Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari Subscriptions

Safari Subscriptions
moggy
May 8, 2003, 04:37 PM

So I was wondering ... do you think Safari should add a subscription feature to the final build? I've always enjoyed the option of running subscriptions through IE to keep track of sites that I don't normally browse on a daily basis.

Does anybody else enjoy this feature? And should it be added to Safari? I'd like to hear your comments.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

erise
Forum Regular
May 9, 2003, 12:31 AM

Yes, definately! Subscriptions are the only thing that keeps IE in my dock. I use them to see which emulation sites have been updated.
MacEmu - The best Mac Emulation Website

mattmarshall
Senior User
May 9, 2003, 01:22 AM

yes, i hate not having it. IE may not have been great, but subscriptions definitely saved me a lot of time.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 03:37 PM

Subscriptions never worked well for me. IE would flag every page as changed whether it really was or not.

moggy  (op)
May 9, 2003, 05:16 PM

I dunno, it has always worked quite well for me. I would keep a subscription list for maybe 100 sites and it always seemed to be behaving correctly.

Obviously you don't add a subscription to a site like cnn.com since it's updates hundreds or times a day. Maybe that's why you see it as flaky.

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Subscriptions never worked well for me. IE would flag every page as changed whether it really was or not.
( Last edited by moggy; May 9, 2003 at 05:39 PM. )

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

krove
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 01:14 AM

Sorry, haven't used IE in what seems like forever (and I'm all the better for it)...

So are subscriptions like OmniWeb's tracking of bookmarks, checking to see if they have been updated since last viewed? OmniWeb had a very clean method of this and I must say I miss it greatly.

I'm sure, however, that Apple has a few more aces up their sleeve for the 1.0 GM release of Safari.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 10, 2003, 06:10 AM

Subscribing to a page was always a nasty hack - that stopped working as soon as most sites became db-driven.

I suggest using NetNetWire lite - an RSS news aggregator.

If the site doesn't provide an RSS feed then lobby for one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules