Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pictures of your iMac setup

Pictures of your iMac setup (Page 22)
KatmanDu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 02:53 PM

I reload .38, .357, .308, .45, .40, and .338 Win Mag. I haven't mounted the turret press to the desk again after re-arranging everything. The helmet is for a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. The lens is a Sigma 50-500 for a Canon 20D- unfortunately, I'm not that good of a photographer.
24" iMac || katsden.5100bac.net

LittleBastad
Apr 24, 2007, 09:37 AM

View this on Flickr

It's not a great shot, but I've been waiting to join this thread for well over a year. And now I finally have myself an iMac! So, I had to share.

It's a 17" 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo, and I love it so far.
( Last edited by LittleBastad; Apr 24, 2007 at 09:44 AM. )
17" iMac - 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo - SuperDrive

The Castel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2007, 04:50 PM

i've changed some little particulars

God bless USA

Sorry if my english is not the best, i'm learning this beatiful tongue...
P.S. i love USA!!!

bensone1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 10:11 PM

what kind of cell phone is that?

Rooskibar03
Apr 26, 2007, 01:42 PM

Glass desk makes hiding wires a little tricky.

The Castel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by bensone1 View Post
what kind of cell phone is that?
it's a Sony Ericsson P910i. Perfect with a mac...

@Rooskibar03
your setup is beautiful
God bless USA

Sorry if my english is not the best, i'm learning this beatiful tongue...
P.S. i love USA!!!

JCP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 02:45 AM

The iMac setup in my home office:

muya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 07:39 PM

( Last edited by muya; May 9, 2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: host)

cherry su
May 9, 2007, 10:04 PM

muya, is that the 24"? it makes the 19" monitor it is next to look so tiny!
MacBook Pro T2500/1.5GB/100GB/256MB  iPod 20GB B&W  Mac mini 1.25/256MB/40GB/32MB  Dell 2.66/2GB/80GB/Intel Extreme Gfx

highstakes
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post

Here's mine. I just got it a few days ago. The specs for the iMac are in my sig.

1. Epson Stylus Photo RX850
2. Sauder Desk (#169234)
3. Edge iPod dock with 9 in 1 card reader and 80GB iPod
4. Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
5. Logitech MX Revolution mouse
6. 24" iMac
7. M-Audio Fast Track Pro
8. Rocstar Rocpro Firewire 800 HD enclosure
9. M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors
Very nice...clean look

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JCP View Post
The iMac setup in my home office:
Is that a Glassy Baby I see there?

JCP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 03:07 PM

Glassy Baby? No idea what that is.

muya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cherry su View Post
muya, is that the 24"? it makes the 19" monitor it is next to look so tiny!
it sure is a 24". i got it the other day to add to my current 13" macbook. it really does make the 19" look tiny!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 07:44 PM

Here is a pic of my best friend's "new" iMac G4. It's a 800MHz with 768 Mb of RAM and Tiger. He's working on getting prettier speakers And yes, that is my old 4G iPod.

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2007, 02:34 AM

iMac G4 - still the best looker.
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2007, 04:43 AM

yeah i still like the g4 imacs, wish i had extra money to buy one.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2007, 01:51 PM

I saw one in the apple store last night, I forgot how good they look in person. When the guy wheeled it out to show the guy who had it serviced, about 10 windows noobs went over and started asking if it was a new model that they could buy. I would take the design over the new one any day.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 08:56 PM

Funny. Sad. I loved that design. The old sunflower. I remember when it came out. The Time magazine that had it on the cover with Steve was in a waiting room at the hospital while I was there waiting to get my foot X-rayed after I broke it at work mopping the floor and almost got crushed to death. 'Twas a fun day. I bought one a few months later. It's currently in my brother's room. He is beating the hell out of it. It's dirty and dusty. I miss it. I wish he would hurry up and buy his own computer so I can take it back and clean the poor thing up.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2007, 12:52 AM

Hmmmmm, a new sunflower type 24" Intel iMac, please please Apple ....

GarrettStewie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jgcan View Post
Hmmmmm, a new sunflower type 24" Intel iMac, please please Apple ....
Eek, 24" on that arm could quite possibly topple the poor machine heh...

Still, IMHO, best iMac design. Ever.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

"Great minds discuss IDEAS. Average minds discuss EVENTS. Small minds discuss PEOPLE." - Eleanor Roosevelt

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JCP View Post
Glassy Baby? No idea what that is.
The candle between your remote and your lamp. Upon closer inspection it has the same shape, but might not be a true Glassy Baby. They are made in Seattle, and cost a lot. My girlfriend loves em. Personally, they are just another candle to me.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 12:12 AM

Here is the new updated setup.
Will post a better pic when I have some pictures up and I am actually settled.

Yay Skitch!
Who reads this???

JCP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2007, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
The candle between your remote and your lamp. Upon closer inspection it has the same shape, but might not be a true Glassy Baby. They are made in Seattle, and cost a lot. My girlfriend loves em. Personally, they are just another candle to me.
Hehe. There's no chance I'd blow $40 on a candle when it can go directly into the new gadget fund.

The candle's a $3 Glade scented candle monstrosity my wife put there to make the room smell like blueberries. She seems to like that, for some reason.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2007, 07:08 AM

Well I moved away to college, MacBook in hand. But the courses I was taking just weren't for me so I quit (by the way, loans suck! I'm never touching one again). Anyway, no need for my MacBook, so I bought another iMac! And a few other things.

I recently got another 19" Acer identical to my older one, an Xbox 360, and the S530 Logitech Desktop. The new iMac is a 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of ram and the 256 MB video option. Same configuration as last time, but a Core 2 Duo. The speed boost is unreal. By the way, add me if you use Xbox Live (Wednesdoom is my gamertag).

Anyways, I use the left screen as a display for my 360 using a VGA cable. I route the audio through my Mac with a handy program called LineIn (I don't have an optical sound system or one capable of taking RCA audio inputs that I really want cluttering my desk). The right screen is extended from the iMac. I bought a nicer wall mount for this one, instead of just a stationary one. You can tilt and swivel 360º so that's pretty handy.

I also bought an 80 gig iPod and dock, but those are sitting elsewhere surrounded in speakers (beside my bed ). Working at an Apple store is so awesome. I bought the 80 gig for $279 CAD.

The third picture down shows the keyboard I have hooked up to my 360 for when I'm using MSN or doing any other kind of text input (or if I'm too lazy to power on a controller I use it to browse Live Marketplace and whatnot)

( Last edited by stefanicotine; Jun 17, 2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to request notification)
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 12:42 PM

Nice setup!
Who reads this???

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 09:47 AM

20" + 20"
500 GB HD
2 GB RAM
128 MB VRAM
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Jul 1, 2007 at 09:55 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 08:20 PM

wow looked at every page of the thread. really should of been packing to go away 2moro lunch time. heres a few pics of my current 'back from uni for summer' setup, not impresive at all, will have to get a picture from my halls set up which had a Wii, LCD TV, DVD Recorder, DSLR Cam, Win 15.4" laptop, Second Photo quality printer and gamecube... in fact bugger it shall see if there on camera...

Ok current setup first:

(normaly have Win Lappy on lef hand shelf but dads been looking at cars on it downstairs)

Old Uni Set Up In Halls:

btw took these pics when it was so messy on purpose as a reminder

Shall have a better set up in september when i move into new house at uni, might have another graphics tablet, 500 GB external HDD and 2nd moniotr by then

Matt
( Last edited by NobleMatt; Jul 3, 2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: coding error)

Seattle
Aug 10, 2007, 06:00 PM

I setup my new iMac (24" 2.4 Ghz) a couple days ago and here is a picture of it.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 03:46 PM

Wonderfully minimal, Seattle. I'd probably attach external speakers myself were I in your position, but then I listen to music almost constantly.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I setup my new iMac (24" 2.4 Ghz) a couple days ago and here is a picture of it.

Nice.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 07:38 PM

I love how they show the comparison to the Dell xps in the image gallery...
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2007, 09:18 PM

Nice pic, Seattle!

Would like to hear comments from other new 24" owners, especially Extreme owners. Impressions and pics?

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 03:34 PM

Just had mine delivered today!! The 24" Extreme version! It's a screamer!

The rest of my current setup...

Speed:
My initial impressions are that it's very fast, but then I've moved up from a PowerBook, so hardly surprising. I haven't really put it through it's paces yet, but will report back when I do!

Keyboard:
I really like the new keyboard. It seems so effortless to type. My only gripe about it is that the keys are 'too' flat, in that I'm used to my Powerbook keys, which have a natural indentation which my fingers can feel, so I know I'm hitting the right key. (The Mighty Mouse is a waste of space. I much prefer my VX.)

Glass Screen:
I'm quite impressed with the screen quality, although I can see why some people will get annoyed by reflections. I don't have too many distractions behind my desk, so I don't think it will affect me much. Although there are no dead pixels (it was the first thing I checked), I have noticed a speck of dust trapped between the backlight and LCD panel - I didn't know that that was possible, but that's what I have.
( Last edited by Crouching Donkey; Aug 18, 2007 at 03:48 PM. )
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 04:59 PM

In regards to that dust speck make certain it's not a dead pixel. A "dead" pixel appears to look like a speck of dust on the screen against a light background. A "stuck" pixel is one that is "on" in a color of red, green or blue.

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 05:22 PM

Hmmm, I checked it again, having read your comments hldan. I don't think it's a dead pixel, as far as my understanding of it goes. The particle is stuck a few milimetres behind the LCD panel. Let me see if I can explain. When you focus on it, and sway your head from side to side, you can see that it stays in one place. But, during this motion, you'll actually see different pixels in front of it, which builds the image you see on screen. There is nothing wrong with the image the pixels build, as there are no 'missing' pixels from the image. But, what you still see is the 'speck' under the pixels. What do you think? Besides, Apple have a 4/5 'pixel anomalies' policy, apparently.
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2007, 07:35 PM

Seattle and Crouching Donkey, you do both understand that a neat desk is a sign of a disordered mind, don't you?

I've posted my picture elsewhere, so why not here too:

Of course that picture is about a week old and I HAVE been working on neatening things up... The iMac won't stay right there-it's on a 20" deep segment of desk, so I'm either way too close or I have to lean back with the keyboard on my lap, and either one is bad ergonomics.

I guarantee that this will be better in the not too distant future-starting with a new desk that works with the iMac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crouching Donkey View Post
Hmmm, I checked it again, having read your comments hldan. I don't think it's a dead pixel, as far as my understanding of it goes. The particle is stuck a few milimetres behind the LCD panel. Let me see if I can explain. When you focus on it, and sway your head from side to side, you can see that it stays in one place. But, during this motion, you'll actually see different pixels in front of it, which builds the image you see on screen. There is nothing wrong with the image the pixels build, as there are no 'missing' pixels from the image. But, what you still see is the 'speck' under the pixels. What do you think? Besides, Apple have a 4/5 'pixel anomalies' policy, apparently.
Hmm, that does sound a bit different. If you live near an Apple retail store I would recommend taking it there and have the genius look at it. If it's dust underneath the screen then Apple has to replace the computer since you haven't had it 2 weeks. Dust under the screen does not have to be tolerated by the customer. Also if it is a dead pixel then Apple will tell you that it is for confirmation.
I don't know why but every Apple store seems to have a different pixel policy, I think it depends on the store management. I bought a 17" Powerbook a few years back and I had 5 bad pixels on it. When I took it the Apple store the manager was working the genius bar and I told him I had some bad pixels and offered to show him all of them since 5 is the magic number to get a screen replacement. He told me not to worry, one bad pixel is covered and he had my screen replaced.
Some stores won't even take care of you unless you can show them at least 5 bad pixels. So take it the Apple store if you live nearby.

Seattle
Aug 18, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Seattle and Crouching Donkey, you do both understand that a neat desk is a sign of a disordered mind, don't you? .
The last picture was taken with my iMac on my dining room table. I have since moved my new iMac in to my office. Here is a picture of were it is now.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2007, 09:39 PM

Still too neat... Is the older iMac teaching the "young grasshopper" the ways of Mac?

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2007, 10:03 PM

Great Al/SiO2 setups. Crouching Donkey - an absolutely elegant setting for these elements. Congrats.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Seattle
Aug 18, 2007, 10:15 PM

Still too neat... Is the older iMac teaching the "young grasshopper" the ways of Mac?
Here is the other side of my office. It is pretty messy.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 11:44 PM

Here is the other side of my office. It is pretty messy.

LOL, not to mention that state of the art equipment is so 8 Track Tape.

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 03:05 AM

Seattle and Crouching Donkey, you do both understand that a neat desk is a sign of a disordered mind, don't you?
Mine's only neat for photographic purposes! Although I do have a disordered mind!

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Hmm, that does sound a bit different. If you live near an Apple retail store I would recommend taking it there and have the genius look at it. If it's dust underneath the screen then Apple has to replace the computer since you haven't had it 2 weeks. Dust under the screen does not have to be tolerated by the customer. Also if it is a dead pixel then Apple will tell you that it is for confirmation.
I don't know why but every Apple store seems to have a different pixel policy, I think it depends on the store management. I bought a 17" Powerbook a few years back and I had 5 bad pixels on it. When I took it the Apple store the manager was working the genius bar and I told him I had some bad pixels and offered to show him all of them since 5 is the magic number to get a screen replacement. He told me not to worry, one bad pixel is covered and he had my screen replaced.
Some stores won't even take care of you unless you can show them at least 5 bad pixels. So take it the Apple store if you live nearby.
I'm in Hong Kong, and as yet we don't have a bricks and mortar Apple store, only an online one. I'm not too too bothered by it, and to be honest, I'd hate to return it and have them replace it with one with two, three, four dead/stuck pixels. How many would I have to unbox before I got a perfect one?! You know what I mean?!

Originally Posted by cube-dude View Post
Great Al/SiO2 setups. Crouching Donkey - an absolutely elegant setting for these elements. Congrats.
Thank you!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 12:33 PM

The last picture was taken with my iMac on my dining room table. I have since moved my new iMac in to my office. Here is a picture of were it is now.

I might suggest getting a new table. That's the Ikea one, right? It's known to spontaneously shatter: Desk Trauma on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Crouching Donkey View Post
Mine's only neat for photographic purposes! Although I do have a disordered mind!

I'm in Hong Kong, and as yet we don't have a bricks and mortar Apple store, only an online one. I'm not too too bothered by it, and to be honest, I'd hate to return it and have them replace it with one with two, three, four dead/stuck pixels. How many would I have to unbox before I got a perfect one?! You know what I mean?!
Yeah, you do have a point. I remember when I bought my 30" Cinema Display and it had some problems and I took it back to the Apple store and they exchanged it but I asked to open it before doing the exchange. Not only did it have the same problems as my first one there was a red stuck pixel on it. The Apple employee went to the back and got another one, apparently there was a bad shipment because the second one had the same problem and it had a blue stuck pixel. They told me if they open another one and no problems I would have to keep it even it if had another stuck pixel so I just ended up getting a refund. So if you are fine with it then don't take it back, sometimes it's a crap shoot what you get.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2007, 12:50 PM

If you buy online (BTO) and there is a problem with the iMac, can you bring it to a physical Apple Store for repair or replacement or you have to deal with the online Apple Store?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jgcan View Post
If you buy online (BTO) and there is a problem with the iMac, can you bring it to a physical Apple Store for repair or replacement or you have to deal with the online Apple Store?
Take it to a brick-and-mortar Apple Store and they will help you.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2007, 08:09 PM

Take it to a brick-and-mortar Apple Store and they will help you.
Thank you for the info, waiting for my 24" 2.8 and was wondering in case something was to be wrong with it.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Aug 20, 2007, 05:15 AM

i always thought the new imac was ugly but that pic for me makes it look even worse, the black area with the screen off is too close to the edge of the imac, i know theres a white bit but it must be like a cm thick and really shows up on the 24"
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
i always thought the new imac was ugly but that pic for me makes it look even worse, the black area with the screen off is too close to the edge of the imac, i know theres a white bit but it must be like a cm thick and really shows up on the 24"
The aluminum "border" around the screen is about 4mm, and the black "mask" around the viewable part of the screen is 21mm wide on my 20" model.

I really don't get what it is you find ugly about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules