Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X11 WindowManager help

X11 WindowManager help
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 11:31 AM

I recently installed X11 that I got from osxgnu.org and all is fine and dandy, I ran 'fink install enlightenment' last night and let it download and compile overnight. When I woke up, everything seemed to be A-OK but now the UI has changed to the following.

So it looks as if SOME sort of window manager is overiding the Aqua one... My question is, when looking to change the UI with a theme I can't find a dir to stick the theme in nor do I have anything that would allow me to swap the theme.

Anyone out there familiar with alternate WM's that can lend a hand? Thanks.

Mac Guru

cobra7869
Mar 10, 2003, 11:40 AM

Mine looked the same way when I intalled X11. I have not played around with the GUI at all, but this just appears to be how it is.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 11:54 AM

That's not enlightenment, I'm afraid; that is (I believe) twm, the default window manager that XDarwin likes to use. My guess is that your download of enlightenment overwrote the xinitrc file that X11 was using to load quartzwm. You should be able to fix the problem (and actually start using enlightenment) by creating a new file called ".xinitrc" in your home directory, and putting the following lines into it:

xterm &
exec /sw/bin/enlightenment

Of course, I haven't had much luck getting enlightenment to work (putting "xterm &" before the exec line instead of after seems to have prevented it from crashing immediately this time, but now moving certain windows causes X11 to die... not sure if this will replicate itself next time, but I can't restart X11 until I log back out -- if I try, it doesn't even launch!) so your mileage may definitely vary. Good luck!

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
That's not enlightenment, I'm afraid; that is (I believe) twm, the default window manager that XDarwin likes to use.

Yep, that's twm alright. Beautiful, ain't she! *Shudders*

My guess is that your download of enlightenment overwrote the xinitrc file that X11 was using to load quartzwm. You should be able to fix the problem (and actually start using enlightenment) by creating a new file called ".xinitrc" in your home directory, and putting the following lines into it:

xterm &
exec /sw/bin/enlightenment

Of course, I haven't had much luck getting enlightenment to work (putting "xterm &" before the exec line instead of after seems to have prevented it from crashing immediately this time, but now moving certain windows causes X11 to die... not sure if this will replicate itself next time, but I can't restart X11 until I log back out -- if I try, it doesn't even launch!) so your mileage may definitely vary. Good luck!
That is exactly how your .xinitrc should look, and this would work just fine on a linux box. The reason E is crashing, I suspect, is tied to its heavy use of some custom graphics engines. Rasterman and Mandrake, the two principle coders, have created a bunch of custom libraries and hooks into the graphics device at both the kernel level and with X11. I have a feeling that the fink guys packaged this without really re-writing all the code that will be needed to get E to work properly under Mac OS X. I might be wrong, but that is my best guess.

suthercd
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 07:24 PM

From terminal or from an xterm window, enter "locate .xinitrc". It should be in your Home directory. You will need root access to edit it. emacs and pico are good editors included in OS X.

Type sudo pico .xinitrc. You should see the .xinitrc file. Cntrl-v is page down. The # sign comments out lines.

Any line after an exec command will not be executed.

You want to see...
#tvm &
quartz-wm &
xclock..
etc.

The ampersand returns control to the xterm window while a program is executing.

HTH

Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules