Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 and external monitor

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 and external monitor
qhtrinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:30 PM

I want to buy a 24" Samsung LCD monitor so that I can do basic school work (word, excel, powerpoint, photoshop) on a bigger screen than my iBook. I was wondering if I would run into any problems concerning the resolution?

I checked the website, and it said that it can support up to 1900++ resolutions, but that the "hertz refresh rate" would go down to 60... meaning?

Or should I just save up for the 24" iMac? That's a lot of money...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 11:00 PM

It should work just fine. Just run the monitor at its native resolution.

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 11:09 PM

Just to be sure, native resolution means the monitors max resolution?

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by qhtrinh View Post
I checked the website, and it said that it can support up to 1900++ resolutions, but that the "hertz refresh rate" would go down to 60... meaning?
You will be fine - the VGA output on your iBook supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536. A typical 24" display has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. The refresh rate will be limited to 60 hertz, but that's the standard refresh rate on most LCD panels anyway.

Just to be sure, native resolution means the monitors max resolution?
Actually, not always - on many CRT displays, the monitor is capable of displaying resolutions much higher than the "native". On almost all LCDs, though, the native resolution is the highest, and, even if it isn't, anything higher will look like total crap because of how LCDs scale in resolution.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up guys, I appreciate it.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 12:43 AM

Well, unless you install some third-party software, the iBook can only mirror and can't run closed-lid...
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 01:10 AM

Keep in mind you'll be stuck with only 16MB of video RAM to power that 24" display which may or may not be fast enough for your tastes.

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 08:21 AM

But surely, I can download some "hacks" that will allow me to close the lid while using the computer right? And yes, that's the part I was afraid of... Word, Excel and Powerpoint shouldn't be a problem, but what about photoshop? Something tells me it's gonna lag quite a bit.

If I download the closed-lid hack, will it allow me to have the full 24MB on the monitor?

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 09:17 AM

Hmm I'll probably bring my iBook to the bestbuy and try it out there.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 01:47 PM

But surely, I can download some "hacks" that will allow me to close the lid while using the computer right? And yes, that's the part I was afraid of... Word, Excel and Powerpoint shouldn't be a problem, but what about photoshop? Something tells me it's gonna lag quite a bit.

If I download the closed-lid hack, will it allow me to have the full 24MB on the monitor?
IIRC turning off the internal monitor won't free up additional video memory. More importantly, though, you need to enable full video out. Aside from 3D apps (games) and very specialized video apps, speed should be fine. Photoshop in particular makes only minimal demands on the video card.

qhtrinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2007, 01:36 AM

Ok thanks mfbernstein, I bookmarked the site. And thanks everyone, I'm off to buy the Samsung SyncMaster 24"... when I get my next pay

Forum Links
Forum Rules