Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > macOS Sierra shows the wrong desktop background upon booting to the login screen

macOS Sierra shows the wrong desktop background upon booting to the login screen
And.reg
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Dec 6, 2016, 07:44 PM

Greetings.

I changed my desktop background picture to one of the files in a folder that I have located at

~/Documents/Identity/Media/Uncategorized pictures/

That's just a folder where I keep pictures that I may want to use for my background.

Well say that I want Picture A to be my desktop.

I have confirmed that the blurred version of the picture that I expect to show (of Picture A) is located correctly at:

/Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

but that is not what macOS Sierra actually loads when I boot up to the FireVault login screen. Instead it shows a blurred image of a previous desktop picture (picture B) that I used for a few days... weeks ago.

I even tried removing the file for Picture B out of that folder and restarting the computer. Instead of showing Picture A, blurred, macOS shows Picture B blurred.

Fortunately, after logging in, it goes to the un-blurred version of Picture A, which I would expect anyway.

I couldn't find a thread about this when I did a general internet search.

How do I force macOS Sierra to show the blurred version of Picture A upon getting to the FileVault login screen upon boot?
( Last edited by And.reg; Oct 21, 2017 at 05:57 PM. )
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2016, 10:22 AM

I'm not saying this isn't an issue, but since it's only there with your login screen, is it a "significant" issue?

And of course I'll ask if you have cold rebooted since changing your background. The OS appears to cache a lot of stuff in places we normal humans don't have access to, so it may just be that that cache is still holding onto the blurred version of B. I'm particularly leaning this way because you've deleted the original file. So a cold reboot "should" change this. If you have cold rebooted, I don't know what the next step is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Dec 12, 2016, 08:16 AM

Changing the background to the default macOS Sierra for 10 seconds then randomly selecting a bunch of other pictures remedied the problem.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Oct 21, 2017, 05:56 PM

Well now the problem came back in High Sierra, except this time, none of the above advice worked, and not even purging my background picture worked. I boot up my Pro MacBook, and on the login screen, it still shows the old background picture that I purged. What's going on??

Forum Links
Forum Rules