Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > better seller? last generation or new?

better seller? last generation or new?
MusicVideosRock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2008, 04:29 AM

Does anyone know how the new line of laptops are selling compared to the last generation. I freelance at television commercial production companies, a Mac only environment. All of us work on laptops. I have yet to see anyone with the unibody macbook pro or macbook. I'm on the fence about upgrading from my trusty G4 Powerbook.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2008, 05:00 AM

It's not public information at the moment, but they were just introduced less than a month ago. I doubt most people's upgrade cycles are that short.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2008, 08:13 AM

I agree with Chuckit. The latest revision is very new.

However if my purely unscientific observation is any indicator then, I've seen a lot of people walking out of the store with the MB/MBP laptops. I was haunting my local apple trying to decide to take the plunge myself. I have no idea how it rates in comparison to the prior model, but they are selling very well, at least when ever I visited the store
~Mike

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2008, 12:00 PM

I would dare to think that the last generation would be selling better, just because of the state of the economy. If I´m not mistaken Apple cut back some production (whoever manufactures them) of their laptops. I forgot where I read this.
That´s just my opinion and hopefully this economic mess doesn´t affect their sales.

regards,

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2008, 12:23 PM

Apple reconditioned previous revision MBPs are a really great deal. Mine came looking brand new.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2008, 12:35 PM

I did the same as Big Mac and never regretted my decision.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Urkel
Nov 11, 2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
I would dare to think that the last generation would be selling better, just because of the state of the economy.
I was thinking the opposite. Due to the state of the economy then the Aluminum ones would sell better because most people don't "need" a notebook. They want it. So in a tough economy then the people buying would be the people who could afford the latest and greatest, while people on a budget would probably stick with whatever they currently run.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2008, 02:39 PM

Interesting point of view..I certainly saw only the economics part and forgot about the marketing one (even though Im a marketeer by profession). I must admit that I agree with you on your asesment of things except this part :

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
most people don't "need" a notebook. They want it.
A couple of years ago I would say that Mac laptops were definetly for a niche of the market. Nowadays, Mac laptops are becoming more "accepted" and purchased by PC-abandoned users. Having said that , that niche must have changed from being a highly specialized one to a broader one including not only their loyal and classic apple buyers but also a more common buyer. I do not have any data, but by reading news about how the market share of apple laptops have increased I can infer about what I´m saying.
So, how to quantify the segments of "I can buy it and I will do so" and the "common buyer"? My theory depends that the "common buyer" offsets the "I can buy it and will do so" and probably will be affected by the state of the economy. I hope that I´m dead wrong on this one, but looks like this discussion can make it to a marketing case.

regards

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
I was thinking the opposite. Due to the state of the economy then the Aluminum ones would sell better because most people don't "need" a notebook. They want it. So in a tough economy then the people buying would be the people who could afford the latest and greatest, while people on a budget would probably stick with whatever they currently run.
Just because you aren't living hand-to-mouth doesn't mean you're necessarily a spendthrift. My new previous-generation MBP should be arriving any minute now.

I'd expect the new ones to outsell the old ones just because they're easier to find (to get a last-gen model, you have to go to the online Apple Store and click a very small link at the bottom of the page). But among people who are shopping carefully, I expect the old ones to make a good showing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules