Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lion upgrade... incompatibilities?

Lion upgrade... incompatibilities?
andi*pandi
Jun 9, 2012, 08:28 AM

Hi there,

I'm about to make the leap and install Lion. Tired of the nagging mobileme reminders.

Which apps stop working with Lion? Palm Desktop? iLife versions? Anything to be aware of?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2012, 09:28 AM

Anything not a universal binary will break, as the Rosetta PPC emulation has been removed.

Check the system Profiler for installed applications to see what's going to die (sort by binary type to get a better overview).

This includes Office 2004.

Also, check the listing here:
http://roaringapps.com/
CAUTION: some of their reports are a little iffy—for instance, applications have been in the past labeled as "compatible", but they wouldn't actually install in the newer system (they would, however, continue to work fine if already installed).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2012, 09:35 AM

I believe I have what is rather disappointing news.

edit: S.H. beat it to me.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 9, 2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. The roaringapps website says no Palm Desktop from 10.6 on... I could swear I have sync'd my handspring with this machine running 10.6 but could be imagining it. I'm very willing to believe it won't work in 10.7. I knew this day would come!

So, I just spent a few hours exporting and cleaning up my address book. I had a lot of custom fields that imported messily.

Address Book is simpler and handles multiple emails better, but I miss having categories of addresses to sort by (business, work, friend, family).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2012, 12:43 PM

You can use groups for that, to some extent.

Also, prepare to HATE Lion's Address Book. It really is shit. I couldn't care less about the much-maligned skeuomorphism. But the fact that you can only look at two out of three panes at a time (groups - group members - individual contact info) makes actually working with it almost completely impossible. They're fixing it in 10.8 by breaking the "book" metaphor.

Chito
Senior User
Jun 9, 2012, 10:25 PM

Palm Desktop works fine with 10.6.8 FWIW
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 11, 2012, 10:43 AM

There, I upgraded. Palm Desktop was greyed out. Goodbye palm... also goodbye cumulus, snapz pro... nothing that big. Haven't

Spheric, I didn't mind the "book" feel of the new Address Book, but I did look for letter tabs to click on to jump to that letter. If you're going with the metaphor, and letter tabs are in the app icon, why not have working letter tabs. Typing a letter in the search box is not useful. I rarely used the old address book so I miss much about it. I do hope there is a nice way to export a group for address labels... I guess I have to make a special group for Christmas cards! Lol.

Next is updating iPhoto to get a proper facebook sharing utility, since they abandoned the facebook export plugin for 08. Rumors say 08 still works with Lion though so I may tough it out.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2012, 03:55 PM

Snapz Pro 2.3.x still works on Lion. I like Screenium more, though. It is cheaper too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules