Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Okay, I bit the bullet

Okay, I bit the bullet
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 03:58 PM

I'm with ATT now. I caved in and got a 16 gig iPhone. Sweet little thing. Now I don't have to carry an iPod touch and a cell phone around.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 04:24 PM

Congrats. You'll be happy with it.

Do you have 3G in NPN ?

-t

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 04:30 PM

Despite its little bugs, I really like mine and can't imagine going back. I'm obsessed with apps. . .

Enjoy!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 05:13 PM

Congrats, you're going to have no life for the next couple of days!

I also can't imagine going back to any other phone.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Congrats. You'll be happy with it.

Do you have 3G in NPN ?

-t
Oh yeah, max 3G signal everywhere. I'm actually in Seaford, off 17 and I got it max in my house right now. Pretty nice.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Congrats, you're going to have no life for the next couple of days!

I also can't imagine going back to any other phone.
Yeah, it's pretty sweet little piece of Microsoft engineering. Thanks Rashid!

This thing has taken over me.

Bearsfan34
Nov 1, 2008, 02:18 AM

Sometimes I see my contemporaries walking around with a RAZR or some Samsung-type handset and a nano or iPod 5G and wonder what it'd be like to have to carry both around every day all day...

...and then am thankful my job provided me with an iPhone. I'm grateful for 3G, I can use it at home & not hog the family wifi bandwidth. We've ditched our land-based line & just use iPhones now (one 3G, one original "jailbroken"/unlocked). No turning back.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

PaperNotes
Nov 1, 2008, 05:59 AM

I toyed around with a T-Mobile G1 Google phone yesterday and thought it was better than the iPhone except that it lacks multitouch if you like that, otherwise the G1 was pretty close to the perfect smartphone PDA and makes netbooks redundant too.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:25 AM. )

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 06:07 AM

I played around with an HTC handset at the Alltel store one day. Talk about flimsy. And how long do you think those sliding keyboards will last?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I toyed around with a T-Mobile G1 Google phone yesterday and thought it was better than the iPhone except that it lacks multitouch if you like that, otherwise the G1 was pretty close to the perfect smartphone PDA and makes netbooks redundant too.
You didn't really play around with the MP3 player, right ?

The G1 might be a great smartphone, but a MP3 player, it's not.

-t

PaperNotes
Nov 1, 2008, 12:37 PM

I didn't test everything but bear in mind that Android will have lots of mp3 apps as it is an open platform.

I tested

Google Maps Street View (very nice except the mobile version uses low res photos)
Downloading an app over 3G (fast!)
GPS (immediate location fix)
The browser (very fast but Chrome will come too)
Keyboard (wish it had more travel but still very responsive and accurate, strong slider mechanism)
Android OS (like a desktop OS and very responsive)
Camera (3MPixel but no flash BOO!)
Weight and feel (very solid and lovely rubberised black!)
A song recognition app (it listened to the song playing in the store and recognised it right away and offered online links to YouTube and Amazon Store!)

I do believe Android will be the most used mobile OS in coming years. The G1 is a very good start.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 12:43 PM

Well, for me, the iPhones "iPod" (mp3 player) functionality was crucial for the switch, since I wanted to combine my iPod and my cell phone.

So as long as the G1 lacks a strong media player (audio and! video), it think it's just another really smart smart phone.

-t

PaperNotes
Nov 1, 2008, 01:07 PM

Well, for me, the iPhones "iPod" (mp3 player) functionality was crucial for the switch, since I wanted to combine my iPod and my cell phone.

So as long as the G1 lacks a strong media player (audio and! video), it think it's just another really smart smart phone.

-t
The iPhone's iPod/iTunes is a strong point but when it comes to video playback the Android OS will support players like VLC much easier than the iPhone OS can because a video playback app will be able to access Android's file system just like a desktop app can access a file manager, as well as support more playback formats such as Xvid and DiVX without converting them in iTunes. VLC is being ported to the iPhone but problems abound for the developer.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 02:14 PM

Well, like I said. The phone is flimsy. I can't see having to slide the screen up to type every time. And how do you type in to the keyboard when you are on the phone and you have to type your social or zip code or something? You have to slide the screen up and down the whole conversation?

And the phone has a better digital camera than the iPhone, but other than that, I didn't see anything on the list that was compelling. Plus, TMobile is the only GSM carrier on the planet to use that certain technology or baseband something to get 3G data. I was kinda leary about that.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 02:48 PM

-t
I was just thinking yesterday that the 3G iPhone comes as close to being the perfect pda as there has ever been, imho.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I was just thinking yesterday that the 3G iPhone comes as close to being the perfect pda as there has ever been, imho.
I agree. It's not perfect, but it's near darn close to being perfect.

-t

PaperNotes
Nov 2, 2008, 08:51 AM

Well, like I said. The phone is flimsy.
You either played with a fake demo model or being a ridiculous iPhone fanboi. The G1 is remarkably solid and the rubberised texture gives it a very good grip too. The software was very smooth and didn't suffer from any of the random GUI jerkiness of the iPhone.

And your opinion that the iPhone is close to the perfect PDA is ridiculous fanboi predictability. Keyboard input is slower than many devices with a hard keyboard, I can even T9 entry faster than I can type on an iPhone. The iPhone has no copy/paste, has no way that apps can open and save files to a file system, has no way to share files easily over wifi or bluetooth without third party help, has no voice navigation, has no way to easily copy files to and from the device with a computer, low res camera, no camera flash, crashy browser, etc etc etc

You call that close to perfect?

It's a multimedia mobile phone, not a smartphone PDA. The G1 is also at the moment a multimedia mobile phone but is more open to fixing some of the problems above than the iPhone is with its draconian closed system.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2008, 12:55 PM

And your opinion that the iPhone is close to the perfect PDA is ridiculous fanboi predictability. Keyboard input is slower than many devices with a hard keyboard, I can even T9 entry faster than I can type on an iPhone.
Dude, maybe you are the problem ?

The iPhone has no copy/paste, has no way that apps can open and save files to a file system, has no way to share files easily over wifi or bluetooth without third party help, has no voice navigation, has no way to easily copy files to and from the device with a computer, low res camera, no camera flash, crashy browser, etc etc etc.
Yes, we've heard them all. Guess what, it doesn't matter. All the items you list are minor details, that *most* people don't bother with.

And the stupid "I want to edit my files on my phone" argument is really starting to bother me.
It's so retarded to think you can get some real work done on a phone. Everyone who needs something serious done turn to a laptop anyways. A smartphone would always just be a band aid.

-t

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 02:12 PM

You either played with a fake demo model or being a ridiculous iPhone fanboi. The G1 is remarkably solid and the rubberised texture gives it a very good grip too. The software was very smooth and didn't suffer from any of the random GUI jerkiness of the iPhone.

And your opinion that the iPhone is close to the perfect PDA is ridiculous fanboi predictability. Keyboard input is slower than many devices with a hard keyboard, I can even T9 entry faster than I can type on an iPhone. The iPhone has no copy/paste, has no way that apps can open and save files to a file system, has no way to share files easily over wifi or bluetooth without third party help, has no voice navigation, has no way to easily copy files to and from the device with a computer, low res camera, no camera flash, crashy browser, etc etc etc

You call that close to perfect?

It's a multimedia mobile phone, not a smartphone PDA. The G1 is also at the moment a multimedia mobile phone but is more open to fixing some of the problems above than the iPhone is with its draconian closed system.
Well, I think you're being an G1 fanboi for worshipping a phone that's only been out for a few weeks.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2008, 02:50 PM

Well, I think you're being an G1 fanboi for worshipping a phone that's only been out for a few weeks.
Is this unlike all those recent apple converts who sacrificed to their newest goddess, the iPhone, after it had been out for only a few days?

ctt1wbw, after a few days I'm sure you're loving your new phone. Don't worry about your ATT contract. Keep in mind ATT can't be THE WORST out there. After all, it did successfully land the iPhone contract.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 03:18 PM

Well, I wanted a new iPhone since the 3G version came out. And this is the second time I've been with ATT Wireless. The first was back in the mid 90's when it was out, and then when I was with Cingular for a week or so and couldn't get a cell phone signal to save my life. Now I have max 3G signal even in my bathroom.

And I've been using cell phones since before the Motorola Startac came out. I've used many other different pda's out there, including Winblows Mobile. Trust me when I say this, the iPhone is the best I've ever used.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2008, 05:30 PM

<deleted>

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2008, 08:50 PM

I can type faster on my iPhone AND more accurately than on a Blackberry with full QWERTY, so the problem definitely lies with the user if typing is slow.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2008, 05:07 PM

Re: the G1.

Can it even do Exchange email?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2008, 07:25 PM

The G1 cannot do exchange as push email; it can only do push contacts.

As such, it is still not a worthy business PDA.

If the head of Google were not on the Apple Board of Directors, there is no way the G1 would be even competitive. I'm still surprised Jobs lets this happen.

As such, Apple has about a 2 year head start with the iPhone, and that means the App store.

I want the G1 to succeed so Apple keeps innovating; otherwise, we'll be stuck with Apple's 'You don't need Firewire'-type mentality in some future form of the iPhone.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
The G1 cannot do exchange as push email; it can only do push contacts.

As such, it is still not a worthy business PDA.

Yep. I can't believe they missed that boat entirely.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Forum Links
Forum Rules