Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple releases OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan final

Apple releases OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan final
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 8, 2015, 02:30 PM

On Tuesday, Apple released a public version of OS X 10.11.2, which has in been in beta for the last seven weeks. The release marks the second update to El Capitan since its release at the very end of September, and largely corrects flaws in the reliability of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mail (with regards to Exchange accounts), transferring photos to a Mac using USB, and iCloud Photo Sharing for Live Photos. There are also many smaller tweaks to performance, stability, and general bug-squashing in the new update.

The update is or will soon appear in Software Update for users currently running earlier versions of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, as Apple tends to stagger availability to avoid bandwidth shortages for users. While the 10.11.2 release does offer some visible-but-minor changes to many built-in programs -- such as allowing more extensions to be available inside third-party in-app browsers, or the addition of AT&T's "NumberSync" technology -- the release is focused on "improving the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac," according to the company's release notes.

It is expected that the first beta of 10.11.3 will appear in the next week or so, as is normal for the OS update cycle. Developers are likely to get their first look at OS X 10.12 at the Worldwide Developers Conference, expected to be held in June, with a public release expected next fall. In the meantime, the company will continue to work on updates for El Capitan and its other OS releases, such as today's updates to iOS 9 and tvOS.

Some OS X releases, such as Snow Leopard (10.6) had as many as eight updates before the end of its cycle, though modern releases such as Yosemite generally see five updates before being replaced, as the company generally shoots for once-a-year releases. Apple posted five versions of the 10.11.2 release to developer and public testers, but it is as yet unclear if the release resolves a few remaining user issues, like inconsistent performance of the VIP smart mailbox in Mail.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 8, 2015 at 02:30 PM. )

BradMacPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2015, 03:52 PM

I see no combo update posted to Apple's web site, so I won't update until I see that (and use that).
https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/macos

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 8, 2015, 03:56 PM

If history is any indication, the combo update will get posted about 4PM ET.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 8, 2015, 03:58 PM

Mine still says 10.11 Beta and I don't see 10.11.2 in Software Update, at least not yet. Maybe later today.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2015, 04:00 PM

"The release marks the second update to El Capitan [...] and largely corrects flaws in the reliability of Wi-Fi"

I very much doubt that. Wi-Fi on OS X has been a minor desaster for as long as I can remember (consistent network discovery, joining networks, etc.), and I do not have much faith that 10.11.2 will magically fix that.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2015, 04:02 PM

I had some issues with disconnects in the early betas of 10.11.1, but haven't seen a problem since then. However, having said that, I primarily connect to a 5GHz network at home and whatever is available at public hotspots, so I haven't tested all configurations.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 8, 2015, 04:09 PM

And.reg. I believe you need to remove your machine from the beta program before you will get non-beta updates.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2015, 04:31 PM

FM: I don't believe that's the case, though I can't test it at the moment. I know that my iPad gets the "final" releases of iOS 9 even though it is on the iOS 9 beta program, so it is likely that the OS X drive I use for beta testing OS X is the same, though it has been a while so I'll have to check on that. I haven't yet seen the 10.11.2 release on my non-beta boot drive, though I'm in Canada at the moment and it may take a little while to show up.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 8, 2015, 04:40 PM

OS X 10.11.2 installed successfully.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 8, 2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flying Meat View Post
And.reg. I believe you need to remove your machine from the beta program before you will get non-beta updates.
Why? How do I do that? No one ever told me that there was a requirement that I had to leave the beta program. I never had to "get off" any beta program when I was on the 10.10 beta to update to 10.10.1.

Also, if I am on the beta program, then how come I have never gotten any 10.11.2 betas? It says I am on 10.11 Beta.

Also, why is the Combo updater giving me this error message?

It tells me: "OS X El Capitan Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

Also, why is the App Store preference not indicating that I am enrolled in the beta program when About This Mac Clearly tells me that I am on 10.11 beta?

(Due to the nature of this forum thread, I am unable to post attachments showing my screenshots.)

I am so confused.

Can somebody help?
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Dec 9, 2015 at 10:25 AM. )

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 9, 2015, 12:53 PM

And.reg
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

Ham Sandwich
Dec 9, 2015, 03:20 PM

I already read through that, and it did not answer any of my questions.

Concerning erase-and-reinstall... I did not have to do that to get off the Yosemite beta program, and I definitely am not seeing other beta users having to do that.

So, I need more help.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 10, 2015, 05:06 PM

It appears you do not have to "remove yourself from the beta program". Go to the Mac App Store and acquire the shipping version of El Capitan.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 10, 2015, 08:47 PM

Alright I'll try that.

Though I still do not understand why I have not received any updates of 10.11.2 betas. I tried asking on the Apple forums, and my thread got removed, because something about registered developers only. So, where do I ask registered developers only my questions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules