Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple's Shady Rebate Scheme

Apple's Shady Rebate Scheme (Page 2)
ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dru View Post
I smell a troll.

They offered to "make it right" via a refund. You declined it because you didn't want to be embarrassed for being a cheap bastard with your mom's "expensive" X-Mas present. That's not Apple's problem.

You filled out the rebate. Never mind what you think you heard, if it's not in writing via that form or any rebate form and controlling conditions, you should have questioned it immediately. Instead, you applied and hoped to "get away with it" and have the "nice gift" cred with mom.

You did not specifically address the alleged employee who told you this incorrect information--did you alert the store? If this person was routinely giving out false information to customers, the store needed to know in a timely manner. It would know of other complaints about this employee.

Rebates and so forth are always handled by separate entities.

There's no shady Apple conspiracy / scam / scheme here.

I looked into the rebate before I made my purchase and it was clear I was not eligible (not in school), I did not buy an iPod and try to participate in the rebate. How you filled out the form and didn't notice this for yourself is beyond me.

They tried to "make it right" despite your lack of evidence and since you didn't want to look bad to mom by taking back her gift, suck it up. The problem was you, and your handling the situation and not Apple's.
Are you mentally deficient?

1) I was offered the rebate.
2) I took it up on good faith that I was being sold something that was applicable to me.
3) I noticed when I got home to fill in the form online that it was a "Back To School" offer.
4) I returned to the store to query it and was told I would still be eligible.

Did I not make it clear that I would purchase another identical iPod if Apple took the device back? Thus proving that money was never the issue.

I was not aware of the rebate before purchasing. If I had researched it beforehand, I would have corrected the sales representative when it was mistakenly offered to me. If someone offers you a massive discount on a product (which you were going to buy regardless) on the spot and assures you that you will get said discount, would you not accept it?

Your post supports Apple's behaviour of being deceptive. I also made no claims that Apple sets out to do this intentionally, the sales person was obviously misinformed and in the wrong. Perhaps you should read all of the posts before making brash comments.

You make it sound like everyone knows rebates are handled by a third party. Why should that be the case?

It's absolutely incredible how easy of a target people like you are. Apple broke the law in this instance and yet you still find fault with the victim. You must get walked all over in life.
( Last edited by ShALLaX; Feb 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM. )

Pistolpl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 12:31 PM

I, for one, can vouch that I had an Apple Store employee tell me that this promotion was not only for students.

Back last fall, when the promotion was going on, my wife and I stopped into our local Apple Store to look at the MacBooks. Without prompting from us, the salesperson told us "that it was a great time to get a MacBook", because if we bought one during the Back-To-School Promotion, we would not only get the free iPod Touch or Classic (after rebate), but we'd also get a free all-in-one-printer.

There was no stipulation of showing a student ID... it was just told to us that we would be able to get the bonuses.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by makemineamac View Post
I don't believe all the intricacies of this story either.

It's was called the Back to School promo for God's sake. I just think you thought you could get around it _(many, many others have tried you know), and you got checked at the door. Too bad....

It is unfortunate, but they did offer a refund, you could have bought another iPod Touch for your mother and returned the originals. Did you ever talk to the Store Manager?
Yes, I spoke with the manager.

Again, as already stated in my original post, if I was indeed trying to "get around it", as you so eloquently put, would I also not have claimed the student discount on the MacBook itself?

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 01:03 PM

Funny. I checked the rebate website... without doing a thing, my claim status has changed to:

"Thank you. Your record has been located. Details below:-

Your claim has been approved on 30.01.09 and is scheduled for immediate payment.

Payment will be issued in the amount of 95 GBP by cheque."

(No, it wasn't like that yesterday, despite the date indicated.)
( Last edited by ShALLaX; Feb 2, 2009 at 01:10 PM. )

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2009, 02:44 PM

The fanboyism displayed in this thread is unbelievable. In true MNN form, a person who got screwed up an inept sales person comes in with a completely believable story and is called a troll, a "cheap bastard" (really, is that necessary?) and told to "suck it up". Really. Calling the guy a liar? Brilliant.

Glad it worked out for you, Shallax.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
The fanboyism displayed in this thread is unbelievable. In true MNN form, a person who got screwed up an inept sales person comes in with a completely believable story and is called a troll, a "cheap bastard" (really, is that necessary?) and told to "suck it up". Really. Calling the guy a liar? Brilliant.

Glad it worked out for you, Shallax.
Thank you for your support. Though I lost my temper after the last couple of posts ...
( Last edited by ShALLaX; Feb 2, 2009 at 08:40 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShALLaX View Post
Funny. I checked the rebate website... without doing a thing, my claim status has changed to:

Your claim has been approved on 30.01.09 and is scheduled for immediate payment.

Payment will be issued in the amount of 95 GBP by cheque."

(No, it wasn't like that yesterday, despite the date indicated.)
It seems that someone thought about how you were caught up in misinformation and poor performance by an employee and did something about it. Good for you-and them for making things right, even though it took more prodding than it should have.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 11:08 PM

so the question remains. since you know that you shouldn't be getting the discount, will you give your check (cheque) back to apple?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 03:45 AM

In summary. Mail-in rebates suck.

I just had 2 rebates rejected, one for $150 and one for $60, because my invoice didn't have a shipping date. I call the company who handles the rebates, and told them it wasn't a requirement mentioned on the rebate. They said even though it's not mentioned on the rebate, the merchant requires it. WTF? I blame the stupid merchant.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2009, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
so the question remains. since you know that you shouldn't be getting the discount, will you give your check (cheque) back to apple?
I should be getting a cheque. I was told by the two separate sales assistants that I would receive one. By law that means I must receive the discount.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
He was led to believe by representatives of Apple that he *should* be getting the discount. He made his purchase based on that information. He can't easily return that purchase since he gave it away as a gift assuming that his discount was in the mail. There is absolutely no reason that he should give the cheque back to Apple.

If Apple doesn't want this kind of thing to happen, they should make certain that their sales staff are better informed about the rules around their promotions (it can't be too difficult, since the only rebate program Apple has is the education laptop+iPod deal) or that sales staff aren't pressured so much toward upselling that they are inclined to mislead customers.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2009, 03:53 PM

Huzzah:

Your claim has been approved and paid on 30.01.09. Please allow adequate time for funds to reach your account.

Payment has been issued in the amount of 95 GBP by cheque."

rickcamp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 06:06 PM

I suggest a letter or call to your State Attorney General's Office. This is just the kind of business runaround they do very well with.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2009, 07:03 PM

why? the issue has been resolved.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
why? the issue has been resolved.
Probably replied without reading all of the thread. The issue isn't resolved until I have the money in my bank, though ... It does seem like a rare occurrence, however, so I don't feel the need to take it any further.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2009, 06:53 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules