Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Safari is messing with my website!!!!!

Safari is messing with my website!!!!!
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 23, 2003, 09:55 PM

I just released a new design for my website yet ever since upgrading to v74 of Safari, if I load my site it renders as HTML Source code rather than rendering the code. This only happens once and after a refresh is non-existent until I either close the window or quit safari.

It's only a bug on the first load of any given page in my site, when opened in a new window.

Could anyone verify this with thier browser and or tell me if there's something in my source that is causing this?

here's a pic for reference:

Thanks
Mac Guru

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2003, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:

Could anyone verify this with thier browser and or tell me if there's something in my source that is causing this?

Thanks
Mac Guru
Works fine here.

aoptic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2003, 03:42 AM

I saw your work impressive .. you have nice talent.. but try using XHTML 1.1 it is the standard it will make your sites faster on load. TABLES?!?! Check out CSS & CSS2
--aoptic

bojangles
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 09:27 AM

I love using CSS1/CSS2, but Internet Explorer never renders them quite right. Thanks to Mi�ro$oft, tables is still the only way to go for true cross-browser compatibility.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

aoptic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2003, 10:37 AM

XHTML 1.1 is a standerd I know IE is a dominate browser but they will have to impliment the standerd within time .. think of the future and screw M$ ... I am second a web designer and first a Programmer. As a programmer I love standerds and hate ideas like C# Objective-C no office Apple ... standerd C and C++ are a standerd period
--aoptic

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 03:36 PM

I ended up fixing it, I changed the following in the header.

Code:
~?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?~ ~!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"~ ~html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en"~
Problem dissapeared. Thanks for all the help, unfortunatly the majority of my audience is Safari and Internet Explorer, so since IE is a large chunk, I have to bow down to it's stupid rendering habits.

Thanks though.

Edit: ~'s added because the <'s made it invisible.

Mac Guru

bojangles
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 07:06 AM

Edit: ~'s added because the <'s made it invisible.
Just use &amp;lt; (less than) and &amp;gt; (greater than). It’ll show up just fine:

eg. &lt;html&gt;
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

bojangles
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 07:16 AM

XHTML 1.1 is a standerd I know IE is a dominate browser but they will have to impliment the standerd within time .. think of the future and screw M$ ... I am second a web designer and first a Programmer.
I know what you mean, aoptic, On my personal web site, it’s XHTML 1.1 and CSS all the way. Unfortunately, as a professional web designer, I have to consider the needs of my employer, and those needs—right or wrong—include support for MSIE. (It’s still XHTML 1.1 Transitional, mind you; just a lot more tables and a lot fewer layers than I’d prefer.)
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules