Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread

Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread (Page 4)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 12:52 PM

^ possibly due to having to spin up all attached hard drives? (that would be identical behavior as in 10.5, though)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2009, 01:18 PM

Installed SL on my mac mini. Everything seems to be working fine. Even better than Leopard.

Issues?

Well, mostly related to web development.

1. Had to reconfigure PHP. Might want to recompile PHP as well because it's missing important extensions like mcrypt and GD lib.
2. Had to install MySQL. Problem transferring old MySQL data where data tables are not in the MyISAM format. Should have exported my mysql data using mysqldump
3. Had to reinstall a bunch of PERL modules
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
^ possibly due to having to spin up all attached hard drives? (that would be identical behavior as in 10.5, though)
I leave my Firewire HDD turned off and the internal should be set to never spin down. I'll double check it when I get home...

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 12:57 PM

Definately not an issue with my HDD spinning down. Has something to do with a login or startup item (I think). I'll look into this more when I get home today.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Full Tilt Poker not working.
Appears to launch, but infinitely bounces in the dock.
It works fine for me. Try deleting the prefs.

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I did a format and install of SL and all works great except there's a pretty long (3-5 second) delay before opening file open/save dialogs.
Do you have a CD or DVD mounted at the time?
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2009, 09:36 PM

Once in a while, I ship things by Priority Mail and I print the postage labels at home through USPS.com . I have printed Priority Mail postage labels at USPS.com on a Mac using Leopard for the last almost two years. After upgrading to Snow Leopard 10.6, I can no longer print these postage labels using Safari at USPS.com . USPS.com has a System Requirements page which says:

"Browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, or Netscape Navigator 6.0 or higher… Your system may require a first-time only download of Adobe® Reader® software, Version 5 or higher."

But this browser information is obviously for Windows.

To ensure that one’s printer is on, and that Adobe Reader is installed, and the correct browser is being used, the following test page lets one know if one can print the postage labels:

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/printVe...mpleLabel=true

With 10.6, I cannot print these labels using Safari or FireFox or Camino. But Opera 10 does work to print postage at USPS.com. I've never had a problem using Safari on my Mac with Leopard 10.5. And I still have a cloned external drive running 10.5 from before the 10.6 upgrade with exactly the same specifications that still allows me to print these labels with Safari.

It seems that Safari 4 and/or 10.6 need to be tweaked to allow for postage to be printed at the USPS.com website. I'm also sure that Mac users who have eBay or other types of businesses that print a lot of postage at USPS.com are greatly affected.

decat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2009, 01:44 PM

After a clean install of SL on a blank drive, every once in a while, I'd get a Panic Attack. At the get go everything was working. I did all of my software updates including the E2p adapter drivers. However, I have since plugged in prior Leopard disk and put Snow Leopard aside. Sonnet's website indicates this add in esata adapter is dead in SL. The risk is too high that a drive will be attached and I'd lose data.
Mac Pro, Intel Tower, 9 gigs ram, lots of drive space.
The external drives plug into the e2p via esata docks; Thermaltake's BlacX with sata. Under Leopard 10.5.9 there is not a hint of trouble. Thus far I have not found an esata PCI-express card for the tower that Snow Leopard properly on. At issue is the Si3132 chip. There must be thousands of devices using this chip. I'll wait for something that works.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Once in a while, I ship things by Priority Mail and I print the postage labels at home through USPS.com . I have printed Priority Mail postage labels at USPS.com on a Mac using Leopard for the last almost two years. After upgrading to Snow Leopard 10.6, I can no longer print these postage labels using Safari at USPS.com.
I could only get that to work properly once on my Mac years ago and gave up. Not worth the trouble.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
Do you have a CD or DVD mounted at the time?
Nope. Problem seems to have cleared after a format and clean install.

OzCam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2009, 04:31 PM

Hi there,

I'm running OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM). I keep on getting this error message (this is the start of it anyway) when in the Finder, and inside my Movies folder:

Process: quicklookd [373]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/quicklookd.app/Contents/MacOS/quicklookd
Identifier: com.apple.QuickLookDaemon
Version: 2.0 (327.0)
Build Info: QuickLook-3270000~1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [244]

Date/Time: 2009-09-15 05:57:12.623 +1000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 861 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 332 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Anonymous UUID: FECBC589-6C2F-4ED8-8F0C-4D4CD7E15E3D

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xffffffffffffff9c
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Other than this, Snow Leopard is running really well for me.

Does anyone know what is causing this, and any ways to fix the issue?

Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 04:47 PM

Check for any plug-ins in The Library/QuickLook Folder in your home folder and throw them away.

OzCam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2009, 01:38 AM

I haven't got a QuickLook folder within my home folder- although there is two QuickLook folders in:

Macintosh HD -> Library -> Quicklook ->
iWork.qlgenerator
ParallelsQL.qlgenerator

and also in:

Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> QuickLook ->
Audio.qlgenerator
Clippings.qlgenerator
EPS.qlgenerator
iChat.qlgenerator
MeshKit.qlgenerator
Office.qlgenerator
Package.qlgenerator
PDF.qlgenerator
StandardBundles.qlgenerator
Text.qlgenerator
Web.qlgenerator

Thanks!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 11:10 AM

I just installed SL on my Sisters CD iMac.

After 4 straightforward installs on other machines, I had a nice trial with this one...

SL lost the application link to the 'Installer' application! All the files on the SL disk showed up not with the usual 'box' icons, but with blank document icons.

I had to manually open each installer package with the application.

I solved the issue by setting the 'use this application by default when opening these types of file' option, but it was pretty weird that it became unlinked.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
It works fine for me. Try deleting the prefs.
Thanks for the reply and tip.

It worked on one machine (c2d), but sadly not the others. Very odd, as on the original Core Duo machines, the issue persists after a reinstall and .plist/pref delete.

UBALDI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
FLIP 4 MAC WMV doesn't work anymore. I have a video on my desktop that is a .wmv and when i try to open it in snow leopard, it says "Quicktime has to be installed to play this". But of course, quicktime is installed and if i select to open the file using quicktime, it works. But trying to use Flip4Mac doesn't
Yes--the same happened to me for the last two days.
baldi

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2009, 02:53 AM

Keep reading

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2009, 04:49 PM

Ok, here's something that's definitely new for me in 10.6.x - anyone else?

After using the search box inside Open file- dialogs to find a file, apps sometimes beachball indefinitely trying to open that file. I've had this happen in Photoshop, Safari and some others, I think.

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2009, 07:03 AM

internet sharing issues on iMac 2.66 10.6.1, ethernet -> airport , drops out with no access, while iPhone, MacBook or Win7 netbook still report a wireless connection but no internet access.
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2009, 09:00 PM

I've been having some weird problems that I THOUGHT would be addressed by the recent "fix" released by Apple. But alas, my iMac is not "eligible" for the fix.

Randomly, my mouse will stop responding (if not complete non-response, it is SLOOOOOOOOW to respond). Sluggish, jerky, etc. I basically have to wait 2-3 minutes for it to become responsive again.

In addition to the above, I have come to my iMac after the screensaver had been started only to find a kernel panic. The KP has only been seen after the screensaver had been going for awhile.

I've tried swapping out RAM and I don't think it's the HD because this is a new HD. Checks out fine with Disk Utility and Disk Warrior. Have reset PRAM and repaired permissions.

I don't know what else this could be other than a random preference file or plug-in causing problems. I was so excited when I saw Apple released a "fix" for a problem that appeared identical to what I was experiencing but my iMac isn't eligible for the fix.

Any ideas?

Eugene R
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2009, 05:22 PM

Had same problem using Safari on my new Imac. Installed firefox 3.5.4 and the snow leopard capable Adobe Reader and I can print postage once again.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2009, 11:52 PM

Alright, I'm finally going to put this out there: Snow Leopard is a lot slower than Tiger for me.

Lots of spinning beach balls – when opening two apps at once, when a lot of apps are open, when scrolling. Etc. etc.

I'm running a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro. I just did a normal install over Tiger. Should I re-install?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

j.donald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2009, 05:03 AM

Handbrake 0.9.3 is broken.

Crashes on startup, deleting prefs and reinstalling doesn't help ,

pls give solutions for this problem

thx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 06:18 AM

Handbrake 0.9.4?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by j.donald View Post
Handbrake 0.9.3 is broken.

Crashes on startup, deleting prefs and reinstalling doesn't help ,

pls give solutions for this problem

thx
Seriously...

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Alright, I'm finally going to put this out there: Snow Leopard is a lot slower than Tiger for me.

Lots of spinning beach balls – when opening two apps at once, when a lot of apps are open, when scrolling. Etc. etc.

I'm running a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro. I just did a normal install over Tiger. Should I re-install?

greg
Did you do the hardware update, if applicable?

Forum Links
Forum Rules