Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar is Dying on Me

Jaguar is Dying on Me
moggy
Oct 29, 2003, 04:16 AM

Aye,
Alright, a few days ago I noticed that my G4 was acting slow, and finally today, it pretty much frozes, so I force quit it, and now it gives me a blue screen.
I ran the Jaguar CD and ran Disk Utility, ran disk repairs and it told me that I had problems that cannot be fixed. However, the Fix Disk Permissions button was grayed out. So I couldn't do anything. Restarted and tried to boot off Norton, but it would freeze at the startup.

Then I tried to reinstall the OS, but it wouldn't even give me a destination disk. Also, I ran PRAM, but all to no avail.

If anyone knows any possible fixes, please let me know asap! Thanks!

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 04:31 AM

It's a sign... time to go to the land of the Panthers...

But really though, hope you can somehow figure out this problem... someone please help this person.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Orion27
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 08:30 AM

Run DiskWarrior from a second bootable drive or DW CD.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 08:52 AM

Yeah my Jag install on my iMac seems to be developing some issues too. It can sense that it is about to be replaced... that is if my copy of Panther ever decides to be delivered (ordered from AU Apple Store on Oct 9).

moggy  (op)
Oct 29, 2003, 01:32 PM

Unfortunately I do not have a second bootable drive. I tried running Norton Systemworks 2.0 and DiskWarrior 2, but none of them can boot. I'm not sure whether or not I need the latest versions (3) for Jag.

ALSO, and a big ALSO. I forgot to mention that my hard drive is making really strange scratching noises. This definitely seems like a bad thing.

Any help?

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

ZackS
Banned
Oct 29, 2003, 01:47 PM

Yeah, that's not the Jaguar, that's a really bad hard drive error. If you can't repair it you might just have to buy a new one.

moggy  (op)
Oct 29, 2003, 03:48 PM

What do you guys think if I buy DiskWarrior 3.0 and try to ressurect it?

The problem is that I have my whole entire graphic design portfolio on my hard drive and it's not backed up (I know, I know), so I'm dying to find ANY sort of solution to avoid initialization or just tossing it away. I know that I need to get a new hard drive, but you guys have any solutions to get the data back from the old one?

Dying here .... Thanks guys.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by moggy:
ALSO, and a big ALSO. I forgot to mention that my hard drive is making really strange scratching noises. This definitely seems like a bad thing.
Sounds like a bad thing. I suggest getting a new drive and an external case case. The reason for this is that if you get one good boot off of your old drive, you need something to dump all of your data onto.

Swap out the drive and install the OS. Place the old drive in an external case and run all of the utilities you have. And do a search. There are some really weird solutions out there. I remembered reading some users actually put the drives in the freezer, chilled them down, then got one last use out of them to get their data off. No personal experience with that, but some people have had success with that.

Worst case scenario. www.drivesavers.com
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 04:09 PM

Just a followup. Maybe running repair utilities would not be a good idea. If there is something physically wrong with the disk, you may not want to try to have the read/write heads dragging across the surface of the disk. If there is complete breakdown of the drive, contact a data recovery company.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules