Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual layer 16x DVD burner questions

Dual layer 16x DVD burner questions
mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 01:49 AM

I was looking at an ebay auction and saw a dual layer pioneer bunerner 108d which the seller claimed was natively supported by itunes, idvd and so on, but on macsales.com they are selling the 108(im not sure if there is a difference between 108 and 108d) and they claim it isnt nativly supported. Does anyone know if this drive is infact natively supported and if there is a difference between the dvr-108 and dvr0-108d.

Thanks.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 03:29 AM

I guess with or without 'D' shouldn't make a big difference. My 11mons old DVD burner, a Pioneer DVR-106D(4x), was supported under Apple System Profiler right out of the box. Anyway, since Apple shipped the 106 on the PowerMac G4, so it's a given.

On the DVR-108 side, it doesn't show up on the Apple System Profiler as "Apple Supported/Shipped" right out of the box under 10.3.7. I ran PatchBurn and it worked fine. Meanwhile, iTunes 4.7 recognized the drive without any third-party application, but I didn't try testing.

Second, I also flash the firmware from 1.14 to 1.18.

By checking out xlr8yourmac.com, all 108 users ran PatchBurn as last checked.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by mattshepherd:
I was looking at an ebay auction and saw a dual layer pioneer bunerner 108d which the seller claimed was natively supported by itunes, idvd and so on, but on macsales.com they are selling the 108(im not sure if there is a difference between 108 and 108d) and they claim it isnt nativly supported. Does anyone know if this drive is infact natively supported and if there is a difference between the dvr-108 and dvr0-108d.

Thanks.
Funny thing is....most of the new Mac models with Superdrives actually ARE DVR-108's. You do a check with System Profile and it will tell you it's a Pioneer DVR-117D. BUT, actually take a look at the drive and it's labeled a 108. Apple has crippled the 108 (probably for compatibility with iApps and lower noise) with the firmware and it isn't "natively" supported but can be used with a little elbow grease. You can actually flash the firmware and use a program like Patchburn to get the Mac to recognize and use the Superdrive to do stuff like DL burns. Of course, if you screw it up, your drive is screwed and you've voided your warranty.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 03:25 AM

So I can buy a 108 and burn DL media with toast?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by SafariX:
So I can buy a 108 and burn DL media with toast?
Sure.. I burnt 2 DVD+Rs DL so far without any problem.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 11:42 PM

I have a DVR 108 on a dual G4.

Right now it's only showing up in toast as able to burn a 4.7DVD at 4x in Toast.

Am I missing something? I did the firmware update to 1.18, so I don't think that's the problem.

Thoughts?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by slider:
I have a DVR 108 on a dual G4.

Right now it's only showing up in toast as able to burn a 4.7DVD at 4x in Toast.

Am I missing something? I did the firmware update to 1.18, so I don't think that's the problem.

Thoughts?
Toast version 6.0.7?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2005, 01:26 PM

I was a bit disappointed to confirm that I only have a 107-D. But then I took a look at another forum's thread on the subject and found that quite a few people who have attempted to patch up their 117s to 108s have had issues.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 01:49 PM

No issues with my DVR-108...errr. I mean 117
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Toast version 6.0.7?
Yeah, I think it was an issue of media. I just got some new DVD-R 8X and Toast is showing it as burnable at 8X and 12X. The other media was suppose to be 8X and was a DVD+R. don't know why it only showed up as 4X.

I also just noted the DVD-DL option in the toast window, nice

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 09:50 AM

I have one of these.

http://www.mcetech.com/dvdr16xdt-d.html

works awsome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules