front has been bothering a few people, I can understand that being a source of worry. Still, I don't think the file system that we all know and love is going anywhere soon on our Macs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by azrich View Post
The merging of OS X and iOS on the desktop front has been bothering a few people, I can understand that being a source of worry. Still, I don't think the file system that we all know and love is going anywhere soon on our Macs.
There is no "merging" going on. Some interface elements are being transferred and were being unified (pre-iOS 7), but the two systems are and will be remaining distinct and separate.

azrich
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2013, 10:20 PM

I hear you Spheric, but there are a vocal few that really believe that's the goal. Things like LaunchPad and the FKA iWork Apps are blurring the lines. This is not my stance to defend, I'm just repeating it. I actually find it a bit odd because Apple likes to point out that each device is used differently and therefore should have it's own interface. That's me paraphrasing, but you get the drift. The actual files have to be usable on all the devices, but how we interact with them is different. That's my understanding.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2013, 10:28 PM

Exactly.

Wingsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2013, 06:09 AM

I recall Cook saying something very similar for 2013. And we got a fingerprint sensor (surprise, kinda) and a Mac Pro (long in coming). Wonder what's going to be different about this year?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2013, 06:17 AM

We also got an iPad mini at feature parity with the flagship model, which nobody was expecting.

And iOS 7.

And free Mavericks.

Coupled with the Mac Pro and the 5s, this somehow isn't enough for you?

Apple is doomed.

climacs
Senior User
Dec 23, 2013, 08:45 AM

^^^^^^^^

liked

Forum Links
Forum Rules