Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nokia: No shame?

Nokia: No shame?
QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2010, 02:09 AM

Nokia has added the iPad to their patent suit against Apple:

Nokia Adds iPad to Patent Suit Against Apple - NYTimes.com

Does this company have no shame?
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2010, 02:59 AM

I liked the term I saw the other day for this: sue-age.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 8, 2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuadG5Man View Post
Desperate people do desperate things.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2010, 05:09 AM

If Apple was in the same position as Nokia right now, they'd do EXACTLY the same thing.

I like Apple's products, but anyone who thinks that they're some sort of philanthropists needs their head examined.

In fact what this probably shows more than anything, is that Patent Law in its present form, is completely unworkable.

OreoCookie
May 8, 2010, 06:20 AM

As a matter of fact: Apple has done the same, it has sued HTC for patent infringement. Microsoft has also claimed that HTC violates some of its own patents, but chose to ally itself with HTC instead of pursuing this in court.
This whole patent system has become a joke: instead of making sure that people can profit from innovation, it stifles innovation.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2010, 11:39 AM

Oh, don't get me started on Microsoft coming after HTC and other partners.

Cold Warrior
May 8, 2010, 12:09 PM

Don't forget we have a Nokia 'gone wrong' sue-age thread here too http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...one-all-wrong/

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
In fact what this probably shows more than anything, is that Patent Law in its present form, is completely unworkable.
The patent law isn't the problem, IMHO. it's the interpretation and execution of those laws that are the problem. The fact that it takes months or even years to bring these matters in front of a judge doesn't help the matter either, as it only encourages infringers to infringe.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The patent law isn't the problem, IMHO. it's the interpretation and execution of those laws that are the problem. The fact that it takes months or even years to bring these matters in front of a judge doesn't help the matter either, as it only encourages infringers to infringe.
You need to read some of the stupid cases involving patents, not just IT stuff either.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 8, 2010, 03:15 PM

Nokia is dying and they're trying to keep Apple from plunging the knife in deeper. Apple just made a better product, and they certainly weren't aiming for Nokia. I mean they've always launched first in the US where Nokia has no strength, where Nokia practically ignored the market. Nokia can only blame themselves for their continual failure.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2010, 05:37 PM

Gruber says Nokia thinks EVERY 3G device violates their patents.

Sue-age. Funny.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2010, 06:38 PM

Nokia are dying in NA, but not in Europe. Symbian is still has a huge user base.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 8, 2010, 08:25 PM

They're seeing worldwide market share drops as a result of both Apple and RIM. The fact is that the BlackBerry OS is already a better OS for business users, and Apple has a much better OS for consumers. That plus Android has brought all the other major players up to parity and beyond with Symbian... Nokia has been betting their company on a losing strategy for a while now.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuadG5Man View Post
Actually, Apple wants to pay for Nokia's patents, but they couldn't agree on a price. So, they are going to court. Really, nothing to see here.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 10, 2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Actually, Apple wants to pay for Nokia's patents, but they couldn't agree on a price. So, they are going to court. Really, nothing to see here.
So, they can't agree to the price, so they steal the technology instead? Nice.

OreoCookie
May 10, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
So, they can't agree to the price, so they steal the technology instead? Nice.
No, it's not like this: big companies exchange big packets of patents. It's not that these patents are necessarily valid or enforceable, it's usually just cheaper to have a `peace treaty' instead of a drawn-out lawsuit. Nokia wants to milk Apple while it can. Apple doesn't want to be forced by Nokia to pay what they ask for. It's not `poor Nokia is being ripped off by Apple' nor is it `poor Apple being ripped off by Nokia.'

Plus, Apple could counter-sue Nokia for all the patents they supposedly violate. Oh wait, they did!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 03:32 PM

The concept of what's happening here isn't anything new in the market. It happens all the time; I'm certain that Apple and Nokia have had probably hundreds of successful exchanges over the past decade, or maybe even longer. What is different about this is that Nokia is basically claiming that Apple never had permission to use even a "basic" technology like 3G. It's a pretty ridiculous suit that will probably be settled out of court. I think Nokia wants to stir up public outcry. They want the average Joe to think that Apple is stealing someone's proprietary technology and making a buttload of cash while poor Nokia is pushed into obscurity. Of course that's just me speculating.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 03:42 PM

I don't think that the Average Joe ever even hears about these lawsuits, let alone is incited enough for there to be a "public outcry".

Like Oreo says, Nokia wanted in on Apple's piece of the cake while it's still small and Nokia has some clout.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't think that the Average Joe ever even hears about these lawsuits, let alone is incited enough for there to be a "public outcry".
Right, which is why I think that Nokia is trying so hard.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 04:53 PM

If Nokia has legit patents on the used cell phone technology (and it appears that Apple acknowledges this), then it is not shameful for Nokia to enforce these patents. If Apple believes it is being treated unfairly by Nokia's licensing demands, then it is not shameful of Apple to have a court sort this out. Both parties are doing the right thing here.

Apple's counter-suit on the other hand appears to be full of trivial patents. They could disgrace themselves with that one.

OreoCookie
May 10, 2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Apple's counter-suit on the other hand appears to be full of trivial patents. They could disgrace themselves with that one.
It's got nothing to do with whether or not they're embarrassing themselves, it's just a normal strategical move in such a situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules