Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > can't copy in Excel?

can't copy in Excel?
Spartan24
Apr 5, 2006, 09:11 PM

Hi everyone,

Just tried to dump a database file (csv) and copy the contents into Excel as I do almost every day and find that for some strange reason I cannot copy data from Excel or csv. It just beachballs for ever and finally I have to force quit excel?

Just updated to 10.4.6 yesterday on this Powerbook G4 1.5, 1.5 gigs ram. I just noticed this tonite as it was the first time I had tried copying since the update. Text files and other copy procedures seem to be fine, just Excel.. I have restarted, repaired permissions, and installed the lated MS Office 2004 updates. Nothing seems to fix the problem. Also I have re-downloaded the database file 2 additional times to be certain it wasn't corrupt or something.

I find this extra strange because my iMac (2 Ghz Intel Core Duo) still handles the copy procedure fine with the same version of Office 2004? I downloaded the same data and performed the same procedure, no problem on iMac....

Appreciate any ideas anyone has on what might be causing this problem... I would add, as an aside, that I also just noticed that I cannot connect to my Imac thru the network now either? Not sure if this has any relation, but thought it should be mentioned.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 09:13 PM

Why not open the csv file in Excel instead of copying and pasting it in?

Spartan24  (op)
Apr 5, 2006, 10:13 PM

Hi Mark..

The data in the actual workbook has quite a few additional sheets all linked with formulas, etc. The csv file opens in excel by default, I just need the data to enter into the workbook. Anyway.. once I select the columns and rows of data and try to copy.... beachball and force quit..

Spartan24  (op)
Apr 5, 2006, 11:06 PM

Well, I wish I knew what caused this.. If anyone has a similar problem and discovers the cause I would love to find out. Here's what I did:

Copied my entire excel workbook from my Powerbook to my intel iMac.
Copied the data from the csv file into the workbook on the iMac
Saved the file and transferred the file back to the Powerbook
Opened the file in the powerbook and find I can now copy data in excel again.. ???

This seems very strange because I had opened a few other excel files with the powerbook before and it failed to copy any data from any excel worksheet.. Seems to be working OK for now... Also, just tried my network connection from the Powerbook to the iMac and was able to connect! Wow....

Forum Links
Forum Rules