Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] "It comes in colors everywhere!" - New Milk

[ANN] "It comes in colors everywhere!" - New Milk
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 19, 2005, 02:32 PM

Milk now comes in blue, green, pink and silver colors:

Get it from Max Themes

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 02:42 PM

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2005, 02:43 PM

no chocolate?!?

i've never had silver milk before...doesn't sound safe to me.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Mar 19, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
no chocolate?!?

i've never had silver milk before...doesn't sound safe to me.
Each color has four variations - Regular, Chrome, Chocolate and Chocolate Chrome.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2005, 02:51 PM

ah ok...milk looks nice, but i prefer some other themes over it.

green milk also doesn't sound good...sounds a bit moldy.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 02:56 PM

One of the greatest themes EVER just got better. Good job Max. Now, if only your new job did themes for phones like the Nokia 6630 ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ultraman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2005, 03:02 PM

Wow my god, great news, thanx, that's exactly what we needed

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2005, 03:42 PM

YESS!!!! green is exactly what i wanted

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 04:59 PM

Beautiful update! thanks Max. I would love a black version too, not like the chocolate, but with all the stuff that the color versions have in their specific color just plain black.
Could you consider that for some future update?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 05:33 PM

"she comes in colors everywhere"...

just got it! rolling stones, "she's a rainbow"..!
somewhere way back in the 20th century...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ender2002
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
"she comes in colors everywhere"...

just got it! rolling stones, "she's a rainbow"..!
somewhere way back in the 20th century...
and the iMac commercials from back when, 1999

http://lib.store.yahoo.com/lib/redli...imaccolors.mov

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Milk now comes in blue, green, pink and silver colors:

Get it from Max Themes
Superb color choice... Right along with the colors of the iPod Minis.

Great work. Great support. Great great.

R

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
and the iMac commercials from back when, 1999

http://lib.store.yahoo.com/lib/redli...imaccolors.mov

of course! d'oh!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 08:17 PM

I love them! The blue variant, for example, only has blue on the menu and cycle drop down selector. Shouldn't the progress things be blue as well? Thanks!

hihowareyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 05:14 AM

awww pink, how could i resist?

Makki
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 06:39 AM

Milk milk where are you? oh hi milk there you are, i never recognized you. new look i see
hmm looks great is this the new you? ok great. Ya know milk what would be cool if you had a flavor of your original look when you first came out. yea i think that would be great. i miss the milk i used to know.

Makki

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2005, 11:56 AM

This is amazing! Really great job!

Would you ever consider making the close, maximize, minimize buttons the same colour as the theme (pink, green, etc)? That's probably the thing that would add enough colour to the theme for me to use it all the time.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 03:00 PM

Pardon my rant, but why the heck can't I get a version with white menus and a black apple?? Why?

All I can get is one with a black apple, but black menus or a silver apple and white menus.

GIVE ME BLACK (Or colored. Actually, a variation with a themed colored Apple would be nice too.) Apple and WHITE menus and I will be happy! Just one variation is all I ask! I HATE the silver Apple and I hate the black menus (Slightly less) so I end up suffering with black and blue menus when all I want is a black apple!

PLEASE!!! DO THIS! I can't afford ThemePark to MOD it myself.

Edit: Also, how about Orange and Red variations.

BTW, I've been using Milk for a long time now. I truly is one of the best. It just needs some work.
( Last edited by Jasoco; Mar 23, 2005 at 03:08 PM. )

ElricQuill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Pardon my rant, but why the heck can't I get a version with white menus and a black apple?? Why?

All I can get is one with a black apple, but black menus or a silver apple and white menus.

GIVE ME BLACK (Or colored. Actually, a variation with a themed colored Apple would be nice too.) Apple and WHITE menus and I will be happy! Just one variation is all I ask! I HATE the silver Apple and I hate the black menus (Slightly less) so I end up suffering with black and blue menus when all I want is a black apple!

PLEASE!!! DO THIS! I can't afford ThemePark to MOD it myself.

Edit: Also, how about Orange and Red variations.

BTW, I've been using Milk for a long time now. I truly is one of the best. It just needs some work.
I have to agree with Jasoco...

I also love the Milk themes and have been using them for ages, but the same thing bugs me too - the chrome Apple menu icon in the standard white Milk themes. I too think it should be black (or maybe even another colour - those of the different coloured themes?). It seems 'out of place' with the non-chrome white buttons. I defintly think a black Apple menu icon is a must for all non-chrome Milk themes.

One more this, though I think this is just me, but I'd like to see the white menu Milk theme without the greyish bevels along the edges. The black menus are flat(without bevels) and I think this might also work well with the white menus - no bevels.

Otherwise a great job! I really like the blue Milk and I've been trying out the grey for some time now...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 04:00 PM

I would like the standard Milk windows. A colored Apple. White menus with the colorized selectted item.

Maybe an option for colored buttons or at least a little color. But the first paragraph is my main wishlist.

I really wish I could waste more money to buy ThemePark. But I already have enough shareware apps I bought recently I don't use now.

Vi0
Baninated
Mar 23, 2005, 04:23 PM

This theme could be more original. The original milk was more original.

"It comes in colors everywhere" - This makes no sense to me as a native English speaker.

After looking at the company webpage of your employer, I have noticed the following statement proudly displayed - "Take the Bling-Bling Out Of My Ring-Ring!" I know I wouldn't do busienss with such a foolish company.

Sir Arthur Dent
Mar 23, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:

"It comes in colors everywhere" - This makes no sense to me as a native English speaker.

After looking at the company webpage of your employer, I have noticed the following statement proudly displayed - "Take the Bling-Bling Out Of My Ring-Ring!" I know I wouldn't do busienss with such a foolish company.
And the award for unprovoked d0uchbaggery goes to...

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Sir Arthur Dent:
And the award for unprovoked d0uchbaggery goes to...
who?

i agree with Vi0. "It comes in colors everywhere!" makes no sense to me either.

also, the "Take The Bling-Bling Out Of My Ring-Ring!" sounds childish and foolish.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 05:26 PM

Have either of you ever heard of the Rolling Stones?

Here: http://jasocohms.no-ip.com/~jasoco/v...0(240x180).mov

smithz4096
Mar 23, 2005, 07:43 PM

hi max,

really liked the simplicity of milk from day one but i dislike the fact that whole design is based on white. (so white as the brightest color in RGB space is completely occupied for the gui) other white elements don't stick out anymore. this makes white elements in a gui harder to spot.

max, what about a "dimmed" version of milk?

I tried all kinds of grey themes, but they are "too grey", to inconsistent scrollbars or strange buttons. they don't have this simplicity i like about milk.

maybe a "grey milk" would be cool. besides in real life a grey milk is disgusting, but this is a GUI and not a drink.

best,

smithz...

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 12:00 AM

If you look on Max's home page forums, there's a Metal Milk mod that's a little darker, i don't like it at all due to other problems. I'm like you and want a slightly darker version.

http://www.funmac.com/showthread.php?t=7040

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 12:07 AM

Me too. Also, I would love it if the Metal that apps like Safari and iCal and iChat use looked like iTunes. WTF is the point of making iTunes that cool grey (Non-brushed) color but making iChat, iCal and Safari white?

That's another variation I'd like.

Actually, I think I'd also love to see a Milk done completely in the same grey tone of iTunes. Yeah!

hihowareyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 04:44 AM

i agree with the black apple comments 100% i really can't stand the chrome apple.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Mar 24, 2005, 07:29 AM

This thread is turning out to a request fest..
I can take some pointers, a single colored apple menu sounds like a good idea.
And possibly a red Milk as well, but I like to keep the color variations to a minimum. Blue, Green, Silver/Graphite and Red are the usual color variations, but I decided to go with Pink instead of red this time. But I'll test a red color and see if turns out nice.

Stuff like changing the metal texture, making a darker version is something I will not do. The reason iTunes is metal is because it's impossible to make it white. And the reason I won't add minor variations with slight changes like making the metal windows grey is because I want to keep the number of variations down to a minimum. Each new variations increases the files size quite a bit and makes it harder and harder to maintain the theme. If I for example want to change the apple menu, I have to go trough all four colors and the four variations in those colors. That means I have to change the apple menu in 16 places just to change that single resource, because that's the way ThemePark works right now. I had a hard enough time making these four color variations.

I love them! The blue variant, for example, only has blue on the menu and cycle drop down selector. Shouldn't the progress things be blue as well? Thanks!
The Milk theme is overall a white theme and the colors are there for usability, to make certain elements stand out, like the selection in a list or the active state of an iTunes button. I have considered taking it further, but adding too much color would make it too different from the original design.

Right.. Specify what could be more "original". Simply claiming it isn't original doesn't tell me much. I'm not striving for originality as much as I am trying to perfect the concept.

The topic title was something I came up with last minute, and it refers to the commercial for the original colored iMacs, like ender2002 mentioned.

I don't care what you think of my employer, but I personally think you are lacking humor.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2005, 07:49 AM

Great answer from a great themer, who apparently has taken every individual issue on this thread into serious consideration

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2005, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I'm with Gerrit. Thanks for taking all of these suggestions into consideration, Max!

Like I said before: slightly more colour. And I agree about the Apple; I hate that chrome thing. An apple matching the colour of the theme would be very awesome.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 12:46 PM

Max's forum (I linked it earlier in this thread) has a thread for requesting theme variations. There are quite a few good themers in there, ask for something in the forum there and you might be surprised.

smithz4096
Mar 24, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
menu, I have to go trough all four colors and the four variations in those colors. That means I have to change the apple menu in 16 places just to change that single resource, because that's the way ThemePark works right now. I had a hard enough time making these four color variations.
I can fully understand that. Creating those variations seems to be a kind of endless "brute force"-working when using themepark, i gave up creating a theme after i saw all those endless images, resources. Big respect to your patience and effort doing milk!

An intelligent "tinting" algorithm in themepark would be super-helpful.

MsKacey007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 01:56 AM

How do you change the color of the apple?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 03:37 AM

Boozo or Max or whoever makes this theme, you are awesome! Thanks for the white menus and black Apple. Also the Orange theme. I can die happy now.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bOOzo
If I for example want to change the apple menu, I have to go trough all four colors and the four variations in those colors. That means I have to change the apple menu in 16 places just to change that single resource, because that's the way ThemePark works right now. I had a hard enough time making these four color variations.

Ya, that's why I just stopped working on my theme in general.

Forum Links
Forum Rules