Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will this work in my PB?

Will this work in my PB?
WhitE_RabbiT-PB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 09:42 PM

I was wondering if this would work fine in my Rev C (1.5ghz) PB?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145068

Seems like a pretty darn good deal to me.
WhitE_RabbiT

ibook_steve
Aug 18, 2005, 09:50 PM

Yes.

Steve

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2005, 11:39 PM

CT12864X335 is not guaranteed Powerbook compatible by either Crucial or NewEgg.

CT368654 is Crucial's brand-specific module. at $193

The generic cross to this is CT12864X335AP, not CT12864X335 -- Crucial has a special build for Powerbook G4 compatibility. You may in fact find that they ship a Samsung module instead of a Micron.

Alternatively, look at Data Memory Systems if you are in the USA.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

WhitE_RabbiT-PB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 11:43 PM

So are you saying it won't work? Should I avoid this?

I already placed the order a little bit ago. It's probably not too late to cancel.
WhitE_RabbiT

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 12:06 AM

I am saying that Crucial, in their wisdom, offers a DIFFERENT module to Powerbook owners than this one. This is because they had trouble with compatibility on their generic module and had to come out with a different build.

Whether this individual module will work in your individual machine isn't knowable, just that you are running a higher risk of problems than you would be with the recommended module. And NewEgg bless their yolky souls, does not offer any sort of compatibility guarantee, so you are on your own. If you want to take the risk, and don't mind the time, trouble and shipping charges to send it back if it doesn't work, then you can try it.

If you had the PB 15" 1.0 or 1.25 or 17" 1.0 or 1.33, than I would say definitely not, based on past experience. These models are the least tolerant of out of spec RAM of any of the PB G4's

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 19, 2005, 12:09 AM

What's the difference?

I've always just bought RAM with in-spec timings (and then some) and have done fine. What's wrong with that specific Crucial RAM?

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 12:11 AM

Apart from the Crucial guarantee, the difference will be in the logical organization of the memory rows and columns in the chips, and the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) settings. These are not things you can tell from the written specification or by looking at the RAM... which is (again) why you have to rely on the vendor to gurarantee compatibility with your specific model Mac.

It is certainly possible to luck into generic RAM that works, and you'll find that RAM that works, say in the eMac fails in the Mini, or works in the PM G5 fails in the iMac G5; because although these machines are nominally the same spec, different models of Mac have different tolerences to slightly out of spec RAM. And that tolerance for error can CHANGE with an upgrade to Firmware or OS version, so the RAM that sneaks under the wire on Panther can be rejected by Tiger.

WhitE_RabbiT-PB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 12:14 AM

Well, just to be safe I cancelled my order. I suppose I jumped the gun on this one.

You def sound quite informed, so I might as well take your advice and stick with something gauranteed.
The question is, from who? Is it worth it for me to spend the extra $80 on Crucial memory? I'm of course looking for something cheap, but flawless.
WhitE_RabbiT

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 12:17 AM

See post 3 for a link to my recommendation of RAM for the Powerbook -- $144 each or $169 for Samsung brand chips from Data Memory Systems

These guys are 100% reliable and Mac people. Call them on the phone and time how long it takes for them to answer - and you wont get a reception person or an answerbot, you'll get a real Mac RAM expert. (Hint: You'll need a stopwatch with a 1/10th of a second hand for this).

Try that at NewBestTigerEggFryBuy.com

Course if you were in Canada I would have another suggestion

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
( Last edited by CanadaRAM; Aug 19, 2005 at 12:26 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Apart from the Crucial guarantee, the difference will be in the logical organization of the memory rows and columns in the chips, and the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) settings. These are not things you can tell from the written specification or by looking at the RAM... which is (again) why you have to rely on the vendor to gurarantee compatibility with your specific model Mac.

It is certainly possible to luck into generic RAM that works, and you'll find that RAM that works, say in the eMac fails in the Mini, or works in the PM G5 fails in the iMac G5; because although these machines are nominally the same spec, different models of Mac have different tolerences to slightly out of spec RAM. And that tolerance for error can CHANGE with an upgrade to Firmware or OS version, so the RAM that sneaks under the wire on Panther can be rejected by Tiger.
With DDR? It has seemed that with DDR PowerBooks, as long as you get overspec'd reasonable quality RAM you are OK, although I realize it's not 100%. I know things are different with the previous TiBooks and some iMacs and such too, but that's a different situation. IIRC though, with some of the older Macs the firmware update thing had to do with Apple tightening up the RAM timings. If you had gotten generic RAM with tighter timings in the first place it wouldn't have been a problem.

The other reason I ask what the difference is, is because I've noticed before at Crucial site that sometimes they spec a different RAM model number, and then ship the exact same thing as their generic one.

Just wondering.

treebark7182
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 09:13 AM

I have put generic ram spaning from kingmax, kingston, and crucial in all of my macs and have never had a problem of any kind. As long as specs are right it should work. If not send it back. Its not worth spending 2x as much when the worst that could happen is that you have to send it back. I just bought 1gb kingston for my 12'' powerbook and the thing flippn flys now. all for $100.

WhitE_RabbiT-PB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 09:46 AM

Oh the decisions.
WhitE_RabbiT

WhitE_RabbiT-PB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 10:42 AM

Well after reading a good bit of users reviews, as well as studying the the "Awsome 1gb Ram Deal" thread, I think I have it narrowed down to two, Kingston and Kingmax. It seems that Kingmax has gotten more popularity on the aforementioned thread, yet has more negative user reviews from Apple users on NewEgg's site. So, as of now, I'm leaning toward the Kingston.

I would go with something from DMS, but I really can't afford that. Pathetic, yes, but I'm very pressed for cash as I need to furnish my apartment for school in a week. Regardless, I think I might be placing my order for the Kingston within the next few hours, unless of course I'm strongly advised otherwise.

Thanks for the help so far, it's appreciated.
WhitE_RabbiT

treebark7182
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 11:30 AM

i had a kingston 512 in my 12'' and just upgraded to a kingston 1gb. Awesome ram imho

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2005, 02:37 PM

Namewise, I consider Kingmax perhaps just a notch more recognize than noname generic. That said, I've run Kingmax RAM in several of my machines and it works fine. However, like I said in my previous post, I often overspec my RAM. I'm running PC3200 Kingmax in my iBook for example. Works great, and still a lot cheaper than Kingston locally.

To put it another way, I respect Kingmax RAM much more than I respect Ritek DVD-R, despite the fact that Ritek is a much more recognizable name around here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules