Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to hide the old OS9 HD icons from the wife

How to hide the old OS9 HD icons from the wife
Back-to-Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 03:50 PM

A friend asked me today if it is possible to hide the OS9 standard hard drive icons on his desktop (he doesn't wish his wife to see the new 120Gb drive he's bought). I have never needed to do this myself so I wondered if anyone out there knows how to hide the HD icon from the wife!

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 05:03 PM

I don't know how to make it completely invisible (so the system doesn't even see it), but a crude way would be to paste in an "empty" graphic and put spaces in the name, but that would have to be done on a white background and might still be found. If the wife isn't that computer-literate and she doesn't use the computer alot he could paste in a folder icon and say it's just a folder

Back-to-Mac  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Jacke:
I don't know how to make it completely invisible (so the system doesn't even see it), but a crude way would be to paste in an "empty" graphic and put spaces in the name, but that would have to be done on a white background and might still be found. If the wife isn't that computer-literate and she doesn't use the computer alot he could paste in a folder icon and say it's just a folder
Cheers. I'll pass on the information to him. I hope it works as it could come down to the 120Gb HD or the wife. I suppose with winter approaching, he's better with the wife to keep him warm at night.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Back-to-Mac:
Cheers. I'll pass on the information to him. I hope it works as it could come down to the 120Gb HD or the wife. I suppose with winter approaching, he's better with the wife to keep him warm at night.
Wow! I hope the drive is internal! Or she's blind and doesn't look around on the *actual* desktop too much.

There is also some shareware that enables you to hide things. It's been so long since I've used 9 - a search on versiontracker should turn up some things.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2003, 05:11 AM

In OSX if you name a drive with a "." it should be invisable, like .Macintosh HD

Back-to-Mac  (op)
Oct 23, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by oscar:
In OSX if you name a drive with a "." it should be invisable, like .Macintosh HD
Cheers. I'll pass on the info to him.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 07:34 AM

Wouldn't the drive appear in dialogs and other finder related things? If she clicks near it, it will show the files on it.

He better be prepared to come clean. She will find out about it sooner or later.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 05:49 PM

Just unmount the drive when he's not using it. And make sure it doesn't mount automatically at startup. That should work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules