Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > What's your Seti name?

What's your Seti name?
druber
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2000, 10:39 AM

I check the official Team MacNN page pretty often these days, as I'm bucking to get into the top 100 in our team standings. When I look at the names on the list, though, I don't recognize many of them from the nicks people use in the forum. So reveal yourselves, masked crunchers, and take thy place. Let's help push each other up the ranks!

druber, whose name on seti is...druber
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 6, 2000, 01:24 PM

You will never guess my SETI name!

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2000, 04:37 PM

yeah, you're the reader50 who warned me that i'd get passed if i kept fooling around with popular power. thanks for the heads-up, there. I work with too many non-netizens: they're afraid Seti will let hackers in Otherwise I'd be pulling another 5wu/day, which would sure be a nice boost for me..

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2000, 07:16 PM

It's good to put a personality to the people u pass. I'm kaiser_soce and I just passed Druber about 2 weeks ago. I've been trying to break back into the top 100 for awhile, but it seems every time i get closer, someone joins with more wu's than I have.

And to Jens "mistadj" iMac 350, 8600(G3/266), better start crunching a bit faster, or I'll make up that 1 wu difference between us in the next few days.
Nice idea druber, hopefully people will use this opportunity to increase competition.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

Psych
Dec 6, 2000, 10:09 PM

i'm SilverHawk on seti... it used to be my nick but i changed...

jeffreyloaf
Dec 6, 2000, 10:35 PM

There is one and only one Jeffreyloaf.

I'm just posting to see the star things.

I was down to less than 8 hours of crunching per day for a whole week due to my electric in the house being brought up to standards.

I have installed seti logger when I switched to 3.0 and now average 9 hours and 16 minutes per unit (3.0 is depressing). My best was 1 minute and 4 seconds and worst was 11 hours and 34 minutes.

PS. Santa's going to be getting me something new at Macworld.
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2000, 12:28 AM

heh. this is a good idea. i've no idea who's around me (154 wu's).

i'm poocat, by the by.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Danometer
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2000, 12:38 AM

I agree. I'd like to know these people who keep zooming past me.

Since I joined this bunch, I've passed 4 people and been passed by 35, but that's what happens with you crunch SETI with an iMac Rev B (G3@233 MHz) and two PowerMac 7100s (PPC601@80MHz).
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. - Murphy's Laws of Combat

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2000, 04:35 PM

gosh thanks keyser for the reminder you heartless b@stard. [big ] you look pretty well poised to hit the top 100 soon. how many machines do you have crunching?

Danometer, I'd be glad to zoom past ya, but I'd need a little help first. How'd you like to crunch for a week or two on my account?

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2000, 05:46 AM

heh, sorry druber, u put up a good fight though
my comps are a Pentium II 233 laptop and a rev a imac g3 233, (don't tell anyone, but that whole g3 is 50% faster is bs)
next on the list for passing is steve rosenberg. I'll give u a week.
After that i can't make any promises.

Come on guys, where's the competition. This is why OCN smoked us. They give each other crap all the time to motivate each other.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

mleroux01
Dec 8, 2000, 10:07 AM

My SETI name is Mumble01. My iMac DV at home occasionally finishes crunching units while also acting as my stereo but most of my crunching is done on this PII/NT 4 box here at work. Sosumi.

Mike

Danometer
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2000, 10:34 AM

Hey Druber, you don't need my help. You'll be there soon enough on your own.

Wasn't Druber the pseudo-elephant with the glasses on "Banana Splits"?
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. - Murphy's Laws of Combat

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2000, 10:37 AM

keyser, i'm just being a bugger. no hard feelins surprised you only have two computers goin, tho. i've got 2 b&w300s and a 233mhz604 runnin 24/7. come on, now. spill. what else you got crunchin?

mumble, don't look now, but..

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2000, 11:19 AM

And I'm tonymac (as always). I'm using a G4/400 and HP Pavilion (Celeron 533) and crunching ~3 units per day.
Whoohoo! I passed Danometer. (just kidding)

BTW, what's up with all the people who haven't done any WU's?
[Cool! 300 posts.]

[This message has been edited by tonymac (edited 12-08-2000).]

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2000, 12:50 PM

I'm weissstagliano, since that's my company, and they're paying for it all...

Now have 16 G4s, probably 20 iMacs, and a handful of beige G3s and 604s on the case. Haven't checked in awhile how many I'm doing per day, but my average WU time has gone from 8'29" on v2.04 to about 8'50" today..

-pwc

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2000, 02:34 PM

pcurtner, my most sincere condolences on your increased wu time. everyone has trials they must face, and this may well be yours. btw, what's your overall ranking in seti right now?

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2000, 05:15 PM

Ummmm... 7th.

-pwc

[This message has been edited by pcurtner (edited 12-08-2000).]

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2000, 06:29 PM

I meant in all of seti, snarkbutt.

zoom zoom

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2000, 06:53 PM

I am getting set to pass jbiga, again. Seems like I have passed jbiga several times.

DocWest, you had better be saving up units. Giving me the 2.04 client was a serious mistake.

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2000, 10:27 PM

My seti name is (you'll never guess this)... tadd

# 52 and wobbling. I have been in and around 52 for a few weeks as people come and go. seti says my overall ranking is 56210th place. Wow. I should keep track of that. What does it mean that 89 people have this rank?

I'm crunching now with 2 Pentium III/733s, a G4/400agp, and an iMacDV/400.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2000, 11:27 PM

It means that 89 people in the world have the same number of work units completed as you do. The higher you move up the scale, the less company you have. You have to go up pretty high before you can be alone with a rank shared with no one else.

cwasko
Senior User
Dec 8, 2000, 11:49 PM

I'm 'cwasko' I'm currently at 33rd place on Team MacNN. Overall, I'm at place 37478 and I share it with a whopping 40 people. I've completed 1196 WU's since July 3 of this year.

I use 2 B&W 450Mhz MacOS X Servers, 1 B&W 350 MacOS X PB, 1 333MHz Bronze laptop, 1 7100/80av, and a crap-o 120MHz PII.

I've been bogged down with work this week so I didn't get squat for units done. I've been converting about 700 mp3 files into 3 different QT streaming bitrates! Talk about some work! Ahhhh!

DocWest
Senior User
Dec 9, 2000, 02:33 AM

reader50, how many work units you do each day?

I only do 2 per day, so you're prolly gonna pass me pretty soon anyways.

Yeah, you can go and do your units with 2.04, but at least I know my units crunched with 3.0 are worth more to SETI than yours

reader50
Administrator
Dec 9, 2000, 04:38 AM

315 units just now. I tend to do 3 units per day on my G4 350. The slowest Sawtooth ever released.

I could do almost 4 units per day if I quit fooling around with other time wasters like games & work on my Mac.

... and staying ahead of mkbhatia is proving to be a major pain. But we can't let an admin get by, can we?

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2000, 10:22 AM

aw, i've been a seti cruncher for a year and a day now, that's so great. of course, i crunched for the first nine months on a 120mhz 604, so i got a lot of [yawn] done then.

reader50, seems evident to me that you should be a new mac just to crunch seti units. that way you won't feel pressed for time when you're working or gaming or whatever. especially with an admin behind you. this is about the allocation of resources. or, more specifically, you allocating a few more to yourself. [heheh]

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2000, 10:53 AM

I'm xYankee... I have three or four Macs at home crunching for me, a PM G4/450, PB G3/400, PowerCenter G3/500, 7600 G4/350.

A buddy of mine has his G4/400 helping out, and he just added some Pentium II 266 system which is just killing my average (it takes 40 hours per unit! -- my avg. increases by 1-2 minutes every time it sends a unit in).

NiteOwl
Dec 12, 2000, 12:46 PM

40 hrs WU! ack! That sucks! Is your friend running the GUI as a screen saver? That takes at least twice as long.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2000, 02:20 PM

Yow. Even my 7600/132 can usually kill units in 36-37 hours. My 233/604 takes about 25 hours per unit. My average time was crap to begin with, so I don't mind. Anyone have an average time for a 250/G3 upgrade card? Be interesting to see the difference..

Misha, you getting closer to cracking the top10, or is it running pretty even?

elzinat
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2000, 03:46 PM

SETI name: ver close to my macnn uid

my single G4 runs every now and then. my mother complains if I leave it on all the time...

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2000, 05:23 PM

elzinat, you're doing pretty well for just crunching now and then. i understand your mom (even if it aint great). electric is expensive, and there's been a lot of crap about that in ca recently.

hmm, saw seanyepez on the team now. nice to see the official dewds climbing the charts.

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2000, 06:06 AM

Druber, i swear i only got 2 233 comps running. And like i said, as soon as i pass someone, someone else joins with more wu's than i have. I just passed 2 people and shouldv'e gone into 104th, but i'm still back in 105th. Argh, if i was a lil more drunk, i'd post a Ca$h-esque kind of post. But i guess it'll just take me a few more months to get back into the top 100.

PS Misha, i can't for the life of me figure out how u have 266 p2's giving u 40 hour wu's. Either you're mistaken, you're lying to make macs look better, or you just made that time up. Because my p2 233 is now giving me steady 12 hour units. 6 in a row actually in 12 hours, so it's not a fluke. If your p2's are running in the background, then maybe, but get your friend to put on the 3.0 cli, and run seti driver, and it'll put most of your g3's to shame.

Once i get a 1.2 Gz athlon to add to my duet of seti comps, i'll really be passing u guys. Sorry, but i've given up on moto processors, as much as i love my mac, but my imac will be my primary comp till it decides to die and become an iMaquarium.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2000, 11:42 AM

keyser, what's your imac getting, then? i've got 5 macs crunching at the moment, none quite as fast as your p2 [whadda piddy], but still pulling in decent times. hmm, would you hold off on that athlon until i can sneak past you again? just for old time's sake?

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2000, 01:35 PM

Hiho,
my SETI name is the same as the MacNN name (duh),
My three macs crunch 5 w/u per day (iMac revA, iMac SE 500mhz and iBook
366mhz). I am hovering around the 30th position and can't get in the top 25
because of all the new big crunchers (no complaints for the team!).

Thanks Danometer for the stats updates, one great feature we could had in
the members page is to get daily w/u output per day over a fixed period
(like 1 week and 1 month to see the evolution). It would need to store a daily update of the w/u per member, and then just compare to current numbers everyday. Bit of a pain to maintain but what a great competitive tool.

Keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by proux (edited 12-13-2000).]

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2000, 05:01 PM

Druber, my iMac gets between 13 and 17 hour wu's with the 3.0 client. And don't worry about me getting an athlon very soon now, i just managed to get a playstation 2 off a guy, and my wallet seems a lot emptier now I'm sure if you've got all that stuff crunching you'll pass me pretty soon though.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2000, 06:04 PM

well obviously you need to get crackin on getting a ps2 version of seti! don't worry; if i pass you, you'll pass me again soon enough. i've been making the big push for a while, keeping my machines on 24/7 and all. once i hit the top 100, or maybe 500wus, i'll ease off a lot. save some electric $$, maybe crunch for other projects, and just generally help the people who pass me feel cool.

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2000, 06:29 PM

wow, druber, you really are making a big push. It's all i can do to keep someone in between us before you pass me sometime in the next couple of days. I think i'm gonna have to get some friends really drunk, and hide seti on their comps after they pass out. The things i'll do to stay ahead in seti.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2000, 06:38 PM

to my sorrow, you probably just skated free. i had 2 friends crunching for me and both had to take it off their machines, my #1 and #3 players. i was doing so well, too. maybe i can find some new folks to finagle, but i'm not too hopeful. [grrrrrr...] is there something else i can beat you at instead?

just checked the standings, the guy between us is a new guy. talk about gettin all the breaks...

Forum Links
Forum Rules