Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Calling you talented theme designers - a challenge

Calling you talented theme designers - a challenge
booboo
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 12:46 PM

There's this brilliant and inexpensive application called SonicBirth that allows anyone to create their own audio plug-ins - Audio Unit and VST - as well as create the GUI for those plug-ins. The application even got a special mention in the Apple Design Awards 2005.

The application ships with a dozen or so plug-ins that are really comprehensive but share one unfortunate trait - they look pretty sad, and I think this is what must be putting people off (easily swayed bunch, musicians . . . ) My worry is that the application is not selling well and the developer may abandon it.

Here's the SonicBirth homepage and here's a direct download link amazingly, it's already a UB!

There are some really talented people on this forum, and I wonder if anyone is up for making some improved looking versions? This might help a unique Mac product gain some more followers.

You can see the GUI's of the included plugs here

There is a freely downloadable demo which allows full editing and access to all the graphics of the existing plugs - you simply 'Open plugin . . . ' from within the SonicBirth application and then select 'GUI design' in the 'Settings' window. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way of editing the graphics for the controls, though they can be sized, coloured, and have transparency . . .

Here is a plug-in I made, with its rather pathetic graphics:

As you can see, this is clearly not my forte.

A comprehensive selection of commercial, freeware and shareware AU plug-ins here, to get an idea of how good some graphics are:

So what do you think? Anyone up for spending a couple of hours making these plug-ins look somewhat more equal to their audio capabilities?

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 12:59 PM

I have been corrected - it is possible to use custom graphics for switches - for example one image for ON another for OFF . . . it's a new feature that is as yet undocumented, apparently.

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 07:20 AM

Obviously there's such a thing as too big a challenge!

What has become clear to me is I need to develop some Photoshop skills - particularly in relation to GUI design - rounded edges, recesses, textures . . .

Van anyone point me in a good direction - book or video - where I can learn how to do these GUI-related things?

Meanwhile, more 'work' in progress . . .

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 20, 2006, 09:53 AM

I think you should visit http://www.macthemesforums.net/ and make your request again...
This is where most of the talent hangs out these days

Forum Links
Forum Rules