Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google's Schmidt says Google encryption superior to Apple's

Google's Schmidt says Google encryption superior to Apple's
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 3, 2014, 08:25 AM

Google chairman Eric Schmidt has fought back against comments over the company's security and privacy, following comments laid out by Apple CEO Tim Cook. In an interview which touched upon a recent open letter about privacy from Cook, Schmidt claims "Someone didn't brief [Cook] correctly on Google's policies. It's unfortunate for him."

In the letter, Cook advised that Apple doesn't "monetize the information you store on your iPhone or in iCloud," "read your email or your messages," nor "build a profile based on your email content or web browsing habits to sell to advertisers," heavily implying this to be a core part of Google's workings. Cook also stressed the company did not work with "any government agency from any country" on backdoors for its services or providing access to servers.

Speaking to CNN Money, Schmidt initially defends Google by claiming "Our systems are far more secure and encrypted than anyone else, including Apple. They're catching up, which is great." While admitting to showing advertisements in Gmail, "which we've done for a decade and used that information for nothing," Schmidt dismissed Cook's commentary by saying "All the other things he implied, we don't do."

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt

In the wake of the ongoing celebrity image leaks, Schmidt states that Google works "incredibly hard" to keep data private, and that the company offers systems to take that data away. Schmidt offers "Notice there's no significant data breaches at Google" as a final jab, citing the accusations that Apple's servers were the weak link for the leaks. Google itself is being threatened with a $100 million lawsuit over the photographs, for apparently failing to remove the images from view.

It is noted that, while it is true Google has yet to be the victim of a major intrusion, Google's privacy record is not blemish-free. It received a record $22.5 million fine from the FTC in 2012, after it worked around a no-cookie policy in Safari, received severe criticism and governmental interference in its attempts to create a single unified privacy policy that covers all Google services, and earlier this year, it received yet more fines over its Street View Wi-Fi data collection activities from 2009.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 3, 2014, 09:00 AM

Yeah, then why have ads in emails, Schmidt? What's the purpose if not to monetize?

I'd be more worried that Android is the platform for 98% of all mobile malware than worrying about what Apple says.

JeffHarris
Oct 3, 2014, 09:25 AM

Hah. What else is he going to say?

"Our encryption blows? But to counter that, we worked out a deal where the government pays us for keys to the back door. So, with Google EVERYTHING is for sale. How great is that?"

growlf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2014, 09:51 AM

Since Eric Schmidt has publicly stated that "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place", I wonder why Google is encrypting anything?

Nevermind, it's only encrypted until Google accepts payment.

(Yes, all hyperbole, but this guy is just gross.)

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2014, 10:06 AM

Google security far more secure and encrypted than everybody else? Make me laugh!
We all know NSA is tapping Google from the inside:
http://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2013/10/30/74e85052-6de7-11e3-913e-14feb5ca9861/ab5b6b4e851610ff5d4498a494ff6f38/nsa_google_clou_detail.jpg

mozart11
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2014, 10:25 AM

I don't trust one word that comes out of the mouth of Eric Schmidt.

cashxx
Oct 3, 2014, 11:55 AM

Who has the history of lying? Schmidt is a scum!

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2014, 12:51 PM

If Google and Apple want to publicly compete for greater privacy through encryption, I'm all for it.

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2014, 01:24 PM

Unfortunate for Schmidt he doesn't know what he's talking about. The U.S. Government already knows Apple's encryption is so good they can't break it. I have not heard anything about Google's being that good.
He's just another Samscum trying to be like Apple but FAILING!

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2014, 01:26 PM

If Google was about privacy then every time I searched for something it wouldn't show up on every webpage after about what I just searched for. So much for privacy Google.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2014, 09:51 PM

And here I thought Ballmer's exit from Microsoft would leave us without a Ballmer. How wrong I was!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Stuke
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2014, 10:27 PM

When you've failed to be like Steve, but have already one of the ultimate golden parachutes for your nest egg, what harm is there is saying anything and not caring whether your wrong? He's just beating his chest in hopes he can intimate/get the attention of the true alpha male.
--
Stuke

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2014, 11:24 PM

As chimaera alluded to, "privacy" and "encryption" are two very different things. Encryption can be a large part of privacy, but having the "strongest encryption" doesn't necessarily mean you're protecting someone's privacy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules