Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple Pro Speakers and the Intel Mac Mini

Apple Pro Speakers and the Intel Mac Mini
zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2006, 10:52 AM

Is it just me or does the apple pro speakers not fit in the audio ports of the intel mac mini? I'd hate to buy new speakers when the apple pro ones have served me so well.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

zizban  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2006, 11:32 AM

And the answer is, they work on the towers...bummer.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:05 PM

you can get the Griffin iFire to keep using your Pro speakers, but for the cost of the iFire you could probably get a new, better set of speakers.

edit: and, looking for it again, it looks like they may have discontinued it. you could probably find one used if you have your heart set on keeping the Pro speakers.

"I start fires!"

joe
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:43 PM

The Griffin iFire is amazing! I bought mine for the same reason - to use the Apple Pro Speakers from my G4 Tower on my new (used) G5 Tower. I lucked out and bought my iFirel just before they disappeared from dealer shelves. The only downside I can think of for a Mini / iFire setup is that it will occupy the only available Firewire port.

Does anyone know why Griffin discountinued the iFire? It seems like there would be quite a demand for this product. From what I've read it even works with FW based iPods.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 03:25 PM

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2006, 03:30 PM

The Apple pro speakers are "digital" (whatever the hell that means to a speaker) and only work with powermacs/imacs that have that exact ports. Apple went back to a standard output port (headphone or line-out) after using it for about two years.

Apple sure likes using stupid standards. ADC, digi-speakers, non-standard VGA connectors... I'm sure there are more. It's fine to use an connector exclusively, but to use them for such a short time only to drop them is stupid and costs the users money because they have to upgrade and replace their accessories and such more frequently than necessary.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules