Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook sound issue

New Powerbook sound issue
MacAtak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 05:41 PM

When I'm listenig to iTunes the sound will randomly get distorted for 2-3 seconds but the song will keep playing. Kinda hard to explain exactly what is happening but its as if part of the song gets repeated while the rest of the song continues playing. At first I thought I was loosing it.

I have no idea whats going on. Anybody else experience this problem? I'm not sure if its software or hardware related and it happens randomly so its a pain in the ass to try to test it.

Thus, creating the most ginormous can of whoop ass the world as ever seen.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2005, 05:44 PM

what version itunes? what version osx? is this on your pb, or over airtunes?
need more info!

also (maybe dumb question)...where is crossfade playback set (in itunes prefs).

may be worth updating itunes, see if that fixes it. (guess we need version info first)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

MacAtak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 06:10 PM

iTunes 6.0.1
OS X 10.4.3

This is just on my powerbook, no airtunes, and crossfade is turned off.

I've also tested it without having any speakers attached just to be absolutley sure it wasn't my speaker system.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by daringfireball.net
Several MacInTouch readers have reported an odd “looping” sound glitch during music playback from iTunes (or in one reader’s case, QuickTime Player). I’ve heard this too — it’s very similar to the sound of a CD player skipping while playing a scratched disc, but of course, I’m not playing CDs. The skipping lasts for a few seconds and then corrects itself, and stopping / starting playback fixes it as well. What’s so curious about this is that it apparently only happens on new 15-inch PowerBooks.
i've heard it on my new 17" powerbook too.

MacAtak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 07:13 PM

Whew! So I'm not the only one. Was that quote from these forums? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 07:53 PM

i sometimes get distored video and sound when watching a video file under VLC umm ..on my ibook G4..

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2005, 08:05 PM

it was quoted from daringfireball.net.

i have no idea what it is, or why it is caused, but it's not very bothersome since i can't remember when the last time it happened was.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2005, 04:29 AM

yeah i get it too. it happens in iTunes, Quicktime, DVD Player, Logic, etc - so it seems to me to be a hardware issue, not a software issue. not sure why it's happening though.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2005, 05:26 AM

Im having the same problem! It's driving me nuts, im a brand spanking new mac owner (just got my first powerbook 2 weeks ago) and im a bit concerned here... Especially since i plan on using it for audio production and the likes. It basically loops the audio over and over on top of itself getting louder and louder (which is painful as i usually have my music at a relatively high volume to begin with) at random intervals in itunes. It happens in the middle of tracks so its not a problem with transferring between songs... anyone have any idea whats going on??

signed,
your local concerned mac newbie

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005, 06:52 AM

I'm really not sure - it seems to be almost at random - it happens from time to time regardless of how few or how many processes I have running.

Next time it happens I'll see what else I have open. Perhaps others might want to do the same so we can compare why it might be happening.

Does anyone know if Apple themselves are aware of this yet?
iPhone 4 32GB Black

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2005, 11:27 AM

Double post
( Last edited by justinkim; Nov 22, 2005 at 01:54 PM. )

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2005, 11:29 AM

Happens to me, too. Completely random and goes away after a few seconds.

Doesn't happen often enough to drive me into a rage, but often enough to make me concerned.

It's happened while playing World of Warcraft, when in VLC, and while watching TV over an OS X native MythTV Frontend.

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2005, 03:22 PM

Just happened to me again and I had nothing open except for itunes...

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005, 08:50 PM

Just reported the sound issue to Apple, along with another keyboard issue i'm having. I'll let you know what they say.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 05:16 PM

I called apple and they had me reset my itunes preferences to see if it would work. The sound issue stopped for about a week, but just started up again and has happened 2 times in the last 15 minutes. Guess its time to get on the phone again...

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 01:45 PM

double post
( Last edited by e-cyras; Nov 29, 2005 at 01:51 PM. )

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 01:49 PM

i've the same problem.... and it's not only in a certain application, but one the whole system (also if i've opened no applications and listen to music over the finder-player-function)! the problem occurs mainly on high system load! it could be a hardware or an operation system issue..

if someone gets an answer from apple, could he post it please? thx

i'm on mac os x 10.4.3 - apple powerbook g4 1.67 ghz hi-res
greetings ecyras

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 07:39 AM

Okay - so we can confirm that this is happening on the following systems?

New PB 17"
New PB 15"

Sound "delay" is system wide, not specific to any program.

Anything else?

And yes, if anyone gets a reply from Apple, could they please post it? Thanks.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 07:42 AM

It hadn't happened to me for about a week, then tonight it's happened at least four times. I've not got Audacity running the background recording the audio incase it happens again.

I just had a though - I'm only running the stock of 512 RAM. Is anyone else who is experiencing this problem running more than 512 RAM?
( Last edited by B Gallagher; Nov 30, 2005 at 10:24 AM. )
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
Is anyone else who is experiencing this problem running more than 512 RAM?
Yes. Me. I've got 2 gig in my 15". BUT, the issue only seems to occur when I am running another app in Classic - which I don't do often - while having something like AOL Radio playing at the same time.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 08:33 PM

i have 1.5gig and i am _pretty_ sure it has happened since i put the extra gig in.

edit. i just started an ichat voice chat with a friend and it happened once
( Last edited by mdc; Nov 30, 2005 at 10:53 PM. )

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
i have 1.5gig and i am _pretty_ sure it has happened since i put the extra gig in.

edit. i just started an ichat voice chat with a friend and it happened once
no, i don't think it's because of the memory upgrade - i've the stock 512mb memory and i get the issue if i've a high system load...!

religo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 06:04 PM

I got the same problem with my new 15" G4 pwbook with 2gb of ram and 10.4.3 updated
hope it's a software issue and that it will be fixed soon
because i use the powerbook for audio production and plan to use it on stage !!!

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 03:32 AM

^^^
Me too! Im pretty worried about this... Nothing would destroy a room worse than hearing that effect blasted over huge speakers!

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2005, 01:58 PM

Apple - IMHO - has a history of not addressing a lot of problems. Don't expect much as all their efforts are now focused on getting the Mactel PBs out.

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 07:01 PM

It seems like it might be a soundcard issue maybe... I just realized that whenever i've played music through my external USB soundcard (tascam us-122) it hasnt happened (yet).

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 07:05 PM

It seems like it might be a soundcard issue maybe... I just realized that whenever i've played music through my external USB soundcard (tascam us-122) it hasnt happened (yet).

Kdog01
Dec 4, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Ross
Hey guys,

I have had similar problems as you guys have described above on my 15in powerbook. It was frustrating me a lot actually. I just realized that my problem went away after I turned off the iTunes equalizer. Now it sounds fine. Give it a shot and see if it helps....

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 04:27 PM

I heard that this could happen if you are using the Pearlyric widget and have it set to update the lyrics in iTunes.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 05:04 PM

i've never used pearlyric, and i have had this in quicktime and an ichat voice chat. i turned off the itunes equalizer. let's see if this fixes it.

the thing is that i have had it about 3 times since i got my powerbook and that was about a month and a half ago.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kdog01
Hey guys,

I have had similar problems as you guys have described above on my 15in powerbook. It was frustrating me a lot actually. I just realized that my problem went away after I turned off the iTunes equalizer. Now it sounds fine. Give it a shot and see if it helps....

I get it when iTunes isn't on - for example with AOL Radio. So, the equalizer is not the issue.

yeahyeahyeahwhoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 05:11 PM

i am having this problem, new 17 inch powerbook, 10.4.3, 1 gig of RAM. Ive only noticed it when the computer is idle for a few minutes (watching a movie, listening to itunes)

PappyAnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeahwhoo
i am having this problem, new 17 inch powerbook, 10.4.3, 1 gig of RAM. Ive only noticed it when the computer is idle for a few minutes (watching a movie, listening to itunes)
Did you guys notice this problem when you bought it i just got mine and i have no problems
Pappy

17"PB 1.67ghz 1gb ram 120gb Hd:800mhz Gateway 216ram:Ipod Photo 20Gb:9 Piece DrumSet: I Love My Toys!
[FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]

yeahyeahyeahwhoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 10:18 AM

the problem seems to have gotten progressively worse as i've had it (i got it one month ago). also, i've never had the quicktime equalizer enabled. this is my first mac so i'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this, but its gotten really annoying.

jhazen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 09:40 PM

This problem is definitely *not* iTunes specific, as I was able to catch it in the act both with a java applet, and with the system beep. I have recordings of it occurring (via WireTap Pro), so if someone has a bug open and I can contribute those, I'd be willing. I'll also look into filing my own bug.

BTW - I have a new 17" PB with 2GB (Apple installed) RAM, so it's not the low memory theory...

yeahyeahyeahwhoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 11:12 AM

on the apple forums i found this:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=1185960

to sum it up, some people have found that turning off the airport and restarting fixes the problem, while wireless stays off. i'm trying this now, man what a crappy workaround.

jhazen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeahwhoo
to sum it up, some people have found that turning off the airport and restarting fixes the problem, while wireless stays off.
I tried this, and still had the problem (about 5 minutes after reboot). Darn.

I may try this next:
http://www.macilife.com/2005/12/poss...powerbook.html.

Fro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2005, 09:33 PM

Any news on this issue?

geigercounter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 08:39 AM

Just writing to say that I am having this problem too. Am also hoping to use this for sound editing, but haven't got around to that yet, but it is very bothersome. Now all we need is someone to set up a class action!! Any takers?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2005, 11:19 AM

Taken from another thread:

This from LoopRumors:

"A reliable source tells LoopRumors that Apple will unveil the next update in the sequence of Mac OS X Tiger releases on January 10, 2006. Previous reports pointed to the middle of December, however, new information suggests that 10.4.4 will be the first release compiled specifically for Intel processors, and will be available on January 10th. The update is said to consist of 120 bug fixes with targeted areas that include iPod integration, Audio, AppleScript, Bluetooth, CoreImage, Dashboard widgets, DVD Player, iMovie, GarageBand, Graphics (specifically Quartz), Graphics Drivers, iChat (specifically Video Conferencing), Safari, Sync Services and Spotlight."

Sounds promising... :O
iPhone 4 32GB Black

strontium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jhazen
The above solution did not work for me. I have also tried throwing away all iTunes prefs. This is clearly not an iTunes specific problem. I have had looping with iTunes mp3, AAC, and stream as well as iChat, Fire, DVD Player, and Mail.

strontium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 07:15 PM

I have called Apple Support twice on the audio looping issue. Both times the support engineers said they knew nothing about the issue. The last guy I talked to said that unless they got additional calls and case #'s created on the issue, it would not be escalated to engineering.

I encourage anyone experiencing this problem to call apple support. You can press 000 and/or say "Operator" to get to talk to someone immediately.

Apple is aware of the problem judging by this truly lame technical note (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302978) but they seem reluctant to indicate when or how it might be fixed.

There are many threads on this issue on the Apple support site. See this thread for an audio recording of the problem: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....hreadID=240423 .

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 04:36 AM

That is a rather pathetic technical note.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Dan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 06:02 AM

There is allot of us who are expiriencing this Echo Loop Problem / Echo Stutter and such with the new PowerBook Macs!

If you think you will find a fix somewhere.
Belive me when I say this.
NOTHING WORKS!

I have tried ALLOT of things to solve this issue...

YOU ALL HAVE to Call APPLE CARE NOW!
THEY are Obviously Choosing to IGNORE Us!

They have to clarefy if its a Hardware or a Software issue!
And then they have to give us a Emidiate soultuion!
If it is a Hardware issue affecting all the New PowerBooks the Have to Make a RECALL (by law we have the right to claim this).

If it is a Software issue (I doubt it though) Than they NEED to tell us this STRAIGHT AWAY and then they need to give us a DEADLINE for a FIRMWARE update ASP!!!

Call apple and push them on the issue at hand. Ask them to read the Most rapidly growing Powerbook forum on the Net: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....40423&tstart=0

Here you will allso find videoreccordings and sound reccordings ot the Echo loop problem!

And ask them what they are doing about it and WHEN we will have our Resolution. Dont hang up unless you feel you actually got some real facts and information. Allso make sure you get a case ID number.
Next time you call them again on this matter you will just mention your number/case ID and this will save you allot of time explaining yourself.

So please everyone we have had this Mailfunction for more than TWO Months now! Its Urgent that YOU CALL APPLE TODAY!

Make yourself heard!

This issue is beeing treated in a really disrespectfull manner by our big friend Apple.
I can not stress this hard enough.

YOU have to Make yourself heard!
Call Apple today and let them know there is ALLOT of us who will not Stand this Silent Treatment.

Dan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 04:58 AM

THERE IS A NEW PAGE FOR THIS ERROR.
PLEASE VISIT: http://powerbookdefect.info
And leave your name on the list.
We are pushing this page on every media posible!
Please do help u spread the word!

Apple is ignoritng us and its Time to fight back!!!
http://powerbookdefect.info/
Leave you name on the list!

(you can allso see a movie reccording of the echo loop on the page)

thickdrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 10:01 AM

Hi guys,
does anyone know if having external speakers attached to their PowerBook could be creating the problem. I usually have some cheap battery powered Sony speakers attached to the 3.5mm audio out port to give extra boost to the sound level, but this week I havent noticed the looping noise once, and I havent had any speakers attached to my computer.
Could people please say whether they have experienced the same thing. Cheers.

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by thickdrummer
Hi guys,
does anyone know if having external speakers attached to their PowerBook could be creating the problem. I usually have some cheap battery powered Sony speakers attached to the 3.5mm audio out port to give extra boost to the sound level, but this week I havent noticed the looping noise once, and I havent had any speakers attached to my computer.
Could people please say whether they have experienced the same thing. Cheers.
No, this problem occurs with or without connected external speakers...!
It's a soundcard-, soundcard-firmware- or an operating system related issue!
Cheers.

Ryan Ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 07:55 PM

Just talked to apple a couple days ago and they said it was a problem that they are trying to fix and it should be taken care of in the next software update

Xidius
Feb 17, 2006, 08:02 PM

Happens to me almose once a day.

17" Powerbook
1.67Ghz
2 gigs of ram
128mb ati 9700
100gb 7200rpm
Mac OSX 10.4.4 (haven't been using 10.4.5 long enough to experience it. May be fixed for all I know.)

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2006, 12:35 AM

10.4.5 seems to fix this issue, at least according to http://powerbookdefect.info/

Now I just need to download it!
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules