Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerCenter Pro problems

PowerCenter Pro problems
livingfortoday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2008, 08:17 PM

Ok kids, a bit of a pickle here. And I realize this isn't technically a Power Mac, but bear with me!

I moved recently, and brought along my trusty PowerCenter Pro 210 w/XLR8 G3. It'd been sitting and collecting dust for a while when I decided to boot 'er back up and see if I couldn't get Jaguar running on there and use it as a little server for my webpage. Problem is - it won't boot up. Most of the time when I push the power button - nothing. Sometimes the light will turn on, though, fans will spin up, and then it shuts off. I have gotten it to even start and stay on for a while - but with no video out.

I finally took the whole thing out of its case, and was able to get it to "turn on" with a new PSU and mobo battery. Thing is, it's still not showing video. The hard drive spins up, I hear it working for a few seconds at first, and then it just sits there, sounding like it's on, but not outputting anything. No speaker beeps or anything, either. The XLR8 card is blinking it's little LED the whole time, I don't know if that's a bad sign or what. I've even swapped out the 450Mhz G3 that's in it for a different G3 ZIF I had - same result.

There's not really any good documentation I can find online for a computer of this age - so any advice or tips anyone can give would be really appreciated.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 08:39 PM

I know how you can repair it for $599.

livingfortoday  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2008, 09:27 PM

Hmm... ideally I'd like to fix this for $5.99 or less.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 08:49 AM

Did you reset PRAM after changing the mobo battery? On that era machine (like most Macs), a dead mobo battery will prevent booting and can corrupt the CUDA chip. If a PRAM reset doesn't work, try a CUDA reset (there's a reset button on the motherboard somewhere).

And as for troubleshooting: look up info for the Power Mac 7200 and 7500. The PowerCenter Pro motherboard is based on the 7200, but with the CPU card socket of the 7500. Any troubleshooting steps for those would also apply to the PCP. Also, what OS are you trying to boot right now?

livingfortoday  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2008, 08:53 AM

After a bunch of troubleshooting, I've come to the sad conclusion that the motherboard is what's dying here. It won't properly start up at all anymore now, either. So I'm afraid that after 11 years, the motherboard finally gave out. Sad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by livingfortoday View Post
After a bunch of troubleshooting, I've come to the sad conclusion that the motherboard is what's dying here. It won't properly start up at all anymore now, either. So I'm afraid that after 11 years, the motherboard finally gave out. Sad.
Could also be the power supply. Is there any way you can test the power supply?

Side note: I'm a fan of the old clones. I liked the Motorola and Daystar. The Motorola was a hoot because it had parallel and PS2 ports, kinda odd for a Mac. I never learned if they actually worked or not. Daystar had the Quad CPU monsters.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules