Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How is this setup for a first Mac System (QS 867)?

How is this setup for a first Mac System (QS 867)?
loh
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2002, 08:36 PM

I just realized that apple gives student discounts on their site, so I was originally looking @ the Dual 867 machine for 1600 after discount but I found something else. Theyre offering the Single processor 867 quicksilver for a price of $1,155.

Heres the Spex
� 867MHz PowerPC G4
� 128MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
� 40GB Ultra ATA drive
� CD-RW drive
� NVIDIA GeForce4 MX dual-display w/32MB DDR
� Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
� Mac OS - U.S. English

I downgraded the memory from 256 -> 128 to lower the price by 70 bux, and I got rid of the 56k modem which is useless for me. If I buy this system, I will probably add 1 gig of ram from another vendor and maybe upgrade the video card later. Is this a better deal than the Dually?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 09:46 PM

It would be good enough, at least, though if you're a heavy gamer and/or power user, the extra CPU could be useful. It would also be nice to know that you could read DVD media on your system with a DVD/CD-RW drive.

However, if going for the more expensive system meant that you had to do without a large chunk of that memory, I would consider the single 867.

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2002, 11:30 PM

if you get a dualie i guarantee that you'll be using it with satisfaction 3+ years from now.

this is nice too but i would go dualie. if you have a few hundred more...spend it. dual 867 is a pretty nice value. i say go for it

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

raskol
Banned
Oct 16, 2002, 06:22 AM

If you have the money definitely go with the DP and the DVD. You must have more than 128MB of memory to make your experience pleasant. RAM will be cheaper on the QS 867. 512MB = $50

Basically if you are using credit or loan money you need to buy cheap!! So go with the QS.

raferx
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 06:25 PM

Dual all the way. There will be no performance comparison between the two boxes. A single chip is dead in the water under X.2 or (X), and the resale value of the DP will be much higher. Also, the life of the machine as far as usability will be far longer under the DP because of the huge performance gains 2 CPU's have over one. GET THE DP... DON"T BE A FOOL! Spend the extra cash, and get as much RAM as possible. You can always buy beer later. An 867 QS will be dog in a year, but the DP 867 will have alot of life left in it.
Cheers,
raferx

loh  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 11:18 PM

I was talking to a friend today who has a QS 733 and he recommended I get the single. He said the dual is really only useful if youre doing a lot of video editing, working with large files etc. (which I have no plans on doing). I can probably afford the dual just as well as the single though, come to think of it. The price of the dual would be 1570 after apple student discount. One thing I love about macs is the resale value (compared to my 700 dollar pc 9 months old which is now probably worth about 300).

raskol
Banned
Oct 17, 2002, 08:51 AM

You will use your second processor every second of every day in OS X. It is written to use multiple CPUs. Video editing has nothing to do with it. Everything you do will be a little faster. Fast SCSI hard drives are for video editing and big files. Just the fact that you have the operating system on any application running means you are multitasking. If you use 2 or more applications at one time you will use your second CPU all the time. Do you surf the web and listen to MP3s at the same time?

loh  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 09:44 PM

I am always browsing the net w/ multiple IE windows, mp3 software, and chat programs/IRC going in WinXP. The noise level of the new Dual G4's that people have been complaining about kinda scares me as well. I have a little fans in my PC as I can get away with, and it also sits in a desk enclosure, whereas my G4 will sit on top of my desk. Anyway, Im still looking for more opinions?

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 10:45 PM

it's not that loud.

it gets lower after a week and the fans turn on less often too.

also, in my opinion....makes about the same noise as my former dell 1800. so, i never really noticed until people started talking about it.

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

Forum Links
Forum Rules