Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 Powerbook DVD ?uestion

G3 Powerbook DVD ?uestion
bezoar
Jun 14, 2001, 07:33 PM

I have a black 400mhz g3 powerbook w/ 128mb ram and DVD-rom. when i use the DVD player i noticed that about every four or five minutes the DVD will freeze/pause then start playing again. i can't figure out if this is the DVD player or some kind of extension conflict. i'm pretty sure it wasn't the DVD's themselves doing it. I tried allocating more memory to the player, and made sure that virtual memory is off but it still does it. any suggestions?�?

bezoar  (op)
Jun 15, 2001, 01:52 AM

hmm, i tried to do a search of the MacNN powerbook forums on my topic and it just timed out every time. is the search engine on this site in working order? i seem to recall the same thing happening here a few days ago.

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2001, 07:59 AM

Check your Energy Saver settings. They may be set to have your HD spin down after 5 minutes. I've noticed that while watching a movie, it likes to have the HD spinning, so if it falls spins down, the player will pause while it spinns back up...
iMac therefor iAm

lucx
Jun 15, 2001, 09:45 AM

bezoar: One thing you could try is to make sure the "Enable processor cycling" button is highlighted in the Energy Saver control panel.

This seems to have helped for me. At first I just set the Sleep setting to never...to make sure that my Pismo wasn't trying to sleep while i was watching a dvd. That did seem to work also...but i discovered the "enable processor cycling" buttong, and that seems to work as well, and i don't have to keep turning the sleep setting on and off.

BTW, I use v. 2.3 of the DVD player. Maybe you could try the new v. 2.7...

Cheers,
Luc
Pismo 400MHz/512MB ram/10GB HD/10GB VST Expansion Bay Drive/DVD/Airport/OS X 10.1.5

bezoar  (op)
Jun 17, 2001, 09:05 PM

thank you both for your suggestions. haven't had a chance to try them yet but i'll post again if the problem persists.

Forum Links
Forum Rules