Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Change my hard-drive - void my warranty?

Change my hard-drive - void my warranty?
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 06:11 PM

I know that, in theory, if I replace my hard drive in my 1.67 15inch pb, it will void my Applecare. However, I have heard mixed reports about whether Apple actually refuses unrelated warranty repairs based on this. What experience do people have with this? Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2007, 10:04 PM

Read here. However, this page does not list the hard drive as a "user installable" part. That tells me that the hard drive isn't user replacable, so it probably would void the warranty.

I can't speak to the issue of whether or not Apple quibbles about this sort of thing in dealing with unrelated problems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks! I know that it would void the warranty, I was interested in whether people had had experience about whether this is a sticking point for warranty claims in practice. Thanks for the links though!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 10:33 PM

I've had warranty service after replacing my own hard drive. They didn't give me any problems at all. YMMV.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2007, 10:53 PM

Unlike some other OEMs, if you void the warranty on one part, Apple considers the warranty to be voided on the entire machine [I have first-hand experience with this]. That said, they may overlook it if you do a 'clean' job of the swap.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 19, 2007, 05:50 AM

Personally, I wouldn't be looking to give them an excuse for not dealing with any serious issues you might suffer down the line. Why save a few pounds now if it could cost you several hundred later? If you must upgrade, get an authorised retailer to do it.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 07:00 PM

Yep, the only thing is that I use the machine for work, and will have to send it away to get it done. That's at least 4 days. Which is expensive for me.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2007, 07:42 PM

I've sent my MBP for repair twice with the swapped drive, and they did not complain.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 08:19 PM

I think the drive on an MBP is a user replaceable part.

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I'd like to find that stated somewhere on Apple's site. I can't find the typical "this is how you change out" DIY documentation that you DO find for the MacBook's hard drive. And I wouldn't mind going larger with my MBP's drive either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

uicandrew
Senior User
May 19, 2007, 10:27 PM

i have to strenuously disagree. on the macbook (13") it is a user replaceable part. on the macbook pro, it is FAR more invasive, and you have to take the whole macbook pro apart.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

kevcbacon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2007, 11:04 PM

My question would be, as long as you do it right and don't damage the machine how would they know it wasn't done by an authorized service center?

I think your only concern would be if you damaged the machine while performing the upgrade. They are obviously not going to fix that under warranty and they would probably void your warranty at that point.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 01:32 AM

My friend bought a MBP weeks ago at the Apple retail store. He's a switcher and pretty computer savvy, he later told me that performing a hard drive upgrade by himself will void the warranty.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 20, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
My friend bought a MBP weeks ago at the Apple retail store. He's a switcher and pretty computer savvy, he later told me that performing a hard drive upgrade by himself will void the warranty.
when i had the hard drive replaced on my previous powerbook, i was told (by apple support) that having it replaced by an authorized technician only would NOT void the warranty...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 03:27 PM

To reiterate, I know it will void the warranty, I was wondering how much of a stickler for this Apple was...

majordude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 09:10 PM

To reiterate, I know it will void the warranty, I was wondering how much of a stickler for this Apple was...
"I know that there is gravity but do all things fall towards earth?"

Peeb, seriously, are you going to take the words of perfect strangers? "I'm sorry Ms. Apple Genius, majordude said you were cool with me voiding the warantee." Duh.
 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM and fast 7200 100GB HD
"Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend..." — Steely Dan

rach
Forum Regular
May 21, 2007, 04:18 AM

If when you upgrade you cause damage then Apple will not cover it but if you upgrade without an issue then i do not believe that you will void your warranty.
Your HD warranty obviously will be voided though and if anything happens to it you will be responsible for it in the future and not Apple.
I asked this question before and like what is being posted here i was told that people had upgraded in the past and that their Applecare was honoured.

I upgraded myself and then i put the drive back in when i wanted to change it to a another drive and get my laptop looked at. All i got for my work was an invoice for the upgrade. It does not go on any Apple records.

If you want peace of mind though have an authorised technician to do it. Also, if you do not feel confident in upgrading it maybe best to leave it.
( Last edited by rach; May 21, 2007 at 04:53 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by rach View Post
If when you upgrade you cause damage then Apple will not cover it but if you upgrade without an issue then i do not believe that you will void your warranty.
This is correct.

If you **** it up, you've lost your warranty.

If you know exactly what you're doing, the machine is still under warranty.

Swapping the hard drive in the ProBooks and Alu Powerbooks is a total bitch, though.

Xarthan
May 21, 2007, 10:59 AM

an easy solution is to become an authorized technician yourself.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rach View Post
I upgraded myself and then i put the drive back in when i wanted to change it to a another drive and get my laptop looked at. All i got for my work was an invoice for the upgrade. It does not go on any Apple records.
Ingenious, I upgrade PRAM, HDD even OD multiple times using thie guide:
PowerBook G4 Al 15" 1.5/1.67 BT 2.0 LR Disassembly: Installing Hard Drive - PowerBook Parts
Good for 15" 1.67 HR as well.
Cheers
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by kevcbacon View Post
My question would be, as long as you do it right and don't damage the machine how would they know it wasn't done by an authorized service center?

I think your only concern would be if you damaged the machine while performing the upgrade. They are obviously not going to fix that under warranty and they would probably void your warranty at that point.
Well, the original drive is Apple labeled - I assume Apple service centers leave a sticker or something in there.
Anyway, I bit the bullet and did this last week with no issues. I'll let you know if I have warranty issues!

jogi
Dec 20, 2007, 03:41 AM

In UK the warranty is voided even if the replacement is made by an apple authorized service point...

I've asked a couple and their response was that the hard drive was not made for the macbook pro, hence they cant guarantee that it will work and it will void the warranty. However, both offered to replace it, if I wanted.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2007, 10:19 AM

Can't guarantee that it will work? That's funny!

Forum Links
Forum Rules