Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The best mouse?

The best mouse?
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 12:27 PM

I'm looking at buying a new mous for my PowerBook and I can't decide. Shoud I go for the miniature 2 button + Scroll wheel mouse or the full size 4 button mouse? I do graphics design and games so i think the 4 buttons would be great, but when I travel, a smaller mouse would be easier to handle in the car or on a plane. But, since the mice are optical I can use either of them anywhere... So, who has what and which one is best? I'm looking at the Kensington PocketMouse, Mobile Optical Mouse and the Kensington Mouse-In-A-Box Optical Pro. Any other good ones out there?

Thanks,
moofman

amphibious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 12:38 PM

The best most ever, without question, is the Logitech Mouseman. I've three versions of it. Just waiting for them to release an optical cordless one... they released one a couple months about but not with the Mouseman body.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 01:13 PM

i personally like the *cough* microsoft intellimouse *cough* the best. i use it both on my tower and on my laptop. great mouse.

Joelwins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 01:17 PM

I've just bought myself a Mouse-In-A-Box Optical Pro. The software that came with it didn't seem too overjoyed to be inside my PowerBook, but a more recent version from the internet was happier.

I like the mouse. I read one review in which it was criticised for being too small, but if you're considering the pocket mouse as an alternative, then I guess that won't bother you.

Multiple buttons & scroll wheel is nice, BUT think about how much you'll use the external mouse with the machine. If it's going to be a continuous peripheral, then fine. If not, the lack of a scroll wheel when you regress to just using the trackpad can be a right pain in the proverbial .

admac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 01:25 PM

the best mouse i've used is the logitech mouseman wheel optical, or somesuch. anyway, it's the blue one with the scroll wheel and the optical tracking. great size and the buttons and wheel have a good feel. the second on my list would probably be the microsoft intellimouse optical. the white/beige one, not the silver one (which i also have). the silver one is just huge and hard to manipulate with your fingers. although, i do miss the extra two side buttons from that big honking silver mouse.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 01:43 PM

The Kensington Mouse-in-a-box optical pro is by far the best. Macworld did a review of some optical mice a few issues back. They loved the kensington software the best of all, w/ the microsoft in second. I take this mouse everywhere I go, even though i dont have a laptop. I take it to work, back home, to computer labs, and to friends when we do gaming. It is plug and play on the mac, providing basic click,right click, and scroll functions, w/ out even installing software (at least for OS X, not sure about 9, but most likely).

MrK
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by amphibious:
<STRONG>The best most ever, without question, is the Logitech Mouseman. I've three versions of it. Just waiting for them to release an optical cordless one... they released one a couple months about but not with the Mouseman body.</STRONG>
I am using the optical cordless mousman as we speak. I got it yesterday from buy.com for $70. It replaces my mouseman cordless rollerball at the office.

For PB'ing on the road, I have a black Belkin 3 button scroll optical that matches the exterior of my Pismo. I just gave my MacAlly iOptinet mouse to a friend at work. Nice colored faceplates, but lousy feel.

Speaking of lousy feel, unless you like the feeling of a loose, used mouse, stay away from Microcrap. All my PC friends have the el-cheapo MicroCrap Intellimouse and the scroll wheel feels like it was attached with elmers glue. Ugh. No resistance.

I hate trackpads and rollerballs and buy mice like a wino buys Thunderbird.Get the Logitech Mouseman optical... cordless if you don't game, corded if you do.

Use USB Overdrive not the crappy software that comes with all mice, including Kensington mice. 4 buttons, scroll, good to go. It is a little bulky if you have a small laptop bag, but you can get a mini-optical mouse for $20 to take with you on the road.

You really can't own enough mice.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2001, 06:13 PM

also using the optical Logitech wheel mouse, 2 buttons, scroll wheel.
works great with my pismo, 9.1...
control panel works great.

recommended...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 11:32 PM

The Logitech wireless brings no regrets; I absolutely love its silvery color (Like the PB) and the ability to right click and get a menu. I discovered this accidently (I guess a reflex action from Windows. All this and no need to program for right clicking!!!

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: buddy1065 ]

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2001, 12:07 AM

Why do I need the chord if I'm gaming? It seems that it would be better if it was cordless...

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2001, 12:24 AM

I love my Intellimouse Explorer, which I bought as soon as it came out. It's still great, and the back and forward buttons are great.

acadian
Senior User
Jul 11, 2001, 12:25 AM

I use the Microsoft Intellimouse, has great feel and programability. Also complements the Ti. I have tried the Logitech wireless optical with similar functionality to the Intellimouse but, found it's ergonomics unpleasing.
people ruin everything....

amphibious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by moofman:
<STRONG>Why do I need the chord if I'm gaming? It seems that it would be better if it was cordless...</STRONG>
it tracks much better.

Cipher13
Jul 11, 2001, 05:10 AM

The best mice ever:

Pro mouse, puck mouse, ADB mouse II.

And a no-name 3 button USB ball mouse I have - the best gaming mouse.

I hate the Intellimouse - its big, chunky, heavy, and slow. It just doesn't glide nicely

The Pro rules, though right now, I'm using my puck.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 09:21 AM

yup, one more vote for the logitech optical mouse.
it's great. works like a charm, usable by both left and right handed people (important to me),
and looks sweet... what can i say?

whatever mouse you use, get usb overdrive and throw away the software it came with!
by far the best advice i can give you.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by AppleCello:
<STRONG>The Kensington Mouse-in-a-box optical pro is by far the best. Macworld did a review of some optical mice a few issues back. They loved the kensington software the best of all, w/ the microsoft in second. I take this mouse everywhere I go, even though i dont have a laptop. I take it to work, back home, to computer labs, and to friends when we do gaming. It is plug and play on the mac, providing basic click,right click, and scroll functions, w/ out even installing software (at least for OS X, not sure about 9, but most likely). </STRONG>
I'm gonna second this. The scroll wheel is a bit shaky, but I love the software the Kensington ships. Dig up that MacNN review on the optical mice and it'll help you out.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2001, 05:30 PM

Cipher13, we agree on one thing. Intellimouse Explorer is crap.

But I wonder if you've ever actually used one.

You say "big, clunky, heavy..."

When actually it just feels cheap and light. It's actually much TOO light for the size. It feels like a baby's toy rattle. The buttons are sooo looose. It feels cheap, and the silver finish on mine lasted about three months before it turned into a dirty-looking grey (and my hands are clean -- so don't give me any of that).

The best mouse I've ever used is the Pro mouse, by far. (I guess that's two things we agree on). I don't miss the three extra buttons, and I hardly miss the scroll wheel. As a graphic pro, I can say that the Pro Mouse tracks MUCH better than the MS mouse. In fact, the Pro Mouse tracks better than any mouse I've ever had. I can actually draw freehand in FreeHand and make clean selections and brush strokes in Photoshop. And it looks so incredible next to my TiBook!

I'm not a gamer, but if I want to play a game, I'll just plug in an eight button joystick. Fools.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2001, 05:43 PM

Double-poste.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: tonton ]
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

<jonathan from ai>
Jul 11, 2001, 06:15 PM

HELL YEAH, tonton.

you put it excellently... when I get my Ti... it will be a pro mouse that accompanies it, not that cheap-feeling baby rattle that they call the MS Explorer Mouse.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2001, 06:33 PM

For desktop use with my Ti, I have the new Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro. It's huge but fabulous. Runs perfectly in OSX and OS9.1
Of course, for the road, with the iBook and the Pismo, if I need a mouse, I have the Targus (black) mini optical with scroll wheel and USB Overdrive software.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 08:08 PM

<STRONG>
I am using the optical cordless mousman as we speak. I got it yesterday from buy.com for $70. It replaces my mouseman cordless rollerball at the office.
</STRONG>
The wireless optical mouseman is redesigned from the original. I own both, and have to say that I like the new body design better, but the button positions on the older one is superior. The buttons on the wireless optical are not as well thought-out and often not big enough.
I have the intellimouse too, the 5th button is virtually useless, and its light and feels cheap...at least its optical...

if you are on the road, I recommend an optical trackball...provide much better tracking when you are in bed or something :-p
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 08:51 PM

the hockey puck was ok, now the Pro Optical is the best! it is very precise and comfortable, and looks really nice next to my Pismo

One button is good enough.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 09:44 PM

posting again...
2 buttons are great, i use the right button where one click works as a double-click, great function.
and the scroll wheel rules...

logitech optical wheel mouse.
cheap, simple control panel.

& works for us lefties
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2001, 03:51 AM

I like a mouse that's tiny. I use the iMouse Jr.

PeteWK

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2001, 03:54 AM

Tonton...try playing a Necro, trying to direct 1 iron golem, 4 skeleton mages with Mephisto running up your butt and all his blood lords and unique spirits trying to kill you on a joystick. That don't work.

I don't want a trackball. I got one last year, used it about a week, hated it, gave it to my parents. They love. Trackballs don't work for me. I prefer mice.

It's definately going to be optical, but I'd prefer it to have at least 2, if not 3 buttons.

Do those mini-mice have two buttons? or is that just one big one with a scroll wheel? The pics are too small to tell.

Cipher13
Jul 12, 2001, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by tonton:
<STRONG>Cipher13, we agree on one thing. Intellimouse Explorer is crap.

But I wonder if you've ever actually used one.

You say "big, clunky, heavy..."

When actually it just feels cheap and light. It's actually much TOO light for the size. It feels like a baby's toy rattle. The buttons are sooo looose. It feels cheap, and the silver finish on mine lasted about three months before it turned into a dirty-looking grey (and my hands are clean -- so don't give me any of that).</STRONG>
Yeah, I've used one . Its on the dual 500.
I find it heavy compared to the puck and my gaming mouse. It does feel cheap and hollow though - I think hollow is a better word seeing as I DO think its too heavy.

It just doesn't "glide" like it should.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 12, 2001, 04:09 PM

I didn't catch this thread in time.... but PLEASE... this thread really belongs in the Peripherals forum, since the ONLY hardware in question is a mouse, which is clearly NOT a PowerBook!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules