Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 37)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 4, 2024, 12:17 PM

You have Alexa in your garage?

Looking at this text input field, where would you assume you can click to activate the field and begin typing in it? Would it be mildly irritating if only this rectangle (borders inclusive) is clickable, and clicking anywhere else does nothing?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2024, 12:22 PM

Assuming this is a trick question, the X?

I do have Alexa in my garage. It’s attached, so no range problem, and that’s where I smoke, so I spend more time in there than I should.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 4, 2024, 12:29 PM

Sorry, I edited with the answer.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2024, 09:44 AM

In that same vein, if I wanted to click and drag this window somewhere else, where can I successfully click and drag it?

Why is simple UI stuff like this so incredibly hard for these giant corporations that surely spend millions per year on what have to be the most experienced UI designers in the world?

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2024, 11:52 AM

Facebook just gave me a heart attack by logging me out and saying I had the wrong password when I tried to log back in. I have 2factor auth turned on also but really thought I was hacked. I mod there also.

Turns out facebook is fucked for everyone today. Do not panic. Instagram and Threads also, from some reports. Messenger.

https://downdetector.com/status/facebook/

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2024, 10:17 PM

On an exit ramp, the sign says “Lane Ends Merge Left”…the broken white lane separator line disappears…yet people still keep going until the barrier forces them to move left. Often this happens in conflict with the people who were already in that lane. I can’t tell if it’s “oh, that sign really meant it” or “what happened to my lane?” I do know that it’s really common. I feel that this is an example of people just not paying attention to driving, like operating their deathmachine is no more challenging than sitting on the sofa and watching crappy TV reruns.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Mar 6, 2024, 11:51 PM

They know that if they merge early, someone will leapfrog them ahead down the empty lane to the barrier and then merge ahead of them.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2024, 09:07 PM

I think of that as being preemptively rude. It’s clear to me that most “drivers” got “socially promoted” out of kindergarten, because they never learned to take turns.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2024, 07:02 AM

Got the asshole parked in front of my garage ticketed. Now it’s a question of whether the tow truck nabs them before I need to get a Lyft.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2024, 09:54 AM

Well, this has fucked up today’s shoot well and good. Our actor is being polite, but is clearly not thrilled with being roped into driving duty.

I’ve been sent home to wait for the tow. If it happens soon enough I’ll meet them. If not, we cut the day short.

On top of all this, partner was so out cold this morning I needed to go to his apartment and actually go into his bedroom to wake him up. The knocking on his door and yelling his name as I walked through his apartment wasn’t enough.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2024, 11:13 AM

They left, so I get to rejoin the team!

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2024, 12:59 PM

"They left", as in drove the car away with the ticket, before the tow arrived? Or their car & ticket left with the tow truck?

Around here, tow drivers are opportunistic. They'll drop whatever they're doing to race over. Take a car hostage, and squeeze out the money.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2024, 01:42 PM

Drove away with the ticket before the tow arrived.

They were put in the tow queue once the cop issued the ticket, but the city is slow on the best of days, and today is SPD (observed) and they’re extra busy.

Thorzdad
Mar 16, 2024, 03:09 PM

Does the city itself do the towing, or is it a private contractor? Around here, it’s a private tow company.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2024, 05:18 PM

Here, the city does public and contractors do private.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2024, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here, the city does public and contractors do private.
After thinking about it awhile, I realized you meant the location, not the car ownership. The city tows on public property, and contractors tow from private property.

My initial thought was who owned the car. Call the contractors for a private car. If a police car is parked in a handicap spot, call the city to tow it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2024, 02:20 AM

Google.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 18, 2024, 02:31 AM

OK - how to get a police car towed if it parks in a handicap spot

Took several minutes to skim through the first ~100 links, but no useful results. FAQs about towing cars, how to call the cops about one, etc. Not one link with tips on getting a police car towed.

For example, calling the cops to report the illegally parked cop car, will result in the police moving the car. The tow truck never gets called. Cop car doesn't reach the impound yard, cops don't have to figure out how to pay for it. Or perform a late-night operation to spring the car.

I think it's fair to ask, when Google does not have the answer.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2024, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
no useful results
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 18, 2024, 07:10 PM

OK - how to get a police car towed if it parks in a handicap spot

Took several minutes to skim through the first ~100 links, but no useful results. FAQs about towing cars, how to call the cops about one, etc. Not one link with tips on getting a police car towed.

For example, calling the cops to report the illegally parked cop car, will result in the police moving the car. The tow truck never gets called. Cop car doesn't reach the impound yard, cops don't have to figure out how to pay for it. Or perform a late-night operation to spring the car.

I think it's fair to ask, when Google does not have the answer.
Totally fair to ask. My guess is that it boils down to:
  1. The tow company doesn't want to make enemies of the police.
  2. It's easy to say "maybe they're here for an emergency". And others in law enforcement (including lawyers) would likely side with the authorities if it was in question.
  3. They'd have to notify the cops that they've done this, otherwise they'd come back to a missing car and all hell would break loose.
  4. Their vehicles have weapons in them. They'd take their AR-15 and shotguns being in the "possession" of a third party very seriously.

All that said, I'd love to see it happen. Entitled cop, in the handicap spot (or the middle of the road, as I've seen happen), comes out to a missing car. He drops his Big Gulp™. We see it crash to the cement in slow motion as a little girl points and laughs. He pauses, wondering if he should report it or if he's going to be the butt of the joke down at the precinct for the next 6 months if word gets out.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 18, 2024, 08:59 PM

So I had to force-quit an app. macOS opens a dialog: "StupidApp quit unexpectedly. Do you wish to reopen it?"

It didn't quit unexpectedly - I fully expected it to quit when *I* force-quit it. So why does the "unexpected" nonsense come up? This error dialog should not trigger (or should have different wording) when the user initiated the quit.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2024, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Totally fair to ask. My guess is that it boils down to:
  1. The tow company doesn't want to make enemies of the police.
It's worse, they're on the same side.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...l/70052940007/

https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/10/10/t...-adams-ulrich/

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2024, 11:25 AM

Google maps will show me the name of every single street except the one I need to travel on. I have to zoom in one click further for it to actually show the street name of the only street I care about.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2024, 04:20 PM

So I had to force-quit an app. macOS opens a dialog: "StupidApp quit unexpectedly. Do you wish to reopen it?"

It didn't quit unexpectedly - I fully expected it to quit when *I* force-quit it. So why does the "unexpected" nonsense come up? This error dialog should not trigger (or should have different wording) when the user initiated the quit.
I get a text message that I missed a call any time I decline one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2024, 09:43 PM

I am setting up a new(ish) work laptop. I've been putting it off because setting things up is a PITA. So I port all the apps and fonts I need, increase the font size of everything ( ), change the default Adobe UI, shut off focussed inbox in outlook, switch to legacy outlook etc... then I join a zoom meeting a little early so I don't forget, and carry on working on other things.

Working at home I've gotten used to muttering to myself at code that doesn't work. Angrily.

Of course the new zoom has microphone on by default. WTF.

Hopefully they didn't hear me and I didn't use too many bad words....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Google.
Here’s Google’s attempt at “sort by date”.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 20, 2024, 02:53 PM

YouTube ad targeting again. I'm getting:

Ads for Plus-sized girl wear.
Ads for yachts in the $M+ range. From two different dealers.
Ads for big Chevy trucks, from multiple dealers.
Ads for some very expensive homes. They look like the $10M+ range.
Lots of drug ads, especially weight-loss drugs.

So, I must be a girl who likes big breakfasts, and is a well-heeled millionaire. Who likes the ocean (I don't live on the ocean). Not sure where the trucks fit in - the yachts are too big for street towing.
It appears my income estimation has gone up again, for YouTube ads purposes. Just got an ad for private business jet sales. They'll acquire or sell for me, the private business jet of my choice.

Now if only my income tracked with their estimates. The jets looked sweet.

andi*pandi
Mar 20, 2024, 04:16 PM

As a plus sized gal, you'll find your private jet more comfortable than buying two seats on jetblue.

Thorzdad
Mar 21, 2024, 08:33 AM

Gotta say, private jets are the way to go. Far better drink service, too.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 25, 2024, 01:42 PM

OK, maybe I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s still an irritant.

People with handicap placards or license plates…most cannot park worth shite.

For some context, my orthopedic surgeon authorized a placard for me for as-needed use. Having had the same hip replaced THREE times in a two-year period (long story), there are some days that just moving around is challenging, so it’s useful. As a matter of personal pride, I do not use it unless it is actually appropriate to do so. When I do, I make sure (as I always do) that my vehicle is inside the lines. For normal parking this is defensive; if I’m inside the lines, anybody impacting my car has to have gone outside their lines. And in general, I don’t mind parking some distance from the entrance of where I’m going - unlike the folks I see orbiting Gold’s Gym, hoping to find a really close spot to park so they can work out…yes, that’s a real thing.

So anyway, when I park anywhere, I notice where the accessible spots are, and how they’re used. And I see things.

Junior using Granny’s placard without her around, which is specifically illegal, probably doesn’t give a crap about how he parks anyway. But when Bubba Joe, the recipient of the placard, careens into a spot, he also gives zero craps about whether he covers other spaces, whether or not his humongous truck sticks out or invades the facing spot, etc. And those zones with white diagonal stripes between accessible spaces are for van ramps and wheelchair lifts, not to give Joe more area to park badly in. I won’t even get into how “accessible” Joe’s severely lifted 2500 Super Testosterone truck (which has never left pavement) might be…

Yes, I’m venting. When I see all the spaces taken up by “impolite” (because I am reserving other words for use in other contexts) individuals, and then someone has to drop off a mobility impaired person in the middle of the traffic lane because they can’t park in a designated spot, it really irritates me.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 25, 2024, 01:56 PM

Yesterday, I drove a friend into Kaiser to pick up a prescription. Used the drop-off zone near the door, then found a nearby parking spot. The drop-off zone is striped, with "NO PARKING" printed on it. Twice. Has at least 3x signs nearby saying "No Parking - Patient Drop-off Only".

While I was waiting, a young gal in a black car parked in the drop-off zone. Walked in to get something. A middle-aged gal in a white car parked in the far side of the drop-0ff zone, walked in to get something. A 3rd gal in another white car parked behind the first car, walked in to get something.

But it's all OK, because each car had a passenger who sat in the parked cars the whole time. Like holding a grocery line spot for a cheater. However, the signs didn't specify an exception for occupied cars.

Maybe they couldn't read English. When my friend came out, I had to scooch in front of the cars to pick him up. I suppose it did say "drop off", not "Pick Up Zone".

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2024, 03:28 PM

Isn’t what they were doing more akin to “standing”?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 25, 2024, 05:26 PM

More akin to King-Of-Road-ing. Around here, there are lots of people who own a share of the public roads. That's why they don't need to signal turns or lane changes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2024, 11:34 AM

Chicagoans are actually good with turn signals, but they park like dickheads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules