Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What is the point?

What is the point?
bboisvert
Feb 20, 2006, 02:14 PM

Orginal article can be found here http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...urt060220.html

Below is a quote reposted under the "Fair Use Doctrine" Copyright © CBC 2006

MPs to question new Supreme Court pick

Last Updated Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:16:05 EST CBC News

The next person nominated to sit on the Supreme Court of Canada will have to appear at a televised hearing before a committee of members of Parliament, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Monday.
[FONT=verdana,arial]Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Monday.[/FONT]

"There will be two rounds of questioning by committee members for three hours in total," Harper told a news conference in Ottawa. The committee will be made up of 12 members of Parliament, chosen from each of the four parties represented in the House of Commons in such a way that no party holds a majority.
The proposed new judge on Canada's highest court will be named on Thursday.
Harper said the committee will not have the power to confirm or quash the nomination after it questions the prospective judge four days later, on Feb. 27. He reserves that right for himself, as prime minister, and pledged to announce his decision on March 1.

"I will take account of the committee hearings," he added. "They will be a factor in our final decision."

The prime minister dismissed reporters' questions about whether a prospective judge might refuse to be questioned in a way unprecedented in Canadian legal circles, though confirmation hearings have long been the practice in the United States.

"I don't expect that," said Harper, who said he expects the MPs' questions to be respectful and non-partisan. "We will certainly make it clear that the nominee must be prepared to submit to the entire process.

"Sitting on the Supreme Court of Canada is a sufficient capstone to one's career that one should be prepared to answer [some] questions."

New justice will replace retiring Major

The retirement of Justice John Major has created a vacancy on the country's top court, and Harper's Conservatives are filling it quickly.

"Given the importance of the work the court carries out, we must act quickly to fill the vacancy that exists," Harper said.

Leading up to the Jan. 23 election, the Conservatives promised a free vote in the House of Commons on the appointment of new Supreme Court justices.
However, Parliament is not expected to sit until April 3, and Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin has urged that the new judge be appointed before then because the court has a heavy workload.
  • YOUR SPACE: Send us your thoughts

Traditionally, law societies, legal experts and the federal justice minister are consulted before the prime minister appoints a judge from a short list of qualified candidates.
The Liberal government under former prime minister Paul Martin added another level of consultation to the process the last time two vacancies had to be filled, in 2004.
[FONT=verdana,arial]The Justices of Canada's Supreme Court during a time when former Justice John Major was sitting with the court.[/FONT]
An ad-hoc committee of MPs from all parties was allowed to question the justice minister about candidates.

When Martin's government was defeated, the process was being refined further.
Another advisory committee of MPs from all parties, as well as a variety of people from within and outside the justice community, came up with a short list of three candidates to replace Major.
New Conservative Justice Minister Vic Toews was on that committee, and Harper confirmed Monday that he will choose the nominee from that list of three.
Asked why he did not continue with the process introduced by the Liberals, which McLachlin has endorsed, Harper said, "In our judgment as a party, this was not sufficiently open."
Since Major was from Alberta, the new justice is also expected to be from the Prairie provinces.
The annual salary of a Supreme Court justice is $257,800; the chief justice is paid $278,400.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial][/FONT]

My question is this, what is the point of this if the committee will not have the power to confirm or quash the nomination. I would see this being more valid if the committee had power but since they don't this is just, in my opinion a PR scheme. I say to Harper, don't do a half fast job, go all the way and make the change actually count for something.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 20, 2006, 02:37 PM

It's a tiny step, but in the right direction.

There's other things more important. Like the non-elected senate.

bboisvert  (op)
Feb 20, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
It's a tiny step, but in the right direction.

There's other things more important. Like the non-elected senate.
[FONT=Verdana]Oh I agree, the non-elected senate is a more important issue. But my original point was why bother, if you’re not going to have any real change in the process.[/FONT]

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2006, 07:23 PM

I just want one of those Santa robes those dudes are wearing. That's how you impress the ladies.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
I just want one of those Santa robes those dudes are wearing. That's how you impress the ladies.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 08:54 PM

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 09:00 PM

VERY nice!
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
That's all it is with you isn't it?!? SEX!!! STOP ASKING FOR SEX!!! I'M NOT GETTING ANY FRIGGIN' SLEEP AT NIGHT!!!
ebuddy

Rumor
Feb 24, 2006, 02:08 PM

We have an elected senate and look how far we got...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules