Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Michael Schiavo Backs Kaine for Va. Gov.

Michael Schiavo Backs Kaine for Va. Gov.
art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 02:45 PM

Who actually cares what he thinks? His plight has passed and now so must his limelight.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 3, 2005
Filed at 1:29 p.m. ET

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Michael Schiavo, who was at the center of a passionate national end-of-life debate over his brain-damaged wife, Terri, endorsed Democrat Tim Kaine for governor Wednesday.

Schiavo based his endorsement on responses from Kaine and Republican Jerry Kilgore during their Oct. 9 televised debate when asked if governors should intervene in disputes within families over discontinuing life support for a loved one.

''I have seen firsthand what can happen when a governor disagrees with a single citizen. In Florida, Gov. Jeb Bush abused the power of his office in an attempt to replace my personal family decisions with his own opinions and political grandstanding,'' Schiavo wrote in a statement distributed by a Democratic consulting firm.

Conservatives vilified Schiavo for ordering the removal of the feeding tube that had sustained his wife for 15 years. In the resulting legal and ideological conflict, Congress, Jeb Bush and his brother, President Bush, all sought to have the tube reinserted. Terri Schiavo died March 31 after the tube was disconnected.

During the debate, Kilgore said he is ''not going to agree to the forced starvation of any individual if that individual hasn't had a say.'' He said he would urge people to put their end-of-life wishes in medical directives.

''I don't think governors should use their PR grandstanding to intervene in these cases,'' Kaine replied, adding that disputes should be settled in the privacy of courts.

Kilgore's campaign declined to comment; Kaine campaign spokesman Mo Elleithee was unaware of Schiavo's letter.

Schiavo, who lives in Florida, was not available for comment Wednesday, said Derek Newton, manager of the Miami-based November Group consulting firm that released the statement.

''Michael issued the statement because he is interested in getting more involved in the political process,'' Newton said.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
Who actually cares what he thinks? His plight has passed and now so must his limelight.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 3, 2005
Filed at 1:29 p.m. ET

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Michael Schiavo, who was at the center of a passionate national end-of-life debate over his brain-damaged wife, Terri, endorsed Democrat Tim Kaine for governor Wednesday.

Schiavo based his endorsement on responses from Kaine and Republican Jerry Kilgore during their Oct. 9 televised debate when asked if governors should intervene in disputes within families over discontinuing life support for a loved one.

''I have seen firsthand what can happen when a governor disagrees with a single citizen. In Florida, Gov. Jeb Bush abused the power of his office in an attempt to replace my personal family decisions with his own opinions and political grandstanding,'' Schiavo wrote in a statement distributed by a Democratic consulting firm.

Conservatives vilified Schiavo for ordering the removal of the feeding tube that had sustained his wife for 15 years. In the resulting legal and ideological conflict, Congress, Jeb Bush and his brother, President Bush, all sought to have the tube reinserted. Terri Schiavo died March 31 after the tube was disconnected.

During the debate, Kilgore said he is ''not going to agree to the forced starvation of any individual if that individual hasn't had a say.'' He said he would urge people to put their end-of-life wishes in medical directives.

''I don't think governors should use their PR grandstanding to intervene in these cases,'' Kaine replied, adding that disputes should be settled in the privacy of courts.

Kilgore's campaign declined to comment; Kaine campaign spokesman Mo Elleithee was unaware of Schiavo's letter.

Schiavo, who lives in Florida, was not available for comment Wednesday, said Derek Newton, manager of the Miami-based November Group consulting firm that released the statement.

''Michael issued the statement because he is interested in getting more involved in the political process,'' Newton said.
So, what is your problem with Schiavo now?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 04:09 PM

But who is Terry backing? I hear she's still fine.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 06:59 PM

I have no problem with him, never did. I also don't care who he endorses. Why would I?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 07:01 PM

I have no problem with him, never did. I also don't care who he endorses. Why would I?

So what was the purpose of your post? Just a rant about the media?

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 07:04 PM

Well it does appear they had a few barrels of ink to burn. C'mon, why would the nation care about his endorsement?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 07:17 PM

Well it does appear they had a few barrels of ink to burn. C'mon, why would the nation care about his endorsement?
Probably because its good enough to post on a political forum online.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Probably because its good enough to post on a political forum online.
For comedic value perhaps.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

God knows this place isn't focused on serious discussion.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2005, 09:40 PM

Never has been.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 12:14 PM

"Dim" Tim Kaine was a lousy mayor of Richmond, VA while crime went up, school performance went down etc. he was known in the Richmond area so Gov. Warner had him be the 2nd in charge. he's been caught saying he's for abortion in the northern part of the state and against it in the lower and western part of the state. His big issue/problem has been with the death penalty, which he's against, but when a jury hands down a legal death sentence he said he wouldn't abide, so his oath of office was questioned, and he's been spinning it , and changing his story every few weeks. He's a slime bucket IMHO. I HATE his smarmy ad's too.

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2005, 09:32 PM

so the Democrat has an endorcement of a murderer. ... thats news?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by IceBreaker
so the Democrat has an endorcement of a murderer. ... thats news?

Could you provide a little more substance to your post? Why do you think Michael Schiavo is a murderer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules