Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Missing Acrobat pdf printer when installed on Intel Mac

Missing Acrobat pdf printer when installed on Intel Mac
Freeway Fritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 12:19 PM

Hello - I just installed acrobat professional 7 on my new Macbook Pro and noticed that the pdf printer does not appear in my list of printers.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

macmike42
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 08:12 PM

Drivers must be native to your platform. You have an Intel Mac, whereas Acrobat 7 is native to PPC Mac. The application should work fine under emulation, but print drivers cannot be run under emulation.

On Windows, I'm forced to use the Adobe PDF print driver for any PDF output, but on Mac OS X you can save to a PDF from any print dialog box, without any additional drivers. You may know this already, and I realize that Adobe PDF offers more options, just suggesting an alternative.

Unfortunately, if you need the Adobe PDF driver, you will have to wait for Adobe to release an Intel native version of Acrobat, and of course pay for it again
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 08:27 PM

Hmm, when I transferred over all of my settings from my TiBook to the new MacBook Pro, it copied over my Adobe PDF printer just fine. I then re-installed Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard and everything is working fine for me.

macmike42
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Hmm, when I transferred over all of my settings from my TiBook to the new MacBook Pro, it copied over my Adobe PDF printer just fine. I then re-installed Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard and everything is working fine for me.
I'm curious, does the Adobe PDF driver actually *work*, or does it just show up as an available printer?

I was under the impression that anything that is a "plugin" (e.g. loadable code) can only run when "plugged into" an application compiled for the same architecture. So a PPC printer driver cannot be loaded into an Intel printer system under that theory. Perhaps printer drivers are treated differently, or perhaps the Adobe PDF driver is somehow "special" (AFAIK it just forwards PostScript to Distiller).

If the driver actually works, then my above post is obviously totally wrong, and if so, a workaround for Mr. Fritz may be available.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by macmike42
I'm curious, does the Adobe PDF driver actually *work*, or does it just show up as an available printer?
Yes, I just PDF'd this thread in a few seconds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules