Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OWC SSD Firmware

OWC SSD Firmware
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2014, 06:06 PM

I have a 2009 Macbook (6,1) and tried to update the firmware of my OWC SSD Mercury Electra 6G but it keeps failing due to the firmware being corrupted.

OWC had me repair permissions, reset the PRAM and the SMC controller but it still fails when trying to apply the update. I am running 10.9.2 but does that matter since you boot to linux on the cd or usb stick to do the update.

They suggested I take the drive out and mail it to them to update or pull it and hook it to another computer do the update.

What else can I do to try and get this to work on my Macbook?

akent35
Banned
Apr 5, 2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
I have a 2009 Macbook (6,1) and tried to update the firmware of my OWC SSD Mercury Electra 6G but it keeps failing due to the firmware being corrupted.

OWC had me repair permissions, reset the PRAM and the SMC controller but it still fails when trying to apply the update. I am running 10.9.2 but does that matter since you boot to linux on the cd or usb stick to do the update.

They suggested I take the drive out and mail it to them to update or pull it and hook it to another computer do the update.

What else can I do to try and get this to work on my Macbook?
I don't have an OWC SSD drive, so the information I am providing is just my best "analysis/guess".

I did a google search for the firmware updater for your drive, and one of the links was this one from OWC:

OWC Mercury SSD Firmware Updater via USB Drive or CD/DVD Disc

Based on the instructions that are on that page, there is nothing to indicate that one boots to linux (unless that is what happens when one selects the USB icon labeled "EFI Boot").

Do you happen to own TechTool Pro, or Disk Warrior? You could use one of those to check out your drive. (TechTool Pro is a little easier to use, but Disk Warrior, if the drive needs to be repaired, can do wonders).

Again, not sure if this helps, but good luck!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2014, 08:31 PM

So you've burned the updater to a CD, are booting from that and running the firmware updater as instructed, but the update fails due to "corrupt firmware"?

That's odd, but it doesn't sound like there's anything you can do about it except try in a different computer, as they suggest.

The contents of the drive itself should be completely irrelevant to the controller firmware.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2014, 08:34 AM

Yes, it boots to Linux. When I looked at the files on the usb drive it uses some form of Ubuntu to apply the update.

I bought the Macbook used from Mac of All Trades a few weeks back. it it possible it is missing a past EFI firmware update? How can I check? Nothing comes up in software update but that is all I can think it could be?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2014, 08:57 AM

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

So when you run the firmware updater within Ubuntu to apply the update, it fails and gives an error message that the firmware is corrupted?

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2014, 09:01 AM

Thanks, I looked and there are no updates available.

Yes, it boots to Linux after you pick the name of your Mac (Macbook 6,1) and then boots to Linux. When it starts to read the new firmware it says it is corrupted.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2014, 10:19 AM

Are you booting from CD? USB? Try creating another boot medium — you're not posting the exact wording, so it's possible the installer is actually telling you that the firmware on the updater medium is corrupted, in which case, reburning the installer image to another CD or onto another USB stick may fix the problem.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2014, 11:06 AM

Yes I booted from the USB stick supplied by OWC and from the cd I burned from the disc image downloaded from their site. Same outcome.

akent35
Banned
Apr 6, 2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks, I looked and there are no updates available.

Yes, it boots to Linux after you pick the name of your Mac (Macbook 6,1) and then boots to Linux. When it starts to read the new firmware it says it is corrupted.
What is perplexing at this point is which firmware is corrupted. Is it the Macbook itself, or the OWC SSD Drive? Since you booted from the USB stick supplied by OWC, that should eliminate any issues with the firmware updater being on that USB stick.

If the firmware corruption is due to the Macbook, then yes, you should be able to do the update via another piece of hardware, most likely another computer that has no firmware issues. If, though, the firmware corruption is on the SSD drive, then you might be out of luck trying to update it at all.

The other important thing is to make sure you have a good, "virgin" back up of everything on the SSD. Time Machine, of course, can provide periodic backups for you. Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner each make an exact copy of what is on the drive at the time you do the backup.
( Last edited by akent35; Apr 6, 2014 at 01:59 PM. )

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2014, 04:26 PM

I installed Tech Tool Pro 7 and it found no errors. The smart test passed so I am officially stumped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules