Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New to DVD burning

New to DVD burning
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 02:38 AM

I got a new Powerbook recently with the 8X Superdrive. I want to use it to back up some files to DVD. I'm just a little bit confused about some of the options that I have. Does it matter whether I burn to DVD-R or DVD+R? I know from reading another thread that the new Superdrives in the Powerbooks are somewhat picky about what discs they'll burn to at what speeds. Should I just go with the Apple-branded DVDs, or is there some other brand that is especially good?

robisconfusedd
Oct 7, 2005, 10:46 AM

any brand DVD should work fine, just remember to use DVD-R, the other ones wont work! i usually use whatever is on sale in bulk at frys they all burn at the same speed to me as far as i know

good luck with your backing up process! dvds freakin rule

powerbook911
Oct 7, 2005, 10:49 AM

You have the current Powerbook?

That means you can just about any disk you want!! I use DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-R. There are no worries with the Powerbooks now. They take everything, except dual layer!! Enjoy your DVD burning!
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
You have the current Powerbook?

That means you can just about any disk you want!! I use DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-R. There are no worries with the Powerbooks now. They take everything, except dual layer!! Enjoy your DVD burning!
So there's no real difference in functionality between DVD-R and DVD+R? Is one more suited to a particular purpose than another?

ibook_steve
Oct 7, 2005, 09:13 PM

No. They're basically the same. DVD-R is, in general, is more compatible with more equipment. I only use DVD-R.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules