Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > List ya Tattoos!!!

List ya Tattoos!!!
SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 02:16 AM

I got a half sleeve of a japanese design, samurai on my arm and shoulder, with a face from a cover to Miles Davis's album Live Evil on the inside of the arm. Total tattoo time about 15 hours.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 03:05 AM

i really want one on my upper arm but am having trouble picking a design/pic. how did you decide? sorry to send the post a little off topic.

Cipher13
Mar 24, 2004, 03:18 AM

I have none as yet, but have several planned.

I have a rule: I must have wanted said tatoo for more than 3 years before I'll allow myself to get it. Just one effort to make sure I don't get something I'll get bored of.

There are one or two that now meet this pre-requisite... all are of my own design, apart from an Eye of Horus on the small of my back (the symbol has significance to me, it's not just "cool").

EDIT: passed 10000, just noticed... third time lucky?
( Last edited by Cipher13; Mar 24, 2004 at 03:27 AM. )

antizero
Mar 24, 2004, 03:36 AM

Half-sleeve of the Blessed Mother holding baby Jesus (roses & clouds for filler), cross on chest over heart, two angels on back (guardian on one shoulder, archangel on the other), passion heart on right calf, Jehovah fish on right ankle, Gargoyle on left ankle.

I have a great scene drawn out for a half-sleeve for the other arm - four horsemen riding out over the earth, with a crimson moon in the background and a silhouette of Calvary in the moon.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 06:10 AM

ghotirking
Mar 24, 2004, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
i really want one on my upper arm but am having trouble picking a design/pic. how did you decide? sorry to send the post a little off topic.
If you don't have one of your own designs...go to the tat shop. Look at all the tats. Several times. Pay mind to the ones that you keep coming back to.

ghotirking
Mar 24, 2004, 06:39 AM

"Danzig" demon skull and 'twist of cain' on the left arm: Pic
Kanji "Evil" on the right: Pic
They're 15 years old, due for touch ups/improvements and I'm way overdue for many many many more additional tats. I have to catch up to my piercings count, at least (which is at 5 for the time being).

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 11:13 AM

No tattoos.

I have O- blood type and you can't donate blood for one year if you have had a tattoo.

I do not want to be stopped from donating blood for that long.

I highly recommend you go out and donate blood.

Not just play hockey.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
No tattoos.

I have O- blood type and you can't donate blood for one year if you have had a tattoo.

I do not want to be stopped from donating blood for that long.

I highly recommend you go out and donate blood.

Not just play hockey.
I would love to donate blood, but needles and shots scare the hell out of me. I would seriously rather have someone punch me in the face and collect blood from my nose (I wouldn't even mind, that much).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 11:25 AM

i have AB, so bring on the tattoos
naaa, seriously, i do give blood.

i have three tattoos, all are going to get more work.

on the back of my left calf i have a character, a devious alien.
my left calf is a big tribal design, that will get a japanese sun wrapping around my calf
on the left side of my rib cage is a tribal, which will extend down to boxer shorts level and up around my back and to the top of my shoulder.

Cipher13
Mar 24, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
I would love to donate blood, but needles and shots scare the hell out of me. I would seriously rather have someone punch me in the face and collect blood from my nose (I wouldn't even mind, that much).
Even though you *know* it's just a phobia, and that they're harmless, and that it's for a good cause?

I give blood whenever I can; if you don't stress over it, it's very quick and painless. It only becomes an ordeal if you make it one.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2004, 11:26 AM

Seriously, why do people get tattoos?

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 11:26 AM

I have a tattoo of a butt.. on my butt.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Even though you *know* it's just a phobia, and that they're harmless, and that it's for a good cause?
Yeah. I'm ashamed to say it, but a day of stress, anxiety, and hyperventilation isn't worth it to me. I've never given blood before. I know that if I had to, I could. Heck, if I could just see the person that I would help by donating blood, I could do it.

I guess I really should work on overcoming the phobia, it's just never been a priority to me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 11:40 AM

have you gone to give blood before and got scared at the needles part, or can you just not go? maybe if you get there you will feel that it's not _that_ bad.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
have you gone to give blood before and got scared at the needles part, or can you just not go? maybe if you get there you will feel that it's not _that_ bad.
I've never gone, but have walked by the booths numerous times at college. Rationally, I know that it's not _that_ bad. But man, irrational phobias are difficult to overcome, especially if you've never made it a priority to try.

I know, I should.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Hey! I've got the same on the right side of my chest.

Let's see... I have:

1. a Rose Cross on my upper right arm (same as in my sig).

2. Tree of Life on my upper left arm

3. Eye of Ra on the right side of my chest

4. Sacred Heart on the left side of my chest

4. 6 winged seraphim on my back (8" diameter)

5. Alchemical symbol for Saturn on my left calf

6. Alchemical symbol for Jupiter on my right calf

7 & 8. Celtic knot anklets

and I have 2 more planned.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I like the artwork... plus I do enjoy the experience itself. The tat on my back took 2 sessions and 14 hours.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 12:12 PM

I want a tattoo of a butt, on my butt.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ghotirking
Mar 24, 2004, 02:20 PM

Why not?
Hell, dude, my MOTHER got her 1st tattoo for her 50th birthday (after years of giving me sh*t for my own tattooes).
Now I KNOW they're mainstream.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 03:11 PM

Individualism.

Chris

dencamp
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 04:24 PM

Of course there are hundreds of reasons, but I'll mention a few I've heard or read about:

1. To document a moment in time/memory
2. To bond with a group/show allegiance
3. Fad
4. Decoration, just like earrings, etc.
5. To identify yourself to others of a specific subculture
6. Because you killed a man in prison
7. Russian Gulag tradition held that tattoos were complex, symbolic means to tell an autobiography, assert rank, warn people, and much more
8. You find them attractive
9. To draw attention to an erogenous zone

Quick list while bored at work...

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
Of course there are hundreds of reasons, but I'll mention a few I've heard or read about:

1. To document a moment in time/memory
I would say that's one of the primary reasons people get tattoos. I know lots of people who got them when a friend/relative of theirs passed. If you get an identical one with a friend, it's a timeless physical expression of a powerful emotion.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 07:08 PM

It feels great getting a tattoo. Thats why i guess, and something meaningful helps too. I don't suggest picking something of the wall. Find someone famous near you, spend 150 an hour and get an original piece of art from an artist. I plan on finishing out my right sleeve, and getting a chest plate too.

and eventually get a tat on my penis. That will be a sweet deal.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 07:54 PM

i have a graffix joker on my back
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2004, 01:24 AM

I got this about a year ago, though the picture was taken just a couple days after. I waited about six months after settling on a design, and I'm happy with it. I'm thinking about a couple others - when I'm in a tshirt, just the one makes my arms feel sort of unbalanced. I designed it myself from two separate sources.

Triskelion design on left arm.
--

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 01:49 AM

I think go big? Why not. Small is cool, but big is better. Get at least a half sleeve for starters.

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2004, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
I think go big? Why not. Small is cool, but big is better. Get at least a half sleeve for starters.
Just wanted to be sure about it. My next idea is for my left shoulder, and is quite a bit bigger. It depends on what body part you're looking at too - I don't think something large would look good on the inside of my elbow.
--

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Mar 25, 2004, 04:23 AM

celtic tatoo (circle) on my left shoulder.

i wanna get another one on my underarm. another tribal...

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 11:54 AM

I got these in my late 20s (I'm 37 now). I took the design ideas from the navigation maps in the 1400-1500s.

My plan was to get a cloud blowing wind on my shoulder and a snake/sea serpent around my ankle. Alas, I found other ways to spend the money (Mac stuff), and my tattoo desire waned (and my artist died suddenly a few years ago).

I may go through with the serpent on my fortieth birthday.

On my other upper-arm are my first two: a more traditional cross with a heart and banner and a blue rose added to it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I like the artwork... plus I do enjoy the experience itself. The tat on my back took 2 sessions and 14 hours.
I can totally respect the artwork of many of them, and laugh at others. If I were to get one, it would probably be something similar (probably not in the same quantity, but you know what I mean)

I guess I'm simply tired of the fad end of it... "I'm so alternative that I need to get a tattoo and a bull ring!!!"
- Skull and crossbones
- Butterfly
- Mother

I have also seen some rather amazing tattoos.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I have none as yet, but have several planned.

I have a rule: I must have wanted said tattoo for more than 3 years before I'll allow myself to get it. Just one effort to make sure I don't get something I'll get bored of.

There are one or two that now meet this pre-requisite... all are of my own design, apart from an Eye of Horus on the small of my back (the symbol has significance to me, it's not just "cool").

EDIT: passed 10000, just noticed... third time lucky?
Congratulations on your 10,000th post Cipher13.

This is easy for me, I don't have any tattoos.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2004, 01:10 PM

I like the idea of the three year rule... some would think "that's too long" others would say "that's not long enough"

I found the UV tattoos interesting... only show up under a black light...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2004, 02:03 PM

I like the idea of the three year rule... some would think "that's too long" others would say "that's not long enough"

I found the UV tattoos interesting... only show up under a black light...
It's a good rule. I waited about that long before I got my first one (after I started thinking about getting one) and have meticulously planned all my others. Hell, I was 31 before I got my first tat... and I'm now 34 (8 in 3 years ).
- Thomas Paine

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 06:36 PM

chek out Hopegallerytattoo.com some of the best artists in the country and world!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules