Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Create new Theming forum? Please vote.

Create new Theming forum? Please vote.
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2002, 06:41 PM

Since this affects the readers of this forum as well, I'm just posting a link to the poll here also. I want to make sure that both positive and negative opinions are expressed so we're sure of the decision.

Please vote here.

Thanks!
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2002, 11:08 PM

And please let also all the threads with the cool desktop pics go there.

-

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 03:47 AM

Yes, just so I don't have to see all those damn threads about theming all the time.

TC
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
Yes, just so I don't have to see all those damn threads about theming all the time.
Hallelujah brother!
Nothing to see, move along.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 09:46 AM

For a new forum to work, I think it's *critical* that it be called something like "GUI Customization and Modification", so it covers not just theming, but desktop pictures, icon creation, dock mods, etc.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
Just don't click on it then?

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Appleman:

Just don't click on it then?
Really? I hadn't thought of that

First, many of the theme topics are "check this out", "what do you think of this" descriptive nonsense.

Also, why clutter other forums and have to filter out all the theme stuff? Just give them their own place to go nuts.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
For a new forum to work, I think it's *critical* that it be called something like "GUI Customization and Modification", so it covers not just theming, but desktop pictures, icon creation, dock mods, etc.
I don't agree; I think once you expand it to include run-of-the-mill stuff like icons and desktop pics, you overlap much of what is already talked about on OS X GD. People start getting confused about where to post things, or simply end up posting to GD anyway because "nobody reads" the smaller forum. GUI mods are a huge part of using OS X; a new forum on these lines would render the current one largely redundant.

If theming is so important that it really justifies another forum, it should be just about writing and drawing themes, not icons or programs that let you run screensavers as your desktop or this or that latest menubar tweak. It wouldn't be high traffic, but it's not supposed to: it would be a place where a small group would exchange information of interest only to them.

Personally the theming threads in the current forum don't bother me, and I don't really see the need for a new forum.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

TC
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
GUI mods are a huge part of using OS X; a new forum on these lines would render the current one largely redundant.
The fact that they are a huge part of using OS X is exactly why they should get their own forum. If you're into that kind stuff you can fill your boots in your own forum area. If you're not then you don't have to put up with the huge number of posts on the subject getting in the way.

If someone did want info on GUI Mods they would know they have to go straight to that forum instead of looking throught general discussion and third party software where they seem to get spread at the moment.
Nothing to see, move along.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by TC:
The fact that they are a huge part of using OS X...
Hmmm, last time I checked, they weren't part of OS X at all (aside from the Blue/Graphite Appearance option). I seem to be able to "use" OS X just fine w/o them, in fact, I hear nothing but problems with them on every update.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

I don't agree; I think once you expand it to include run-of-the-mill stuff like icons and desktop pics, you overlap much of what is already talked about on OS X GD. People start getting confused about where to post things, or simply end up posting to GD anyway because "nobody reads" the smaller forum. GUI mods are a huge part of using OS X; a new forum on these lines would render the current one largely redundant.

If theming is so important that it really justifies another forum, it should be just about writing and drawing themes, not icons or programs that let you run screensavers as your desktop or this or that latest menubar tweak. It wouldn't be high traffic, but it's not supposed to: it would be a place where a small group would exchange information of interest only to them.

Personally the theming threads in the current forum don't bother me, and I don't really see the need for a new forum.
Fair enough, then perhaps "OS X" should be limited to discussion of the OS software itself, not as a catchall? That way, everything else would fit nicely to "OS X Software" and "Theming" forums

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Dec 24, 2002, 03:04 PM

Right now it's a general customization forum; it's more of an experiment than anything else, since the overwhelming majority wanted it. It's very easy to merge stuff back together, so if it ends up sucking, we'll just merge customization and software back into the old layout.

Right now, it DOES cover stuff like icon sets, themes, etc. This forum will end up covering general discussion, support, rumors, etc. I don't think it's that redundant - at least in theory.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules