Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Numerous 5400 questions

Numerous 5400 questions
KianD
Nov 1, 2004, 02:55 PM

I've got a 5400 with a clean install of 8.5 off a commercial CD. However, I can't figure out some things... I'm about to update to 8.6 so I can install Mozilla 1.0.2 and hopefully get it out on the net itself

Firstly - how and where do I configure the comms slot modem? Its got a 33.6 Geoport modem in the comms slot that seems totally ignored by the Internet Setup wizard - all it offers me are modems attached to the modem and printer serial ports.

Secondly - Where do I configure the IRDa? I thought there was an Infrared control panel, but I can't find it either enabled or disabled. Also, is it data IR, or just remote controller IR?

Thirdly - is there any point in upgrading to System 9 on this machine? All I use it for is Photoshop 4, to avoid having to use Windows - BeOS user generally. Would System 9 be much slower than 8.6 is?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 11:52 PM

2nd- the ir thing is really weird, as far as I know with hours of scouring the KB at Apple, it can only receive signals. If you get a universal remote you are able to find a wave frequency that will match that off the macs. You can power it on, raise and lower the volume, and my personal favorite, turn it off.

3rd- You can stick two 64mb Memory Sticks in there for 136 mb's of ram. Now if you have > or = 64 mb's of ram then a push to 9.1 w/ OS 9 Helper isn't a bad idea, it might even help you out w/ that ancient modem. I slapped 9.2on my 6500 w/ 64 mb's of ram and it's chugging along.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by KianD:
Secondly - Where do I configure the IRDa? I thought there was an Infrared control panel, but I can't find it either enabled or disabled. Also, is it data IR, or just remote controller IR?
You can run the System Installer again to add the IR control panel, or extract it from the CD with TomeViewer.

KianD  (op)
Nov 2, 2004, 08:23 PM

Thanks. I finally got the Farallon network card to work after this reinstall, no-go on the damaged 8.5B it had earlier, so the modem is no longer needed. Will get the IR control panel off the CD later on.

finboy
Nov 10, 2004, 01:55 PM

The IR is just for the remote control. MacResQ used to have some of these, and they're cool.

If you put a TV card in it, be careful which one you get. Go to Apple Support and read up on it, only the latest ones (Rev. C I think) have the proper shielding for working with a PPC machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules