Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery dead?!

Battery dead?!
lorenzo
Sep 5, 2008, 05:11 PM

My mbp dies out of the blue while running on battery and listing still almost 2h of running time...
It happened 3 days ago, and once again today.
It feels so bad, considering that I hardly used it on battery not to spoil it unnecessarily...
I have done some research on the net, and found my battery is the infamous A1175 type, from 2006... Any chance Apple will change it?
I'm out of warranty since June 2008, they probably sent me a 2.2Mbpro with a old type battery and now I'm facing 140euros?

How can I try to get it swapped for free, considering it seems to be one of the faulty units?

Of course, this happened the only real time I need portability from my mac, wasting 4h day commuting... maybe Murphy himself sold me my mac on the applestore!

Thanks a lot for any input/suggestion...

Lorenzo

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 02:51 AM

Do you have AppleCare? If so, it may be covered under their policy provided it can be shown that the diminished runtime of the battery is a result of a manufacturing defect.

Otherwise, not sure what other options you have left...

Rumor
Sep 6, 2008, 02:54 AM

If there was a recall,then it should not be a problem having it swapped regardless of warrenty.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

lorenzo  (op)
Sep 7, 2008, 11:43 AM

While checking online, I've seen that the recall was ended on July the 25th!
But I would have never ever had checked this hadn't the battery failed, because on the recall, they wrote "some MBP units of 2006" are affected.
My MBP was put on sale on june 2007 (it's one of the very very first 2.2 SantaRosa), so I never thought of checking it...
Probably they slipped one of the old batteries simply because it was such a new machine, dunno.

I hope they will fix it.
And no... I didn't purchase AppleCare... at 400euros, it's very, very, very expensive...

Wonder if they'll stick to the "expired on the 25th" policy, even though my machine has obviously entered the marked as a model by apple in the middle of 2007...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 11:49 AM

How many battery cycles does it have? If it's under a certain amount, you'll get a new battery.

You mentioned you hardly used the battery which I assume means you used it on the power adapter most of the time. It's best to use the battery as this keeps the charging circuit able to monitor the battery properly and keeps the electrons in the battery moving.

lorenzo  (op)
Sep 7, 2008, 11:55 AM

should be around 80. As far as I remember, it should have between 50 or 60 cycles, in 16 months or so of life.
Even now, it light up 3 leds out of five, but if I stick it into the mac, it will power up for 2/3seconds, and poweroff...
I don't think the cycles are too high... even apple says that every bad behaviour from the battery *under* 300 cycles is not normal...
Let's see... still, if I have to pay, I'll be mightily upset, because they did not write "check your mac", but just "2006 models affected", so I basically slept soundly...
*muttering unpronounciable words...*

Lory

Forum Links
Forum Rules