Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Truncated messages w/attachments in Mail.app

Truncated messages w/attachments in Mail.app
hawiken
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2007, 11:17 PM

I'm using mail.app 2.1, and discovered an interesting phenomenon today. If I drag and insert an attachment (pdf, jpg, whatever) into the middle of an email and send the email to someone using Outlook on a Windows machine, the part of the message below the attachment doesn't appear in Outlook.
In other words, I need to insert the attachment at the end of the email instead of somewhere in the middle; any part of the message BELOW the attachment disappears.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known issue? It came as quite a shock to discover that this was happening.
Thanks,
Ken

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 12:15 AM

Is it an old version of Outlook? It should be able to handle inline attachments these days.

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2007, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Is it an old version of Outlook? It should be able to handle inline attachments these days.
Well, it's whatever version comes with XP. I'm taking a lot of flack from my co-workers (Windows users to a man) because of this; they're convinced that it's a flaw in OS X; I'm equally convinced that it's a flaw in Windows.

Thanks,
Ken

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 01:50 PM

The only solution I can find (without doing anything to mail.app) is to attach the attachment at the very end of the message. Otherwise, mail.app generates two attachments - your attachment, and an html file containing the text after the attachment. At least that is how it shows up in my co-workers email program.

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ururk View Post
The only solution I can find (without doing anything to mail.app) is to attach the attachment at the very end of the message. Otherwise, mail.app generates two attachments - your attachment, and an html file containing the text after the attachment. At least that is how it shows up in my co-workers email program.
Thanks for the reply... that's the only solution that I've found, as well. Do you know if this is a known issue? It took me by surprise, and could have adversely affected a few business decisions.

Thanks,
Ken

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by hawiken View Post
Thanks for the reply... that's the only solution that I've found, as well. Do you know if this is a known issue? It took me by surprise, and could have adversely affected a few business decisions.

Thanks,
Ken
I have certainly had this feedback when e-mailing from my institution into big corporate e-mail systems. I routinely put attachments right at the end as a consequence.

hawiken  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
I have certainly had this feedback when e-mailing from my institution into big corporate e-mail systems. I routinely put attachments right at the end as a consequence.
Hmmm.. thanks for the reply. I'll make it a point to add any attachments at the end of the email in the future.

Take care,
Ken

Forum Links
Forum Rules