Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Opinion: Ghost Recon

Opinion: Ghost Recon
ambush
Banned
Jul 25, 2003, 12:01 PM

I know I'm late, but hey um....... just read it

I tried Ghost Recon, and I have to say I'm very disappointed.

Back in my GameRanger days, I was an addict of the Tom Clancy games: Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear. Both were great games, and they were unique games on the mac. I played both games almost 4 years online with GR people.

The games were fun and addicting but used to crash a LOT under OS 9. So on a typical day of gaming, I'd have to restart at least, what, 10 times?

I got sick of it, eventually, and started toying with Quake 3's "realistic" mod, UrbanTerror.

I know the games are two different styles, but on the net, the tactical/planning/mission part of RS and R6 was not very important, anyway.

- In R6/RS you can't jump of Cliffs/mountains it's soo boring.

- The Quake3 engine beats the R6/RS engine HANDS DOWN.

- Team survival AND team DM options + CTF = wow.

- You can see your GUN IN FRONT OF YOU! FINALLY! YAY!

- The netcode is very very very very superior.

- MODS ARE FREE

So I went on and played UrbanTerror for a long time, and then TrueCombat, which is even better.

But then the sequel to RS came out. I was excited. I thought: Maybe it's more fun and maybe we can see our gun in front of us now. Maybe we can jump off cliffs, maybe it's more like UrbanTerror, but more fun. I mean they had like 2 years to prepare that game, it must be good!

And I buy it.

Wow.

I've never seen such a bad game. It's bad, I mean it.

First of all, you could say the graphics are better but, DAMN, when you look closer, it's a <doctor evil quotations>better</doctor evil quotations> version of the engine that powered RS and R6.

You cannot see your gun
You cannot jump off cliffs
The weapon zoom if horrible
The whole futuristic thing is terrible
The weapons feel like they're all the same
Most of the game is camping (talking about multiplayer)
The netcode is baddddddd
When you get fired at, it lags like there's no tomorrow
So much more to say, but it doesnt come to my mind.

In other words, it's terrible. TERRRRRIBLE.

Thank you, but I'm back playing truecombat for quake3. You want reality? Play true combat for quake 3, and if all the people of game ranger can hear me:

DOWNLOAD TRUECOMBAT AND URBAN TERROR AND GET OUT OF YOUR GhR WORLD, IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

http://www.truecombat.com
http://urbanterror.net

3 great games for the price of Quake3
(baseq3+urt+tc)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 12:58 PM

I tried the demo of Ghost Recon and trashed it right away. It lack the polishing and attention to details that was in UrbanTerror, TrueCombat, etc.

benb
Jul 25, 2003, 01:43 PM

I have to say that the new Rainbow 6, Raven Shield, is pretty good. The best one so far. The default misson plans work well, so you don't have to do that crap. And the engine is good, based on UT. Which means you get a nice level editor. But out of all the R6 games, Ghost Recon was "teh suck".

derekn
Senior User
Jul 25, 2003, 04:48 PM

I'm the opposite, I tried the demo of R6 and trashed it right away, not my style. Ghost Recon though, I am addicted to, I love it. No lag when they fire at me on my old dual 867 or SP 1.2 Ghz.

Ambush, the weapons do NOT feel the same. LOL If I use the MP5 on anyone, shooting them anywhere but the head, it takes a bit to take them down.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by derekn:
I'm the opposite, I tried the demo of R6 and trashed it right away, not my style. Ghost Recon though, I am addicted to, I love it. No lag when they fire at me on my old dual 867 or SP 1.2 Ghz.
same here, specially fun at lan parties, you build up huge plans and the carrying the out flawlessly is quite rewarding.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 06:13 PM

Can't stand Urban Terror. The player animation is a joke (they look like they run around with sticks shoved up their rear) and the last time I played it was a Super Mario fest with everyone jumping up and down. TrueCombat is much better. I've been a fan of the "iron sight" aiming since Infiltration (which I still like more than any of the Q3 mods). What's the big deal about falling off cliffs? It can't feel good so why would it be a good thing?

I like Ghost Recon mainly for Cooperative play. I like playing through the missions with friends. There aren't many games that allow coop play these days.
I also like the GhR player models better than UrT or TC. The animation is much better. However, the Mac port could probably use a bit more optimization.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 06:33 PM

How about Soldier of Fortune 2? Wondering if it is any good.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 07:58 PM

Vote for Ghost Recon here. What I like about it is that you have to use your mind to win. It's not just the person with the fastest twitch reflex.

Plus, I get no lag when fired at, and I'm on a 500 MHz G3.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by derekn:

Ambush, the weapons do NOT feel the same. LOL If I use the MP5 on anyone, shooting them anywhere but the head, it takes a bit to take them down.
Yeah, of course there's going to be a difference between sub-machine gun fire and machine gun fire, but take the M16 and the AK something, it feels the same.

Also, there are NO shotguns. No shotguns in the future? Hmm I doubt it somehow

SoF2 looks quite good, but I can't play it on my poor eMac700, even with 512 of ram.

The best game would be true combat. Guys, they're a very very small team and yet, they could make a game that's better than most of the shooters out there (yeah yeah I know, they have the Quake3 engine).

If you really want reality, get TrueCombat.

If you want fast arcade action take UrbanTerror.

If you want pseudo tactical, take GhR.

I hope you can see your gun in Raven Shield

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
If you really want reality, get TrueCombat.
If you want reality, join the Marines. Playing these games is NOTHING like reality. Trust me.

I hope you can see your gun in Raven Shield
Dude, hate to burst your bubble, but in the real world you don't really "see your gun". You see either your sights (which is why GR is relatively accurate) or you are firing by rote discipline and muscle memory. But you don't have some stupid Quake view of your weapon.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 05:47 AM

Ghost Recon vote here as well. The co-op play is great. nothing like going in as a REAL team on a mission together with the same objective but you must come up with your own battle plan based on what is going on. You are NOT gonna run in a camp playing as a one man army and not come out looking like swiss cheese.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is ok, but I think its the worse 3d engine ever as far as performance. For some of you that think UT2003 runs bad... avoid SoF2 then. Good game though, but the system requirements are a bitch.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
If you want reality, join the Marines. Playing these games is NOTHING like reality. Trust me.

Dude, hate to burst your bubble, but in the real world you don't really "see your gun". You see either your sights (which is why GR is relatively accurate) or you are firing by rote discipline and muscle memory. But you don't have some stupid Quake view of your weapon.
Um. Sorry, but in real life (yeah I've used a gun) you see the iron sight of your gun, not some kind of techy animated flashy crosshair. That's a fact.

Also, in real life, you see your gun, unless you holster it, you can see it in front of you!

Try TrueCombat and you'll see: it's a lot more realistic than anything out there (considering UT:Infiltration's a dead mod, of course). When you shoot, you have weapon knockback and you feel it, you have to move your mouse down to continue shooting at the same place (that's when you fire with machine guns like the AK47 or the M4)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2003, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by ambush:

In R6/RS you can't jump of Cliffs/mountains it's soo boring.

...Maybe we can jump off cliffs, maybe it's more like UrbanTerror, but more fun.

You cannot jump off cliffs
Trying to play simulated suicide or something?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Souljah
Jul 31, 2003, 01:46 PM

Ghost Recon gets my vote.
It comes down to what you perceive or prefer as "reality" in games.I prefer realistic movement geometry or whatever it's called along with realistic gameplay.

"You cannot see your gun"
Thats a preference game developers are still struggling with as far as knowing what the public wants,besides getting the angle just right for all weapons is tough because there isn't a universal way to properly and effectively hold and shoot say a rifle,sniper,submachine.Giving us both or the optimum angle as an optional setting to match the desired gun requires some serious programming developers don't seem worth the time and effort.

" You cannot jump off cliffs"

" The weapon zoom if horrible"
Not all guns have sniper scopes,realistically most don't.

"The whole futuristic thing is terrible"
There isn't anything futuristic about it,unless you mean the actual conflict story settings,that's an invalid point...has nothing to do with actual "game play".

"The weapons feel like they're all the same"
Do you actually feel anything other than notice the difference in how the scope recoils with more powerful or full auto weapons?I have to say that Raven Shield is the best yet for weapon recoil.

" Most of the game is camping (talking about multiplayer)"
Another weak invalid point.I guess you prefer the Rambo "run and shoot" arcade type of gameplay which is unrealistic btw.

"The netcode is baddddddd"
Well I'm not having any issues with a high quality cable conection.I use a G4 450/1g with a flashed 8500 and my comp chokes on the PC made maps for obvious reasons,but the main GHR is great,it's the IT and DS mods that chokes me somewhat...understandably I need an upgrade.

Sounds more like you're having a preference rant than anything else!
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
How about Soldier of Fortune 2? Wondering if it is any good.
I used to play it a lot, then I got Jedi Knight 2 and kinda left it. The sniper on SOF 2 is probably the most realistic sniper I have used before in a game.

Single player bites though, too slow.

Also, it doesn't launch on Panther. For some weird reason all of Omni's don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules