Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > question for mbp 17 with invisible shield or applepeelz

question for mbp 17 with invisible shield or applepeelz
uicandrew
Senior User
May 26, 2007, 10:23 PM

hey guys. i already did a search, and i didn't find an answer.

i have a 17 mbp and i want to get a "shield" for it.

does the invisible shield cover the area above and below the trackpad? on the 15" invisible shield, it doesn't cover the area above and below it.

i think the applepeelz for 17 mbp covers the area above and below the trackpad.

thanks!
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

jlit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2007, 03:08 AM

I've seen the invisible shield, and I don't think the 17 will be any different from the 15. On my mbp, I have something called a wrist rug - it's a micro fiber sued-like material that fits around the whole area, not just the two squares like the invisible shield. Bummer thing though - it catches dirt and oils quite a bit.

The problem I have with the invisible shields is this. It's going to help against scratch and abrasion - crap like that, but it isn't going to give you any kind of physical protection from dents or anything. I use a case made by uniea - it fits the outside snugly, has a firm backing that covers the corners so you are better against dents, and I have it in a sleek black leather so it looks pretty nice. Plus - it's about as much as an invisible shield would be.

check out http://www.uniea.com/u-suit-mkp.htm

coppertop79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 10:52 AM

the coverage on the 17" macbook is equivalent to the coverage on the 15" seen here: Apple MacBook Pro 15" - Full Body Shield

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2007, 01:18 PM

In my opinion, ApplePeelz does a nicer job of covering the machine, and their die-cutting is excellent.

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2007, 06:17 PM

thanks guys! another follow up question....

how does the quality and thickness of the material of applepeelz compare to the invisible shield?

there aren't a lot of reviews of applepeelz but the google results show one review where the user complains about one he got for his powerbook (yeah, so it was a while back) and says it is like vinyl.

your thoughts?
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2007, 06:42 PM

It's the same material--made by 3M.

Forum Links
Forum Rules