Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 (Page 6)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
What the best anti-tank rocket?
I don't have info for their base damages, unfortunately, but I break it down like this:

LAW: Aim in the general direction and let rip – great for being a passenger in a heli
SMAW/RPG: Moves faster than the SRAW and can be used fire and forget style on both land and air vehicles
Javelin: Likely on of the most powerful as it require lock to be maintained all the way in
SRAW: Wire guided, allowing for in flight corrections, useful against infantry, difficult to use against aerial attackers

How do you know what level you have for a field upgrade?
Progress bar above squad list.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Grinded out some LMG kills, lucked into the IRNV unlock in a battlepack and I was finally able to put into action one of my Op Locker strategies – seeing through the smoke from the endless grenade spam to pick off people at the chokepoints. I didn't do crazy good, but it held serious promise.
And outside?

I don't have info for their base damages, unfortunately, but I break it down like this:

LAW: Aim in the general direction and let rip – great for being a passenger in a heli
SMAW/RPG: Moves faster than the SRAW and can be used fire and forget style on both land and air vehicles
Javelin: Likely on of the most powerful as it require lock to be maintained all the way in
SRAW: Wire guided, allowing for in flight corrections, useful against infantry, difficult to use against aerial attackers
Thankyou. As Eng, do you equip a rocket all the time? Or Stinger, or both? I got a recommendation to go the mine + M2 route.

Progress bar above squad list.
In Battlelog? You'll need a screen cap or detailed instructions for me to find this. Thanks BTW.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2013, 03:53 PM

And outside?
Why in ****s name would I be outside? Might as well call it Sniper Alley.

Thankyou. As Eng, do you equip a rocket all the time? Or Stinger, or both? I got a recommendation to go the mine + M2 route.
Almost always SRAW, then Stinger. Can't equip both.

In Battlelog? You'll need a screen cap or detailed instructions for me to find this. Thanks BTW.
In game. Progress is on a per-game basis. Your cluelessness only reinforces that the new perk system is stupid.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2013, 04:15 PM

Why in ****s name would I be outside? Might as well call it Sniper Alley.
Flanking? Lots of action outside in HC TDM.

Almost always SRAW, then Stinger. Can't equip both.
You're right, I was confused. Strange that you can equip M2 + mine.

In game. Progress is on a per-game basis. Your cluelessness only reinforces that the new perk system is stupid.
Ahhh.

Again, thanks for the explanations.

Been watching a few vids about teh Netcode. Wonder if I can use it as an excuse.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2013, 04:18 PM

Flanking? Lots of action outside in HC TDM.
The choke point nade fests don't happen in TDM, ergo, no IRNV.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2013, 05:17 PM

Soooo, it only took me until last night to figure out how toggle the red dot magnifier. (Press up on the D pad.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 01:47 PM

Double XP weekend?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 01:59 PM

Nothing on the forums I see

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 02:06 PM

I'm getting those bonus thingies at the end of a round without having chosen one from a battlepack.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2013, 06:50 PM

87 hours in, 1st Ace Squad Medal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2013, 06:57 PM

So, uh two things.
First, largest margin of victory so far

Second, yes, the AA can be a little OP, especially when no vehicles make an attempt to destroy you.

Those 23 were in a row before dying twice at the end.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2014, 10:19 AM

Predictions about what they'll nerf?

The SRR-61 - just too good.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2014, 06:38 PM

Opinions on shotguns? I am sooooo bad. Been dropped from miles away when people equip slugs.

Also, Battlepacks have been shite for me. Only ever get stuff for weapons that I never use, or stuff that I don't want. Where's my infra red for the MG4 or the M249?

And finally, I hate one map : Guilin Peaks. For TDM its shite. For Obliteration its shite. Its boring. There are no key areas. Plus, why have a great big phalus? It serves nothing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 1, 2014, 08:53 PM

SAIGA, nothing else comes close. Half-choke, TDM Dawnbreak is where I mainly use it, but it'll work in lots of CQ situations.

China Rising maps are shit, and have been ignored.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2014, 05:44 AM

Do you use the shotguns with all classes?

I really don't know how Fatty did so well on his own in Conquest. The only times that I actually enjoy myself is when joined by a clan member/squad member. Otherwise I behave like a headless chicken.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2014, 01:41 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2014, 03:32 PM

How Da Fook did M249M4A1 get the tank around the corner?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2014, 07:06 PM

SAIGA, nothing else comes close. Half-choke, TDM Dawnbreak is where I mainly use it, but it'll work in lots of CQ situations.
I'm finding the 870 with the modified choke does a good job for HC TDM. Just unlocked the Hawk. Can't wait to try your Saiga.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2014, 09:24 AM

sek, whenever you make it over to the PS4, I have a feeling the squad play is going to free you up to do your best COD impression with the M40A5.

Went on a couple 20-win streaks this weekend. But the big achievement was I accidentally earned a jet ribbon. I've been putzing around with it on Lancang Dam and I think I was helped by taking down a near-full scout heli, but I did manage to destroy a few boats, too. So far my main stategy seems to be hold the brakes for as long as possible. The down-side being a few crashes and nearly brushing the ground or water with the belly of the jet.

'Course, I got cocky and tried it on Paracel and immediately dealt with the jet version of 12-year old aimbots; Even had one dude I was half-heartedly chasing go to the length of flying in circles for over a minute to deny me getting behind him. Good I hate jets.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2014, 11:25 AM

BTW, I can't recommend the IRNV LMG combo on Op Locker highly enough. Yes, you sacrifice the ability to see outside, but inside you can see through the clouds of grenade smoke at the choke points quite easily, allowing you to pick-off opponents as they pass by the portals spamming in hopes of picking up a kill or two.

I also watched Op Locker on 360 – there's no comparison. Only a few vids but there was no choke point firefights. It was disturbing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2014, 04:11 PM

I find this a little hard to believe
https://twitter.com/Flow_Fiero/statu...11800301899777

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2014, 02:20 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2014, 11:10 AM

Only got to play a few games yesterday; Got put on a horrific terrible TDM team – the kind with blueberries who are experiencing "the wonder of FPS". You know the type: Constantly looking into the sky, shooting at teammates and objects incessantly.

Played a game with these idiots on Lancang and of course the other team gets on the roof and becomes impossible to remove, so I finally get to test the XM25 as a roof clearing machine. It works, though it taking 3-4 bursts feels a touch underpowered. Also, I was slightly surprised when the incredibly pissed off snipers started raining endless grenades on me. Still, one of the deceased came for me on the ground so it felt good that they were that P.O.ed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2014, 12:34 PM

I'll be interested to see how this nerf works.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2014, 05:46 AM

WTF do you do against someone like this?

BF4 Attack Jet 63-1 | 50k Points | Paracel Storm - YouTube

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2014, 03:57 PM

BF4 PC update tonight :

Today we are rolling out a new PC update for Battlefield 4. This patch will address several stability and balancing issues, graphical glitches, repair rate speeds, and more. You will find the full patch notes below, and as always, in the Control Room.

Jan 13 PC Game Update Notes
-Various fixes for improving general stability
-Fixed a memory leak issue occurring after level shutdowns, which could result in a out-of-memory crash in longer play sessions
-Additional fix for the “sound loop” deadlock when running High/Ultra graphics settings
-Added a warning for using Legacy AMD drivers that were out of date
-Fixed a player feedback timing issue where blood was appearing before other damage indicators, and before damage was actually done
-Fixed a bug where players’ rank icons on the scoreboard would not be updated
-Fix for Asian users unable to start Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 on Windows 8.1
-Normalized repair rates across all vehicles. Vehicles with lower health points, like aircraft and transport vehicles, now repair more slowly than before
-Fixed problem with killer health in kill card not being correctly updated (showing 100% health even though the soldier was hurt)
-Fix for friendly marker not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members
-Fixed a bug where a M1 Abrams Coaxial HMG ammo box was occasionally blocking the driver’s camera
-Increased damage by 25% for the Stealth Jet 20mm cannons.
-Stealth Jets now have more similar handling attributes to each other. F35 & J-20 are slightly more agile, Su-50 is less agile.
-Attack Jets now have more similar handling attributes to each other, and all 3 are now slightly less agile than earlier
-Fixed camera glitch when switching weapons while moving in crouch
-Fixed an occasional bug where players could experience intermittent engine sound dropouts when driving wheeled IFVs
-Fix for player spawning under the map when deploying on Lancang Dam
-Fixed flickering in map and minimap on Rogue Transmission and Operation Locker

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2014, 04:16 PM

So now that I'm back gaming on the PC, cheating rears its ugly head.

(One of the reasons that I went from PC gaming to the Xbox was due to the number of cheaters on PC. Even with Punkbuster on people could hack all they wanted).

This guy seems too good to be true :

Progression - remppis - Battlelog / Battlefield 4
remppis - BF4 Player Stats | BF4DB

I reported this guy on the 11th : xxScopezFuzionXX - BF4 Player Stats | BF4DB - he was banned yesterday.

Next time I talk about PC gaming, Dakar has permission to shout "DUMBFCUK" at me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2014, 03:10 AM

Had a game on Op Locker the other night where we just grabbed a hold of C and never let go. I got into the guard tower to start and only once had to turn to defend from the outside, before returning focus the entrance. The other team never brought the tower down, even though they snuck past once or twice to Cap D. Finally, at the end we pushed them back to B and I finally left the tower.

This was my stats at the end:

One note: In game I had zero deaths, and my clan mates were quick to point it out. I was sopping up kills with my IRNV Type-88, even though there was a guy on the turret next to me (Can't kill what you can't see)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2014, 05:07 PM

Report are the new server-side patch on PC is preventing people from spawning after dying.

Do you use the shotguns with all classes?
Just recon at the moment, as I use the tugs to get my bearings. I pretty much only used it on Dawnbreaker TDM, though I could probably pull it off on a few others. For some reason the last time I played there I wasn't digging it, but I'm in a slump this week.

Next time I talk about PC gaming, Dakar has permission to shout "DUMBFCUK" at me.
I'm not that vindictive. I'm under the impression this is a temporary situation.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2014, 06:25 PM

I'm not that vindictive. I'm under the impression this is a temporary situation.
Well the PC has to last a while. But yes, a Mac + console solution (as before) will be the choice 'next time'.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2014, 01:53 PM

So one of the big things I've been doing this iteration is playing around with sights. Given the size of maps, it seems reasonable to use ACOGs on some the weapons. However, even if I did well enough with full-autos at range with 3.4 magnification, inevitable, I'd get into CQ situations where I'd mindlessly zoom in the persons' feet or just spin and spray aimlessly, losing the battles.

My next solution was somewhat better. The introduction of 2x magnifier, in addition to the ability to flick it up and down significantly enhanced my mid-range game. Now on a map like Siege, I can go from duking it out CQ in hallways and such to more 2x precision aiming at enemy soldiers across the bridge.

With the burst fire weapons (M16, M4) however, it didn't seem quite right. On Rogue Transmission I'm mostly fighting at big ranges, but using the ACOG still gives you crazy visual recoil and means you're forced into hipfire situations in-close, which is a weaker position for a gun already in a weak position.

Now, I've been in a slump all week that magically ended last night, so it still bears further nights to see if it holds up, but my newest experiment was using the M4 with the FLIR sight (Natural 2x), with a back-up of canted iron sights. The FLIR did extremely well, giving me the base zoom I crave coupled with making soldiers stand out much easier at longer ranges. Then, one I got into tighter quarters, I flipped the canted up and had moderate success given its sometimes unwieldiness (having your old scope blocking out a chunk of your left view is probably more visually distracting than impeding, but it takes getting used to). I did mange an HVT designation using it on Flood Zone.

The big take-away from my strategies is you lose the laser sight, which is good or bad depending how you feel about it. It can be good if you find it distracting or gives you away. It can be bad because it increases hip-fire accuracy, which can be quite useful in ultraCQ situations where you just hold down the trigger and track them outside ADS, which is usually easier. I've also found that when trying to peg a moving target, aiming between the scope's dot and the lagging laser is a useful measure of bullet travel-time.

Thoughts?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2014, 09:14 AM

I think that the ACOG is shit because when you equip it on weapons that are easy to use (like the AUG for example) it suddenly makes it less easy to use. I don't know of any maps where the magnifier isn't good enough for most weapons. Don't know why, but the 4x and 3.4x scopes seem useless to me compared to BF3.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2014, 07:21 PM

On the PC, everyone cheats. Even me apparently. Accused of aimbots and wallhacking recently.

Of course what this means is that anytime someone starts to get a really good score, they get reported.

I may be back on the console sooner than planned.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2014, 10:52 AM

Waiting for Dakar to post the Buggy-Anti-Aircraft-Weapon story.

(Kotaku is banned at my work)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2014, 02:04 PM

Welp , it's official: I might be inching towards being an average jet pilot (If the bar is as low as I think it is). I finally got my third jet ribbon to unlock the UCAV. I've also managed to destroy a few vehicles in one pass with the jet's 30mms, which absolutely shred armor. I'm still worthless jet v jet, but when unspoken truces occur in the air, I can manage a few kills.

My first UCAV kill was also entertaining; Some asshole camping the tower over B/A on Paracel, flew the thing right into the wall next to him. Buddy was trying to countersnipe him and was wondering what the explosion was.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2014, 12:02 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2014, 02:09 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2014, 12:40 PM

Got kills in a stealth jet last night, enough to get a fourth jet ribbon! I'm ecstatic.

There definitely was either a tacit agreement between jets or the other jet was destroying there's because with a few exceptions, I was left alone most of the game. I did, however, make it a rule to not cross much over the halfway point of the map because their MAA was actually doing its job and attacking me with ARMs.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2014, 01:49 PM

Care to give your impressions of Commander mode Dakar?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2014, 02:31 PM

Care to give your impressions of Commander mode Dakar?
Sure.

Ultimately: Broken. It upsets game balance greatly, and completely changes the face of the game. While you want the Commander to be important, the endless UAV spamming means in certain contested areas, any strategy you use concerning perks (spot time, invisible on motion sensors) or attachments (suppressor), become completely meaningless. EMPs are mostly irritating and unidentifiable to the player – you're trying to spot someone but the triangle doesn't appear. Is he EMP'd ir os the game broken? I don't ****in' know.

Then there's the more extraneous stuff. What do Infantry and Vehicle scans do, exactly? I'm not sure. Do they put infantry and armor on the minimap permanently for the scan? Seems overpowered; But what else could they do? Then there's the Gunship. You don't need a Commander to launch it – I've played Armored Kill. The Cruise Missile is more useful and logical to be human controlled, but good luck putting it where you want on console – with the console 'snapping' to players, and Cps, it's frustrating.

Moving to game modes, while its most logical on CQs large maps, with multiple CPs giving multiple rewards to the Commander, on Rush it makes the defense completely immune (UAVs have no cool down, MCOMs are too close together) or defenseless. This of course is assuming that only one side has the Commander, which is what you see 90% of the time. It wouldn't be so bad if it had AI to at least counter the humans – in fact it should have AI running full-time on any Commander enabled server as I said, the game is significantly different without it, lop-sided otherwise.

Finally, the Commander gifts are weak. Promotion just means some points and filling the Squad perk bar. Ammo box is useful, but I'm the opinion any squad leader should be able to call one in once per life (or match), sans kit changing ability. Lightning Respawn seems useful in theory, but given the focus having shifted from infantry, less important. And the free vehicle is stupid. Give a RHIB or Van, a quad or jetski is useless.

I've probably missed a point or two of contention, but that's about the size of it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2014, 03:12 PM

Thankyou for such a breakdown. I may still give it a go. At least I can't get killed doing it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 PM

Kinda getting tired of this game. 2 maps a boring (Golmud and Transmission) and 2 have terrible rubber banding (Dam and Resort). The Second Assault won't save this (I'm sure we'll be getting 4 maps server rotations and that it) but I'll take anything at this point.

Private servers (and a working server browser) can't come soon enough.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2014, 01:02 PM

Kinda getting tired of this game. 2 maps a boring (Golmud and Transmission) and 2 have terrible rubber banding (Dam and Resort). The Second Assault won't save this (I'm sure we'll be getting 4 maps server rotations and that it) but I'll take anything at this point.

Private servers (and a working server browser) can't come soon enough.
I wondered in the Gaming News thread if it had legs. You've done more than 300 hours. I've done about half of your time and I feel the same. How many new maps can keep you interested and for how long? I reckon 4 every 2 months would be accepted by players like me - for a reasonable price of course. TDM (all I seem to be playing atm) would be easy to change, just open up new areas of the same maps. Not sure what could be done with the existing CQ maps, maybe alter the vehicle types?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 24, 2014, 01:13 PM

Part of the problem is the games are too long. I'm averaging over 20 min (25 some nights) and these aren't even close games. I really think some 32p games are what I'm looking for. For one, I can contribute more and two, hopefully they run shorter and are less cluttered.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2014, 04:10 PM

I only play 64 player games when drunk or in a sort of 'who cares' mode. Apart from the Conquest Large games, it is actually too many people.

HC TDM on Locker with 64 is funny but not fun if you know what I mean.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 24, 2014, 04:17 PM

If I had 32p CQ I'd play it.

I may do Obliteration tonight for a change.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2014, 07:43 AM

I've got nearly 20 weapons at the 98/99 kills level. Apparently if you slap on a boost and get weapons to a star, you can level up quite a bit. Trouble is, I've only got 25 and 50% boosts, so I think that I'll wait. Downside is that there are only the crappy weapons that need levelling up now : PDWs, carbines and bloody DMRs.

Stuff that I still haven't figured out (and the suggested solutions don't work either) :

How to deploy a bipod when I want to
How to quit using the mortar when I want to

Stuff that needs to be addressed ASAP :

Why in TDM you don't have at least 5 secs of spawn protection
Open up more of the existing maps for TDM
The utter uselessness of DMRs

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2014, 02:22 PM

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/01...cles&cid=19568
UPCOMING VEHICLE TWEAKS
Aircraft and Anti-Aircraft
1) Reduced the total amount of missiles carried by the Mobile Anti-Aircraft vehicles from 6 to 4. The total carried missiles were making it impossible for helicopters to use counter measures to avoid the MAA’s attacks.

2) Reduced the velocity of the MAA’s default 20MM CANNON from 1200m/s to 800m/s to match the 30MM CANNON. This reduction reduces the distance projectiles will travel and should prevent situations where the MAA could engage enemy vehicles without leaving its protected home base. The damage of the cannons remains unchanged, and aircraft, especially helicopters, should remain wary of getting too close to a MAA.

3) Reduced the physical impact of all Anti-Aircraft missiles to prevent helicopters from flipping uncontrollably when hit. The damage values have not been changed.

4) Reduced the cone in which ACTIVE RADAR missiles search for targets, making them require a higher level of skill in predicting where a target will be when the missile is fired. The missiles were previously too easy to aim at long range, making them a guaranteed hit and a clear advantage over the other missile types.

5) Increased the direct damage done by the Attack Helicopter’s gunner cannon. The gunner will be better able to assist the pilot in taking down vehicle targets with this change.

6) Increased the direct hit damage of the Zuni Rockets for Attack Helicopters. The rate of fire of these rockets combined with their smaller magazine pool made them a poor choice over the other two rocket types.

7) Reduced the splash damage and maximum splash damage range of the Scout Helicopter 25MM CANNONS. These weapons were too effective against infantry with a higher splash, making them a clear choice over the 7.62 MINIGUNS in all combat situations. The 25MM CANNONS are intended to give the Scout Helicopter some measure of effectiveness against vehicles, at a clear trade off in effectiveness vs. infantry.

Tanks and Anti-Tank
1) Reduced the “intelligence” of the MBT LAW missiles, requiring the player to aim the missile closer to their target before the smart projectile will activate. Additionally, the MBT LAW now reloads slightly slower. This keeps the MBT LAW in its role of an easy to use, fire and forget weapon available to all Engineers, while also balancing it with the other rocket launchers in favor of skilled AT shots. Finally, a bug where the MBT LAW would pass through an ACTIVE PROTECTION shield has been fixed.

2) Fixed an issue where ACTIVE PROTECTION and the MP-APS did not properly stop 12G FRAG rounds.

3) Reduced the range where the M2 SLAM will do maximum damage to vehicles from 6M to 3M. Players will now need to be craftier when placing the M2 SLAM in order to get the full damage potential of this ambush anti vehicle weapon. This change is to primarily counter a tactic of placing 3 mines in the same spot to guarantee a kill on any vehicle passing within 6m. The range was deemed to be too large, making the M2 SLAM far superior to the M15 AT MINE.

4) Reduced the damage the STAFF shell does to all targets by 25%. This should balance the ease of use of the STAFF shell with its damage potential.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2014, 03:27 PM

Good. It's about time they made adjustments the helicopters.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2014, 03:30 PM

They didn't actually do anything to their survivability. It's worthless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules