Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why does liquor taste so bad?

Why does liquor taste so bad? (Page 2)
wolfen
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 08:41 PM

So somebody on the other side can say "See, I told you to stay away from that stuff."
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
C.O.:

Well, I suppose I could have put it that way, too, if I'd wanted to be an asshole about it.

You don't find it a bit silly to expect that 120 proof scotch is going to be as easy to guzzle down as verryberry Kool Aid? If you want to get drunk that's fine but a guy needs to accept the fact that alcohol by its chemical make up is not palatable. If you want to drink lots of it and want it to taste like candy then the odds are you are drinking garbage.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
You don't find it a bit silly to expect that 120 proof scotch is going to be as easy to guzzle down as verryberry Kool Aid? If you want to get drunk that's fine but a guy needs to accept the fact that alcohol by its chemical make up is not palatable. If you want to drink lots of it and want it to taste like candy then the odds are you are drinking garbage.
I don't find it silly at all to hit a point where you start wondering whether all your friends are just total morons destroying their brains. I hit that point somewhere in high school loong before I started drinking at all myself, and it's a harsh realization to conclude that, why, yes, they are.

"Well, what do you expect!?" is one way of going about it.

I was trying to be a little more gentle.

Other than that, we are in agreement, as you may note.

-s*

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I don't find it silly at all to hit a point where you start wondering whether all your friends are just total morons destroying their brains. I hit that point somewhere in high school loong before I started drinking at all myself, and it's a harsh realization to conclude that, why, yes, they are.
But umm, he wants to keep destroying brain cells, just with beer not hard alcohol.
I find no fault in drinking, even occasionally in excess. I just don't do it as often because I had my fill of it enough as an undergrad but I mostly limit it because of its counterproductive effects on my workout program.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jcadam
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 04:14 PM

Get a 0.5l glass.
Put in 3 ice cubes.
Fill it 1/3 full with Bacardi 151
Fill it the rest of the way with Coca-Cola (actually, I've been using Diet Rite, cuz it's cheap, 0 calories, and it uses Splenda for sweetener instead of Nutra-Sweet, which is poison).
Drink.

Have another. Go sleep.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:
Get a 0.5l glass.
Put in 3 ice cubes.
Fill it 1/3 full with Bacardi 151
Fill it the rest of the way with Coca-Cola (actually, I've been using Diet Rite, cuz it's cheap, 0 calories, and it uses Splenda for sweetener instead of Nutra-Sweet, which is poison).
Drink.

Have another. Go sleep.
All artificial sweeteners are chemicals. They are all bad for you.

... yet I still drink em
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 17, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
... anyone know of a good well aged scotch?
I'm a fan of Laphroaig. The 10 year old is good and not too expensive, not sure how easy it would be to find over in the US.
The 40 year old is �420.

SergioPalacios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 10:19 PM

You guys.....

If you're drinking cheap beer, cheap whiskey, and cheap booze in general, you're just drinking to get drunk. And that's stupid, well, most of the time.

There are many liquors that have great complexity in their flavours and aromas. For instance, single malt scotch, cognac or GOOD Tequila (not that cuervo gold crap you find in every bar).

The trick is to sip the liquor, palate it and do not breathe through your mouth after you have swallowed, but rather breathe through your nose. That will actually enhance the taste. However, it is an acquired taste indeed.

And an added bonus: if it is good stuff, it won't give you a hangover, even if you get drunk. I still don't get why people drink miller lite and bud light and that crap at all.

And how come nobody has mentioned Bombay Sapphire Gin?? it makes the best martinis and gin tonics.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by SergioPalacios:
You guys.....

If you're drinking cheap beer, cheap whiskey, and cheap booze in general, you're just drinking to get drunk. And that's stupid, well, most of the time.
This is why I drink liquor... beer is another story.

However, it is an acquired taste indeed.
I need to work on this.

And an added bonus: if it is good stuff, it won't give you a hangover, even if you get drunk. I still don't get why people drink miller lite and bud light and that crap at all.
You're from Wisconsin, how dare you bash Miller! I think it tastes good.... although, most beer tastes good to me.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Forum Links
Forum Rules