Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Intellimouse Putzing Out

Intellimouse Putzing Out
moggy
Oct 1, 2002, 11:44 PM

So I've had the MS Intellimouse for a little over a year now and for the past week it's been skipping on me. Serious skipping though. Sometimes it will take 5 seconds for the mouse to come back to action.
But today it won't move at all. I reinstalled the software, keep trying different USB ports, and to no avail.
Has it simply had its run? Do the optical mice really falter this quickly?
Let me know, thanks!

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

moggy  (op)
Oct 3, 2002, 05:49 AM

So nobody out there has had any problems with optical mice over a long period of time? Surely someone out there must have some insight.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by moggy:
So nobody out there has had any problems with optical mice over a long period of time? Surely someone out there must have some insight.
Obvious question, but I'm sure you've done it, but have you cleaned the lens? I have an intellimouse trackball and have to clean it all the time. Granted that's because it's a trackball, but I could see the same issue happening with a standard optical mouse also.

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 12:30 PM

does the mouse still have power when it's skipping? you can tell by the little red light on the part of the mouse facing you.. i've sometimes had problems where my intellimouse would lose power (and bring down the port's power, as well) that would simply be fixed by unplugging the mouse, waiting a second, and plugging it in again, but this sounds different.. maybe it's time to give microsoft a call

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 12:54 PM

i've had the same problem with my intellimouse explorer. i traced it to a bad connection/short where the mouse cord enters the mouse. i went through the online microsoft support channels, stating the problems, and the fact that the box says it has a lifetime warranty, and they sent me a new one, no questions asked, no need to return the defective mouse. i suggest you go through ms support.

see, microsoft isn't THAT bad!

tr

moggy  (op)
Oct 4, 2002, 02:52 AM

Ya, power stays on while the skipping occurs. Tried cleaning it. A few months ago, unplugging it and plugging it back in would work, but now it's really bad.

TR, I think I'll try the MS warranty! Guh, I don't know if I have any warrenty card anymore, nor the box.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by tr:
i've had the same problem with my intellimouse explorer. i traced it to a bad connection/short where the mouse cord enters the mouse. i went through the online microsoft support channels, stating the problems, and the fact that the box says it has a lifetime warranty, and they sent me a new one, no questions asked, no need to return the defective mouse. i suggest you go through ms support.

see, microsoft isn't THAT bad!

tr
ive done that twice already. good deal

There's someone in my head but its not me...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 11:11 AM

hell if I got a MS intellamouse i would call for a new one every month and take the compay down!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

moggy  (op)
Oct 10, 2002, 02:47 PM

Yup, MS tech support works in getting you a new mouse! Thanks TR for mentioning that!

Actually, I called them up last Friday and after they gave me a case number they put me on hold, but I had to run out at the moment, so I hung up. The following Monday they called at noon and asked if I still wanted to follow up on the problem. Damn. That's good customer service for ya.

I wish they would send me the new Intellimouse Explorer, but I'm guessing I'll get the old one.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 07:34 PM

On a humorous note, make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

For Macintosh-based computer

To use Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical and IntelliPoint mouse software with the scroll wheel and all customizable buttons, you need:
One of the following operating sytems:
Mac OS 8.6 to 9.x
Mac OS 10.1 to 10.3 (excluding Mac OS X)
15 MB of available hard-disk space
An available USB port

Requirements link

First of all, what is this 10.3 they are referring to? Second, isn't 10.1 and 10.3 called "Mac OS X". When they say Mac OS X, do they really mean 10.0.x?

Silly Microsoft. . .

Brad]

Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
On a humorous note, make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

For Macintosh-based computer

To use Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical and IntelliPoint mouse software with the scroll wheel and all customizable buttons, you need:
One of the following operating sytems:
Mac OS 8.6 to 9.x
Mac OS 10.1 to 10.3 (excluding Mac OS X)
15 MB of available hard-disk space
An available USB port

Requirements link

First of all, what is this 10.3 they are referring to? Second, isn't 10.1 and 10.3 called "Mac OS X". When they say Mac OS X, do they really mean 10.0.x?

Silly Microsoft. . .

Brad]
Recheck that link, pal. It reads:

"Mac OS X version 10.1 to 10.1.3 (excluding 10.0)"

Slippery Microsoft.

Forum Links
Forum Rules