Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > upgrading a Performa 5200CD

upgrading a Performa 5200CD
AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2001, 09:48 AM

I was wondering if there was any way for me to swap a different motherboard into my Performa 5200CD. I saw a 6200 mb and it looked very similar in size. Would something like this work, though? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to get a mb that could run some version of Linux on it, because right now the 5200 can't.

Thanks

<takeiteasy>
Jul 20, 2001, 11:40 PM

You can upgrade from your 75 MHz mb to a max 120 Mhz mb which came on the 6320 performas. These boards are available on ebay. I recently got a 100MHz board brand new for $60 because my 6200 crapped out. They're easy to instal &lt; 5 min. As far as Linux I don't know. These boards have a max 72 MB of Ram. Although I've heard that they make 64 meg 72 pin SIMM's fthat make work. Good Luck http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/cool.gif

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2001, 03:41 AM

I would suggest getting another 5xxx series motherboard. The 5xxx and 6xxx series have enough case differences that the motherboards aren't universal. As a general rule the motherboards for the 62xx and 63xx are interchangeable. Anything on the 5xxx is interchangeable and the 6400-6500 motherboards are all interchangeable. But don't go out and purchase a 6xxx motherboard unless you are absolutly sure about compatibility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules